• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Speedplay pedals - yay or nay?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
fabramowski said:
I have a pair of speedplay S.S. red, I will sell cheap plus with a couple of cleats included if you want to try them out. I used them for about 2 years and I hated cleaning them so often and the plastic body gets ruffed uped by use. Also they are not cheap to fix either.....

Have you tried to 'fix' a LOOK, Time, shimano pedal? How expensive was that?

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
My two cents...

I've been on Shimano for a number of years. I was curious about Speedplay and asked three different LBS about them. I always got a response along the lines of, "Why do you want to try those?" They all seemed to want me to justify my interest as if they were looking for a way out of being complicit to my purchase!
Not exactly a ringing endorsement. As a result I'm still using Shimano. I'm always curious though.

The polarization on this topic is interesting. Obviously, it's a very personal choice.

As for the walking issues:
Are we talking road use or MTB/CX?
For road, I never walk more than a few steps in my driveway and the least amount of steps when stopping for water/food. Is that what people are referring to? They do make cleat covers so...:confused:

Along those lines, has anyone tried the SP Frog model? They're advertised as having a "recessed walkable cleat."

If you care about abuse of patent and trademark law then you will want to stay far away from Greedplay. This is a company that uses lawyers to threaten its own customers. And it you don't like your pedals and want to sell them on eBay, Greedplay will have your auction pulled. A nasty company.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I have speedplay zeros for a year and here are my thoughts...

* I still don't find them hat easy to get into. You can't just step down as speedplay says because you're not sure if your cleat is exactly over the pedal so you still have to slide your foot a bit before you can step down. I don't see any improvement over traditional pedals where you catch your toe first and then step down. As a matter of fact, a traditional toe first entry system provides better feedback IMO.

* They initially feel like your walking on ice. I've never had a pedal with such "free" float before. This does go away though.

* Cleats seem pretty susceptible to dirt. I've never really had to do cleat maintenance before but with SPs you do. I end up taking off the four screws and cleaning out all around the metal ring and then relubing it. Seems like a trap for dirt.

I'm still on the fence. I have a set of time RXSs still sitting around and I may switch back.

BroDeal said:
If you care about abuse of patent and trademark law then you will want to stay far away from Greedplay. This is a company that uses lawyers to threaten its own customers. And it you don't like your pedals and want to sell them on eBay, Greedplay will have your auction pulled. A nasty company.

IF YOU care about(or know about) abuse of patent and trademark law then you would support SP.

If ya don't like them fine and dandy but if you'd like to comment, at least be accurate. There are 51 ebay auctions going on right now for SP...most for pedals. None hare being pulled, not have been pulled.

They did NOT threaten their own customers, just the guy that was infringing on their intellectual property. If the guy got such a raw deal, he should have sued SP, did not, will not. There is so much more to this thing than what you and I have read on this and some other forums. But at least try to be accurate in your posts.

Bustedknuckle said:
I
They did NOT threaten their own customers, just the guy that was infringing on their intellectual property. If the guy got such a raw deal, he should have sued SP, did not, will not. There is so much more to this thing than what you and I have read on this and some other forums. But at least try to be accurate in your posts.

We have gone over this before. Apparently you are slow on the uptake. I will write it out for you again. THERE WAS NO INFRINGEMENT OF GREEDPLAY'S INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY!! The person in question came to this site and explained this to you multiple times. He explained that he was selling standard bearings that can be bought at any bearing supply house. Anyone reading this can buy the same bearings. You continue to distort what happened. It is obivous that you support companies bullying people with bogus IP claims, but that does not mean you have to lie about the circumstances. Once again, THERE WAS NO INFRINGEMENT OF GREEDPLAY'S INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY!!

Speedplay has a history of pulling auctions on eBay. In addition they they have had classified ads pulled from other cycling sites. This is not a company that believes in legal and fair use of patent laws. This sort of thing is a hot button issue in the tech industry because people are fed up with companies abusing patent laws and the DMCA.

I suggest that if you want to continue to lie about IP issues that we move this part of the discussion to the other SP thread.

BroDeal said:
We have gone over this before. Apparently you are slow on the uptake. I will write it out for you again. THERE WAS NO INFRINGEMENT OF GREEDPLAY'S INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY!! The person in question came to this site and explained this to you multiple times. He explained that he was selling standard bearings that can be bought at any bearing supply house. Anyone reading this can buy the same bearings. You continue to distort what happened. It is obivous that you support companies bullying people with bogus IP claims, but that does not mean you have to lie about the circumstances. Once again, THERE WAS NO INFRINGEMENT OF GREEDPLAY'S INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY!!

Speedplay has a history of pulling auctions on eBay. In addition they they have had classified ads pulled from other cycling sites. This is not a company that believes in legal and fair use of patent laws. This sort of thing is a hot button issue in the tech industry because people are fed up with companies abusing patent laws and the DMCA.

