• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

some Dope's never learn....

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Cervelo Test Team rider Ted King riding the tour of Austria hooked up online for velonews live MBM report on todays TdF stage with an interesting insight about Ricco....

"Ted King: I have no interest in talking to him whatsoever. In the final tough 15km yesterday, my teammate Stefan attacked a handful of times. As I said, Stefan is about 9th in GC so he has a chance to do something really good in this his home race. But when he was caught, Ricco reamed him out for attacking. That's sickening, to be frank."

"Ted King: To be honest, there are very very few people who bother the entire peloton. Ricco, however, falls into that category."

"Ted King: I'll be terse in my view of Ricco to answer the Recent Comments off to the right of this window. Yes, he's unrepentent, he's unsympathetic, he's unapologetic. He doped, served his time, and is back in the winner's circle immediately."

"Ted King: He's rude to his teammates, rude to the peloton, rude to his competitors."

seems like he's made for RadioSmack....:rolleyes:

Benotti69 said:
Cervelo Test Team rider Ted King riding the tour of Austria hooked up online for velonews live MBM report on todays TdF stage with an interesting insight about Ricco....

"Ted King: I have no interest in talking to him whatsoever. In the final tough 15km yesterday, my teammate Stefan attacked a handful of times. As I said, Stefan is about 9th in GC so he has a chance to do something really good in this his home race. But when he was caught, Ricco reamed him out for attacking. That's sickening, to be frank."

"Ted King: To be honest, there are very very few people who bother the entire peloton. Ricco, however, falls into that category."

"Ted King: I'll be terse in my view of Ricco to answer the Recent Comments off to the right of this window. Yes, he's unrepentent, he's unsympathetic, he's unapologetic. He doped, served his time, and is back in the winner's circle immediately."

"Ted King: He's rude to his teammates, rude to the peloton, rude to his competitors."

Well reading an interview with Denifl on orf.at it seems the main problem is exactly the bolded part. I doubt that he would have minded a less competitive Ricco (and Sella). :eek:

BTW, Denifl doesn't speak italian according to the same interview, so Ricco can spare his venom. :p

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

i could have told you this based on his comments and general attitude to his fiance/childs mother etc.. also to be honest i dont like his ***** *** face he literally looks like a ***. im rarely wrong about people.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
It's a shame for Ricco that he isn't a cancer survivor from a country with a large population who don't really "get" cycling yet....

Then they'd all have to love him, and I'm sure that Ol' Cera incident would have been brushed under the carpet...

A

Anonymous

Ricco

Mongol_Waaijer said:
It's a shame for Ricco that he isn't a cancer survivor from a country with a large population who don't really "get" cycling yet...

Then they'd all have to love him, and I'm sure that Ol' Cera incident would have been brushed under the carpet...

Ricco IS a cancer, and he's lucky he is from a country where doped riders are more common than olive trees, where the population "gets" cycling, but doesn't "get" the cheating part. They don't have to sweep anything under the carpet, they put it on the mantel over the fireplace.

brewerjeff said:
Ricco IS a cancer, and he's lucky he is from a country where doped riders are more common than olive trees, where the population "gets" cycling, but doesn't "get" the cheating part. They don't have to sweep anything under the carpet, they put it on the mantel over the fireplace.

Why are you singling Italy out? There are cheaters in every sport/competition in every country on the planet.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
brewerjeff said:

Is he American???

May 20, 2010
Visit site
forty four said:
i could have told you this based on his comments and general attitude to his fiance/childs mother etc.. also to be honest i dont like his ***** *** face he literally looks like a ***. im rarely wrong about people.
I swear i was about to say the exactly same thing, using very similar comparisons

I have a dual view on this matter- no denial that Ricco is a punk-has a filthy mouth & his reputation stinks-however-he got punished, did his time & is racing-but not with a team where he'd like to, neither he's competing in a GT or mayor races-duo to his team not getting invited (likely because of his presence) so he has more time to prepare himself & win as much as he can. Plus the top competition is riding elsewhere..so I see him performing well above the ones he rides against...

I'll have a problem when he gets his way to a ProTeam-which BTW will happen regardless-and start riding Contador & the Schleck Bro's off his wheel-then thre is no denial he's back to his old dirty habits..

roundabout said:
Well reading an interview with Denifl on orf.at it seems the main problem is exactly the bolded part. I doubt that he would have minded a less competitive Ricco (and Sella). :eek:

For the record, Lelle has been back for about a year now (his one year ban ended in August 2009) and spent most of late 2008 giving information that has helped clamp down on doping. He has spent most of 2009 and 2010 being spat on by Italian Continental riders whose suppliers, friends etc. were implied, and maybe because he took away their access, at least temporarily, to a chance to dope their way into a higher level career.

If you look at Sella's results since returning, they haven't been particularly stellar - 2009 saw him only win a stage of a very minor Spanish race and come 3rd overall behind Ventoso and that mammoth of cycling Ibon Zugasti... and this year he was mostly in the 10-15 area in Coppi e Bartali, 9th in the Settimana Lombarda, 52nd in the Giro del Trentino, before hitting 2nd in the GP Kanton Aargau, and now doing well in the mountains of Austria. It's taken him the best part of a year to get back to performing at a high level in the mountains, which of course were his speciality, and so I don't think that's as suspicious or damning as Riccò coming back and winning straight away, or even Vino, who came back about the same time as Sella and who has won a monument and come top 10 in a Grand Tour between then and Sella's first top level performances after returning.