• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Speedplay.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I`ve got a new pair of Speedplay Zero`s have set the cleats up correctly but am having great difficulty clipping in, has anyone else had this problem?
Can anyone provide some advice?

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Not trying to insult you here but:

1. make sure you have your L and R cleats on the correct shoes:eek:,

2, then make sure you have not over tightened the retaining screws as this will make it very tight on original fit. Just nip them up plus 1/4 turn no more.

They do loosen up as they wear in but it sounds like you can't clip in at all so that's why I suggested the first step.

hope that helps

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Try a slight twist of the foot as you push down, it doesn't have to be a pronounced twist, just slightly. Check the screws like the guy above said as well.

They will be tight a first but will loosen after a day or so riding and un-clipping.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
if the cleats are forced to conform to a curved cycling sole, then once mounted can be a real paininthearse when clipping in. This is expecially noticeable on smaller cycling shoes.

We are a speedplay family

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
dont over tighten the 4 retainer screws and as someone said also use shims if needed on curved soles also make sure to lubricate cleats with a dry teflon or similar lubricant when new and every few weeks. they also loosen with use imo the best road system on the market period when all features are considred there all i will use my knees hate all other systems i have tried and speedplays are easier in and out anyways. if you continue to have trouble switch to the x series speedplays there extremely easy to get in and out of they just do not have adjustable float. there what i sell to woman and younger riders who are new to clipless systems.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I have the x-1s, but they do require significantly more clip in pressure than Looks/ Times I've used in the past.

+1 on the lateral pressure helping too!

May 28, 2010
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Are these easier to clip in and out of than normal clipless pedals?

I have Shimano R540's, and after nearly two months my left foot still doesn't want to go in or come out. It's got to the point where I'm staying off the roads.

Much easier. Like you, I previously used Shimano for years but swapped out about 4 years ago and now I have speedplay on all my bikes as does my wife. I have never pulled out of one and recommend them. I wouldn't go any other way now.

They are easier as there is no need to orientate the pedal before engagement you just step down on it (its not even a stomp) as you can engage on either side of the pedal.

Like most things there is a technique and they are tight when new. But they are very simple to use and install.

They have free float models (light action) and another which you can adjust across a fairly good range of float (zeros). Clipping in and out is a breeze.

Hope that helps

mhmikehh said:
I`ve got a new pair of Speedplay Zero`s have set the cleats up correctly but am having great difficulty clipping in, has anyone else had this problem?

The cleats MUST be flat, why SP provides shims to ensure the cleat, metal part that engages the pedal, is completely flat. Check that.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
mhmikehh said:

Gotta be cleats like everyone else has said. Nothing to add here. Make sure to read the instructions that came with the pedal. Attaching cleats is a bit more complex (unless you happen to have 4 bolt soles).

Mine clip in and out just fine (brand new). It was a little tough to get in on the first couple of rides, but after that it's a breeze.

Might want to play with the free float settings too. I came from time RXSes and found the range a bit much for me.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Night Rider said:
Has anyone had reliability issues with Speedplay Zero pedal axles? How often do you grease them?

No reliability issues in over a decade of using both X series and Zeros. I grease every 1000 miles, or once a month. Probably overkill, but it lengthens the life span of your gear if you keep your sh*t clean.