I suggest that if you want to continue to lie about IP issues that we move this part of the discussion to the other SP thread.

I don't use the pedals myself (never got used to the pedaling on ice feel) but my shop sells quite a few of them. As a brick and mortar retail shop owner what I am really fed up with is being able to go online and see everything that I carry except for Speedplay selling through the gray market for what is legitimately my cost. That and dealing with all the "serious" bike riders who purchase everything on line until they get stuck and need our help (and always immediately) to take care of some problem they have.
I say good for Speedplay for trying to protect their primary customers.

Hugh Januss said:
I don't use the pedals myself (never got used to the pedaling on ice feel) but my shop sells quite a few of them. As a brick and mortar retail shop owner what I am really fed up with is being able to go online and see everything that I carry except for Speedplay selling through the gray market for what is legitimately my cost. That and dealing with all the "serious" bike riders who purchase everything on line until they get stuck and need our help (and always immediately) to take care of some problem they have.

Speedplay, good for bike shops, a rip-off for customers. :)

I don't think that Speedplay threatening their customers with bogus lawsuits has much to do with how messed up the cycling industry is. I keep wondering how bike shops stay in business. Their should be a mass die-off, but the gray market selling has been existed as long as I have been cycling.

You would probably hate me. I buy everything online, even consumables. This morning I ordered two pairs of gray Keo cleats. The price with the shipping may not have been that great, but the ordering was convenient. I got exactly what I wanted. If I go to a bike shop then there is a good chance that the shop will only stock the red cleats, which give a sloppy amount of float. Or instead of the bi-material cleat they might stock the grip cleats, which are not worth the extra expense for the grippy patches on the bottom.

BroDeal said:

Not slow on the uptake, just great to see you get so spooled up..over BIKE PEDALS.

You must be the guys uncle or nephew or something.

A

Anonymous

I love mine and I bought them at my local bike shop because I'd like to see them stay in business for years to come.

I walk on my cleats w/o covers with no problems. They get dirt and mud caked in and work at least as good as the Dura Ace pedals I came out of.

I use the zeros and have them adjusted to maybe 2 -3 degrees of float.

Here's the big deal. They are very easy to get in to. No fishing around, no false clip in... you just step on them until you hear the 'click' and that's it.

Five stars in my opinion.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
I love mine and I bought them at my local bike shop because I'd like to see them stay in business for years to come.

I walk on my cleats w/o covers with no problems. They get dirt and mud caked in and work at least as good as the Dura Ace pedals I came out of.

I use the zeros and have them adjusted to maybe 2 -3 degrees of float.

Here's the big deal. They are very easy to get in to. No fishing around, no false clip in... you just step on them until you hear the 'click' and that's it.

Five stars in my opinion.

I wonder whether I simply bought a duff pair, or perhaps they just weren't compatible with my Vittoria shoes because I never experienced the easy `click' clip in you mention, quite the reverse. I liked the look of the design, but they just didn't work for me.

Hawkwood said:
I wonder whether I simply bought a duff pair, or perhaps they just weren't compatible with my Vittoria shoes because I never experienced the easy `click' clip in you mention, quite the reverse. I liked the look of the design, but they just didn't work for me.

If the cleats are not shimmed exactly right then the curved sole of the shoe will cause the cleat to deflect from being in a plane and the spring clip will bind. No easy click, just like that. Check and make sure that the bottom of the cleat is absolutely flat, otherwise you will always have problems. If it is not use the shims that come with the cleats to flatten it out.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
I don't use the pedals myself (never got used to the pedaling on ice feel) but my shop sells quite a few of them. As a brick and mortar retail shop owner what I am really fed up with is being able to go online and see everything that I carry except for Speedplay selling through the gray market for what is legitimately my cost.

Welcome to the real world. The bike industry was lagging in the dark ages for a long time with exclusive supply arrangements artificially inflating prices. Now, I'm not saying it's your fault as an individual store owner but online shopping is here to stay, and thank fk for that. For what it's worth as well I don't consider that repair guy to be part of the grey market, nor do I consider people reselling used pedals on ebay that they didn't like to be grey market either. A quick look at my ebay account says I have sold around 100 items in two years, the only thing I have ever had pulled was speedplay pedals.

Hugh Januss said:
That and dealing with all the "serious" bike riders who purchase everything on line until they get stuck and need our help (and always immediately) to take care of some problem they have.

Horses for courses. What's a serious bike rider? I have been riding bikes for twenty years, I buy locally and online depending on the item. Most things I maintain and repair myself, some things the bike shop does. That's what a bike service centre is there for, to service the customer.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Hawkwood said:

I bought my Zeros the same year I was a Vittoria sales rep. Have a pair of Unlimited kicks, oh so comfy, still ride them and often, no shims needed, nothing, not a single problem to report. The effervescent "click" is there, everyday, everytime.

