• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sonny Colbrelli

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
No more dirty than any other Bardiani rider/ young Italian rider, perhaps on a small programme, but nothing major.

He *could* be clean, depending on your cynicism level... he appears a genuine talent though.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
GuyIncognito said:
Funny. Pretty much the same exact skills as Fischer in 2005, with the same results in the same races

Wonder if this is also going to be a one off

Has Fischer ever ended up within one minute of the winner on a Giro mountain finish?

hrotha said:
What makes you think that?
He came almost out of nowhere and he isn't *that* young. He could be clean, and he still wouldn't look like a genuine talent.

Colbrelli was one of the biggest talents in the italian amateur scene back in 2010. That year he won 7 races in Italy in the Zalf team and was said to be one for the future, along with Battaglin if I reckon correctly. Check his results from the Juniors until now and you will see that he was always one of the best cyclists of his age who had a slow development in the transition from U23 to the professional scene.

http://www.cyclingarchives.com/coureurfiche.php?coureurid=48356#uitslagen

He and Tom Van Asbroeck had a similar progression this year, also being both from 1990.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
hrotha said:
What makes you think that?
He came almost out of nowhere and he isn't *that* young. He could be clean, and he still wouldn't look like a genuine talent.

As an U23 Colbrelli scored many close results. And he's had good results ever since turning pro and he's always been a good allrounder. For instance Van Asbroeck has the same breakthrough with Topsport, but I don't hear many rumours on the performances of him and the whole team.

I hope Sonny shows his big engine at Sky to prove that he's the real deal.