• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Specialized's golden boy?

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Long time lurker, but something's mildly bothering me, hence first time poster. So, please, be gentle. ;)

Lots of rumours flying around that Specialized might join the new Riis-SunGard-(probably) Contador team, and may even be exclusive supplier to them - i.e. Specialized supply only what could be the Specialized SunGard team.

If so, where does that leave Specialized's other sponsored riders, particularly the Riis-departing Schlecks?

I know Contador has a personal sponsorship with Specialized, but looking at this ad, you'd have thought that Baby Schleck was their golden boy. Maybe not.

BTW, I know Contador is not comfortable with English, but it does make me wonder if he really understood what he was saying? Surely he wouldn't have let Baby Schleck score so many hits on him? :p

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
EmpressJo said:
Long time lurker, but something's mildly bothering me, hence first time poster. So, please, be gentle. ;)

Lots of rumours flying around that Specialized might join the new Riis-SunGard-(probably) Contador team, and may even be exclusive supplier to them - i.e. Specialized supply only what could be the Specialized SunGard team.

If so, where does that leave Specialized's other sponsored riders, particularly the Riis-departing Schlecks?

I know Contador has a personal sponsorship with Specialized, but looking at this ad, you'd have thought that Baby Schleck was their golden boy. Maybe not.

BTW, I know Contador is not comfortable with English, but it does make me wonder if he really understood what he was saying? Surely he wouldn't have let Baby Schleck score so many hits on him? :p

I wouldn't be surprised if Specialized is only providing bikes to Contador's team next year, especially if the rumors of Specialized taking on more of a financial role with his new team are true.

However, why would Specialized want to lose the two riders who have a good chance of dominating cycling for the next few years?

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
ManInFull said:
However, why would Specialized want to lose the two riders who have a good chance of dominating cycling for the next few years?

Why indeed? It would be silly of Specialized to do so - they'd be putting all their eggs in one basket. Let alone the Schlecks, you might add in whoever they take with them next year and/or anyone else from Saxo Bank forced to make way for Contador and his Spanish armada.

If Specialized want (continued) success, they need to keep spreading the love.

EmpressJo said:
Why indeed? It would be silly of Specialized to do so - they'd be putting all their eggs in one basket. Let alone the Schlecks, you might add in whoever they take with them next year and/or anyone else from Saxo Bank forced to make way for Contador and his Spanish armada.

If Specialized want (continued) success, they need to keep spreading the love.

Not really. Trek had plenty of success sponsoring one team. Cervelo sponsors one team. Sure, it's nice to have both Contador and Schleck, but if they take on a major sponsorship role with Contador, I doubt they can do both.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
EmpressJo said:

I don't like to write the same. But Contador speaks and understands English. OK, he has an accent but he already gave press conferences and interviews in English. Be true, how much Spanish do you understand or speak?

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
isayic said:
OK, he has an accent but he already gave press conferences and interviews in English. Be true, how much Spanish do you understand or speak?

True, he might give interviews in English, but he's not comfortable doing so, which is understandable.

As for how much Spanish I understand and speak? Despite the fact that I'm Australian - known for our linguistic laziness - I'm actually fluent, courtesy of a year of student exchange. ;)

ManInFull said:

I think being a name sponsor for a whole team is worth a lot more than being bike sponsor for two diffrent teams. Who knows if they even have the sponsoring budget to fully support a whole team while still backing another team with bikes. There could also be exclusivity clauses involved as well of course.

The new Luxembourg team will probably take bikes from whatever mfgr makes them the best deal. Specialized would probably like to keep the Shlecks, but may not pony up for what it costs if they take on more obligations to SunGard/Riis/Contador.

-dB

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Not sure if Pinarello would need to since they already cover Sky. Time is not currently in the PT since Bbox switched to Colnago so look for them to get back in the fold.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Denkoff said:
Specialized realy god of cycling Industry

i think they make some of the best bikes as well. i watched that vid pretty funny what the hell is the deal with contadors voice? i had never heard it before he needs to work on that way worse than say cadel.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
forty four said:
i think they make some of the best bikes as well. i watched that vid pretty funny what the hell is the deal with contadors voice? i had never heard it before he needs to work on that way worse than say cadel.

About 2 years ago there was a report that he had polyps on his vocal chords. Was going to get them removed after his Vuelta win, but changed his mind. I haven't seen anything on the subject since, and it sounds like he still has them.

But you know, we don't expect opera singers to race bikes well (or even at all!) so why should we require a cycling star to have a golden voice? :rolleyes:

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
isayic said:
I don't like to write the same. But Contador speaks and understands English. OK, he has an accent but he already gave press conferences and interviews in English. Be true, how much Spanish do you understand or speak?

yea and it went something like this

cykling be berry berry good to me. I go in da mountaines and maybes I wate to sees andy goes you know its ok no?

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
EmpressJo said:
True, he might give interviews in English, but he's not comfortable doing so, which is understandable.

As for how much Spanish I understand and speak? Despite the fact that I'm Australian - known for our linguistic laziness - I'm actually fluent, courtesy of a year of student exchange. ;)

I'd love to hear your spanish accent and how much of a fluent spanish you speak.

P.S: I'm spaniard.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
forty four said:

Don't expect the Anglo endorsements to be very firm, unless they can get Matthew McConaughey to do a voice-over.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
unsheath said:
Not sure if Pinarello would need to since they already cover Sky. Time is not currently in the PT since Bbox switched to Colnago so look for them to get back in the fold.

The Schlecks would be a pretty good grab for any manufacturer to pick up. Any northern Euro brands floating about?

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Either way, it looks like we'll have an answer sooner rather than later, judging by this.

rakugaki said:
I'd love to hear your spanish accent and how much of a fluent spanish you speak.

I'm sure you would. ;) But I can tell you now I speak Spanish with a distinct Australian accent. Just like Contador speaks English with a distinct Spanish accent - it's expected, isn't it?

TRENDING THREADS