• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Speed Gel

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lotto-soudal-query-uci-decision-to-ban-speed-gel/
Lotto Soudal manager Marc Sergeant has questioned the UCI’s decision to ban the so-called ‘speed gel’ that the team used during the team and individual time trials at the Criterium du Dauphine last week. Sergeant likened the gel, which leaves deposits of small ‘washing powder’ balls on the riders' legs, to the dimple inserts used by Team Sky in their skinsuits.

The odd-looking gel was visible on the legs of the riders during the prologue and team time trial during last week’s Dauphine but was notable in its absence in the opening team chrono at the Tour de Suisse. The gel is sprayed onto the legs and leaves the washing powder ball-like deposits, which are meant to reduce drag on the leg. It is also said to help with cooling.

“I received a call from Jean-Christophé Péraud, the UCI Materials and Equipment manager,” Sergeant told Het Nieuwsblad. “He told me that it is not allowed, that they will investigate the matter and that the regulations – with the Tour at the door – will be adjusted in the coming weeks.

Should this be allowed and does it help?

Re: Re:

GenericBoonenFan said:
King Boonen said:
GenericBoonenFan said:
I'm intrigued to as why this gel is not allowed but the sky-skinsuits are?
They're basically the same only that in the skinsuits its embedded in the fabric...

You've answered your own questions there!
Is there a specific rule I'm forgetting about or is this another "let's-not-piss-of-the-guys-with-the-most-money" scenario?

Basically you can't add things just to make yourself more aero, they have to be integral to the material.

Lets not forget that Movistar were using drag-reducing suits before Sky were.

Re: Re:

Robert5091 said:
King Boonen said:
There's a very obvious joke here...

I'm moving this to the PRR forum as it isn't about doping.

I thought as it was banned it should go in the "naughty" section - thanks for moving though! (joke about faster not always being better, I suppose? :))

I think it's ok here as it isn't something they're trying to hide so not the same as doping and motors. It'll probably get more discussion here too.

Along the lines of there being gels that apparently do the opposite...

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
Re:

GenericBoonenFan said:
I'm intrigued to as why this gel is not allowed but the sky-skinsuits are?
They're basically the same only that in the skinsuits its embedded in the fabric...
Movistar found an even more subtle way:
tumblr_osh2yzd2Sy1ropreyo1_1280.jpg

TRENDING THREADS