• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Specialized Allez?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
luckyboy said:
Think it'd look better with silver than the red does. And yeah, Bianchi's are probably the nicest bikes to look at (no experience with them though). I like Wilier and Merckx too.

+1 I've had a soft spot for Bianchi's because of Pantani (favourite rider when I first got into cycling). The Merckx also look good, but that could also just be because of the name. Plus Merckx are actually Pinarello's with a more laid back geometry.

Haven't ridden either, well other than the Bianchi Pista I rode at a track development class.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Ugh, the seller sold it to someone else this morning despite telling me that he was only free tonight at 8pm. Sucks. ****er.

Now, the options I've been looking at are another 08 Allez (however, the frame size might be too small), a year old Giant Defy 2.5, and a Gianr SCR3.

Any opinions on the Giants? The Defy looks pretty good.

Not sure if you've already stated this, but what's your budget? I got my basic model Allez new for £440 after a discount. My view for what it's worth is that the frame is good, but the basic equipment very heavy, but you can upgrade the latter as and when you get the money.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
El Oso said:
+1 I've had a soft spot for Bianchi's because of Pantani (favourite rider when I first got into cycling). The Merckx also look good, but that could also just be because of the name. Plus Merckx are actually Pinarello's with a more laid back geometry.

Haven't ridden either, well other than the Bianchi Pista I rode at a track development class.

I bought a basic model Bianchi steel frame in Belgium in 1998. It was (is) heavy, but the ride quality was great, far better than a number of handbuilt British frames I'd bought in the past. I bought a Merckx frame from a famous auction site about five years ago, but have never built it up. The original owner has since made an offer to buy it back!

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Update: Met a guy on Monday night and the result is that I have a black 2008 Allez for £200. Got some accessories too, and they are all back home in North Wales with me now :D

Nice one!
Whereabouts in North Wales? I was brought up on the Wirral and most of our club rides went there, Ruthin, Denbigh, Llangollen....

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
luckyboy said:
A little village called Rhuddlan - it's near Rhyl if you know where that is.

A note: Sora shifters :( Everything else is Tiagra, but man these are annoying..

Nice area. My uncle's got a house at Prestatyn so not too far away. Rhuddlan's one of my favourite castles. Have you been out to Two Mills cafe on the Chester road?

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
David Suro said:
Specialized has a bike on the market called the Allez Classic. It is very inexpensive and low-tech. It has down-tube shifters, which would be a disadvantage in racing but just fine for club rides and general fitness riding.

The best thing about the Allez Classic is that it has a steel frame. The standard Allez is aluminum, which I would not suggest to anyone.

If you are looking for a great price on a new bike that would be a lot of fun for general riding, I think the Allez Classic is a great choice.

I had trouble finding that on the site

got a link

laziali said:
If you're after a second hand bike, get yourself a Colnago instead. Best frames in the world for decades. End of story.

I don't know how you can seriously say a Colnago frame is any better than a Gios, DeRosa, or Pinarello frame?

Anyway, I think Colnago made a huge mistake when they decided to have their cheaper frames built in Asia by other people. I won't even think about buying a new Colnago because I would always be worried that I wasn't getting the genuine article.

What do you think would happen if Ferrari decided to have their "low end" models built in China or Taiwan instead? That's right, it would ruin the reputation of the entire brand.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
SlantParallelogram said:
I don't know how you can seriously say a Colnago frame is any better than a Gios, DeRosa, or Pinarello frame?

Anyway, I think Colnago made a huge mistake when they decided to have their cheaper frames built in Asia by other people. I won't even think about buying a new Colnago because I would always be worried that I wasn't getting the genuine article.

What do you think would happen if Ferrari decided to have their "low end" models built in China or Taiwan instead? That's right, it would ruin the reputation of the entire brand.

Bold bit. Because it is a matter of subjective opinion.

Second point you make - that's why one buys a Colnago that's still made, or at least finished, in Cambiasso.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Off topic but in response to the latest xenophobe/neo con postings, just because a frame is sourced in Asia does not necessarily mean that QC is any worse than a European/US made frame facility. Anecdotally, I can attest to the fact that the QC at Bianchi for their Italian-made carbon bikes is questionable (2 returned frames, 1 with b/b shell bonding issues and the other with critical failure at b/b-chainstay). Can't vouch for Colnago off shore/Trek or Specialized QC but I know of one LBS owner who has not had a Trek or Specialized frame failure in the last 5 years and he is a top 10 volume dealer for both brands.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
LugHugger said:
Off topic but in response to the latest xenophobe/neo con postings, just because a frame is sourced in Asia does not necessarily mean that QC is any worse than a European/US made frame facility. Anecdotally, I can attest to the fact that the QC at Bianchi for their Italian-made carbon bikes is questionable (2 returned frames, 1 with b/b shell bonding issues and the other with critical failure at b/b-chainstay). Can't vouch for Colnago off shore/Trek or Specialized QC but I know of one LBS owner who has not had a Trek or Specialized frame failure in the last 5 years and he is a top 10 volume dealer for both brands.

Well said....... Although I think you are too fair on Bianchi. I would have said their frames are liquid piles of SH!T.

TRENDING THREADS