• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Spanish Footballer Dies

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm thinking exactly the same thing even if it didn't happen in cycling... A healthy 26-year old doesn't suddenly die of a heart attack.

RIP and my condolences to his family, nevertheless.

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Danilot said:
I'm thinking exactly the same thing even if it didn't happen in cycling... A healthy 26-year old doesn't suddenly die of a heart attack.

RIP and my condolences to his family, nevertheless.

I agree. A healthy 26-year old with permanent custody of a physician.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
slcbiker said:
It does happen. Try Googling Marfan syndrome and look at the athletes that have died from that.
google Arsene Venger slc

Venger said his Spanish signings about 4 years ago, all arrived with funny blood values.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
TheArbiter said:
It does happen occasionally. A young cyclist died in the tour of Quatar last year and I believe they said it was not drug related.
ofcourse they said that, they also refused an autopsy.

Frederick Nolf

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
slcbiker said:
It does happen. Try Googling Marfan syndrome and look at the athletes that have died from that.

Marfan is a syndrome with goes along with a great amount of symptoms, including various anomalities of heart and blood vessles. But the symptoms (even before sth happens) usually are quite obvious, so that any physician should know before.

May 12, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
google Arsene Venger slc

Venger said his Spanish signings about 4 years ago, all arrived with funny blood values.

That would be Wenger, not Venger. And having been a Gooner for years, I don't really remember such being said about Fabregas or any of the other recent Spanish signings.

Mind you, there's almost certainly a doping problem in football as much as in cycling. Just more money there so it gets covered up better.
Just trying to point out that young athletes do occasionally die from undetected heart defects and the like.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I was actually thinking it could have been recreational drugs or something like that. Maybe he was dehyrated... Maybe he went to "high" on epo and then was dehyrated. Maybe he had that Wolf Parkinson white syndrome...Huh

May 6, 2009
Visit site
There was a case last year where former French defender Lilian Thuram was to make his move from Spanish club FC Barcelona to French team Paris Saint Germain and whilst he was doing his medical they found he had a rare heart condition.

RIP to Dani Jarque though and my thoughts to his family. Turns out he had a child on the way as well.

slcbiker said:

Yes, it does happen. My colleagues brother fell dead with a heart attack during low-level amateur football training. They never figured out the cause, but for sure he wasn't doping.

People die all the time. Look how many pro football player Europe has, all between 16 and 40. Healthy young men, educated to take good care of themselves. Compare their health with recreational athletes, or even couch patatoes.
Every single pro football player that drops dead, WILL make it to the headlines. If I drop dead here (32) right after hitting "Submit Reply", I'll be part of harder-to-research statistics.

I'm sure some football players will dope to keep up their lifestyle. And, I'm sure their docs are less informed, unless they have endurance sports experience.

TRENDING THREADS