• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Spartacus

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Fabian Cancellara

Is there a more exciting rider to watch today?

From his win at stage three of the Tour in 2007 to his train-driving at this year’s Tour to the Olympics bronze to his animation of the World Championships, it’s impossible not to be impressed by his performances. There just aren’t many riders (1?) in the world who can ride the peloton off his wheel. There’s nothing original here, just thought Cancellara deserved kudos for making the sport so exciting. He could be content to sit back and win every time trial (and I find time trials rather boring), but he wants more.

Here’s to many more years from Spartacus.

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
With regards to Spatacus at the worlds, his tactics were like his name sake futile. Winning bike races is not about showing how strong you are but using that strenght to win the race. He did way to much work on the front to the extent that when the winning break went everybody that was left expected him to pull it back. I think the occasion may have got to him... i'm not dissing him he was great to watch and could have won ... Evans is a deserving winner....and I thank God Vino didn't win:D.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Irish2009 said:
With regards to Spatacus at the worlds, his tactics were like his name sake futile. Winning bike races is not about showing how strong you are but using that strenght to win the race. He did way to much work on the front to the extent that when the winning break went everybody that was left expected him to pull it back. I think the occasion may have got to him... i'm not dissing him he was great to watch and could have won ... Evans is a deserving winner....and I thank God Vino didn't win:D.

I don't know...

What was Sparticuss supposed to be do? He can't sprint and I'm sure he was worried about someone like Evans. His only hope was for a long break away.

Second Vino not winning. Wish he'd just go away.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:
I don't know...

What was Sparticuss supposed to be do? He can't sprint and I'm sure he was worried about someone like Evans. His only hope was for a long break away.

Oh - I like Vino - he brings colour and movement to every race.

It was his attack that prompted Kolobnev into action, which prompted Cancellara into action, which prompted...

richwagmn said:
I don't know...

Ummm... he's shown more than once he can be competitive against way better "sprinters" than Cadel Evans. Remember stage 11 of the 07 Tour into Montpellier? Cancellara was only just outsprinted by Robbie Hunter for the stage.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
GoGarmin said:
Fabian Cancellara

Is there a more exciting rider to watch today?

From his win at stage three of the Tour in 2007 to his train-driving at this year’s Tour to the Olympics bronze to his animation of the World Championships, it’s impossible not to be impressed by his performances. There just aren’t many riders (1?) in the world who can ride the peloton off his wheel. There’s nothing original here, just thought Cancellara deserved kudos for making the sport so exciting. He could be content to sit back and win every time trial (and I find time trials rather boring), but he wants more.

Here’s to many more years from Spartacus.

He pretty much is the sh^t. Saxobank has become one of my favorite teams.

They had like three guys in a break at the ToM this year. Saxobank riders never give up.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Tugboat said:
Ummm... he's shown more than once he can be competitive against way better "sprinters" than Cadel Evans. Remember stage 11 of the 07 Tour into Montpellier? Cancellara was only just outsprinted by Robbie Hunter for the stage.

What about that time when Canc jumped the sprinters during St 04 of the 2007 tour. It was a slow stage but Cancellara powered on an owned the sprinters. He just used brute force to pump his pistons(legs).

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
+1

soOpOSMthanks! said:
i really hate that nickname
me too.

I agree that it is awesome that he doesn't settle for just time trial wins, he's aggressive in road races as well. He wasted a lot of energy at the worlds, would've had a better chance with slightly different tactics

Stoked that Cadel won though

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
anyone know where the nickname came from ? A lot of people call him Fabu too.

Great rider and wish I had the same power as he does. Not sure if he will ever het a GT win though but think he he was protected more in a GT he could improve his performances

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
I think he got the name after his win in the 2008 Milan-San Remo. I had believed that he attacked solo at about 1km to go out of the main bunch and held off all the spinter's teams, but I just watched the video, and he attacked out of a smaller group containing Pozzato and Rebellin among others. The bunch was maybe 15-20s back.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Cancellara is a brilliant racer, his only hope of beating the climbers like evans, sanchez, and cunego was to drive the train and get a gap on descents and the little flat there was. He was still 5th to. Vino can go away, he is a ****er.

TRENDING THREADS