As this conversation has unfolded I wonder if BroDeal buys gas or pays taxes, if so he's funding much more shady entities than an uptight pedal mfg. :D;)

Hugh Januss said:

I'm with ya brother....I like anything not gray or black marketed..mostly Euro stuff these days. Colnago, Campagnolo, Conti tires, Look pedals...all goin' out the back door of these factorys to people with lots of Euros.

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
I bought my Zeros the same year I was a Vittoria sales rep. Have a pair of Unlimited kicks, oh so comfy, still ride them and often, no shims needed, nothing, not a single problem to report. The effervescent "click" is there, everyday, everytime.

As this conversation has unfolded I wonder if BroDeal buys gas or pays taxes, if so he's funding much more shady entities than an uptight pedal mfg. :D;)

Hear hear!

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Hawkwood said:

Like the one poster said before, check the shims.

Also make sure the 4 bolts holding the cleat are not too tight. If they are it will bind up the metal spring doohickey.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Cooper said:

Also make sure the 4 bolts holding the cleat are not too tight. If they are it will bind up the metal spring doohickey.

Define too tight? I tighten them to one click.

I'll also have to check the shims on my Sidis. I've never found them that easy to get into.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Cooper said:

Thanks for all the advice. I bought the SPs about 4 years ago and after struggling with them for about a year gave up. I sold them on an auction site. However having just checked Speedplay's website it looks as if either the sole of my shoe was too curved, or not curved enough. SP has a shoe compatibility guide, but for my shoe maker (Vittoria) it simply links to their website where I can't find anything. I do remember trying the different shims, but maybe I got it wrong.

I subsequently moved to Time RXE followed by Time I-Clic and have had no problems at all. Their cleats appear to fit my Vittoria shoes well.

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
Have you tried to 'fix' a LOOK, Time, shimano pedal? How expensive was that?

$2.00 for the tool to unscrew the dust cap. I just relube my shimano pedals a couple of days ago. Very easy, first time in two years of any kind of work. I would have to relube my speedplays every week because the weak o-ring is not enough to do any kind of sealing. just like BB30 seals. Junk...

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Hawkwood said:
Thanks for all the advice. I bought the SPs about 4 years ago and after struggling with them for about a year gave up. I sold them on an auction site. However having just checked Speedplay's website it looks as if either the sole of my shoe was too curved, or not curved enough. SP has a shoe compatibility guide, but for my shoe maker (Vittoria) it simply links to their website where I can't find anything. I do remember trying the different shims, but maybe I got it wrong.

I subsequently moved to Time RXE followed by Time I-Clic and have had no problems at all. Their cleats appear to fit my Vittoria shoes well.

How do you like the I-Clics compared to the RXEs? I felt more stable on my RXSes but had a problem with some play between the cleat and pedal that a new set of cleats didn't cure.

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm happiest on my xc spd's, but that's because it means I'm on a trail and not on a road. As for the speedplays on my road bike, I must have been lucky, because I haven't done **** for maintenance in about three seasons of use (either to pedal or cleats) in all kinds of conditions (mud, rain, snow, heat, dust, dirt and of course, grime). I walk on 'em, step in dirt and gravel in 'em, and throw'em by the door wet, where they sit until next time... They still perform like new (at least as far as I can remember after three years).

That said, I'll probably put spds on my road bike whenever these die because I don't like walking on them after I've had a few too many post ride brews. Sketchy.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
richwagmn said:
How do you like the I-Clics compared to the RXEs? I felt more stable on my RXSes but had a problem with some play between the cleat and pedal that a new set of cleats didn't cure.

I've got my old RXEs waiting in a box should I wish to switch back, I thought they were (are) great pedals. As you probably know one issue has been that sometimes I-Clics lock you in incorrectly, I've found that the second generation cleats have almost stopped this. I believe that there are now third generation cleats available, not sure what these will bring to the party? I haven't re-adjusted anything, plus I'm just running the cleats `square' after years of trying to set them up according to what I thought my knees needed and have been very happy. This year I plan to get back into racing, so as my mileage increases it will be interesting to see how things go with the pedals.

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I fell victim to the hype and ended up with Speedplays for both my AND my girlfriend's bikes. In short, they are worthless, useless, garbage. My left pedal works OK. My right pedal takes 2-3 times the force to unclip. I just pulled them off after one ride. I'm simply afraid to get in a wreck with them and destroy my right leg.

My girlfriend got the light actions and they're nearly impossible for her to clip into.

I'm taking mine back to the shop in the vain hope that I'll get a refund. Instead I'm sure I'll get sued by Speedplay for not silently putting up with their BS. $200 pedals should NOT need fixing out of the box!!!

If you ended up with a pair of working Speedplays, go buy a lottery ticket, you're living a charmed life.

TRENDING THREADS