Spoiler free worlds... please...

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Guest
isnt it nice that a thread suggesting we all show each other some courtesy and politeness ends with people being impolite and discourteous to each other.

I have insomnia :/

I actually think not discussing races outside of race threads for 24 hours after the race is a really good idea, after all, there isnt really any need to discuss races outside or race threads. Basically it happens when poster a is a huge fan of rider x and rider x finishes in the top ten and they feel the need to make a thread about it :D
 
It was a simple request. We've all been burnt before seeing results before we've watched an event. It's worlds - is it so hard to avoid spoilers for at least this one event?

We do have at least a bit of a community here. No, we don't always get along, but I'd like to think we could at least appreciate that everyone here just loves the sport. Is there anything wrong with showing a little courtesy? Maybe expecting someone to remember not to mention something in another thread is too much, but is it so much to ask people not to start a thread titled "Will the rainbow jersey curse follow X in 2011" an hour after the finish?

Sure, the safest bet is not to go anywhere near CN, but I'm sure a bunch of us like to go to the race thread and read it while we're watching the recording of a race as the play-by play is better than any of the live tickers and often times the recordings are in a language we don't understand. I know I've done that for almost every race I haven't been able to watch live.

Anyway, I will probably be able to watch it live as it will be airing at a perfect time for me, but will bookmark the race thread and any others I might want to see just in case.
 
May 25, 2010
3,371
0
0
I think the problem (for at least some who've been here awhile, so correct me if wrong) is parity. Its a bit of a slap on the face when as an Aussie, Yank or Whomever you want the same thing for most races in Europe where you can't watch because its between 12-4am and you have to work the next day and during that time you see all sorts of threads relating to the results. So now you're asking for the same sort of requests I'm sure someone like acf made before (althought I'm sure his caps lock button got stuck when he asked ;) ) so yeah, no doubt people will complain.
 
Nov 2, 2009
1,117
0
0
jaylew said:
It was a simple request. We've all been burnt before seeing results before we've watched an event. It's worlds - is it so hard to avoid spoilers for at least this one event?

We do have at least a bit of a community here. No, we don't always get along, but I'd like to think we could at least appreciate that everyone here just loves the sport. Is there anything wrong with showing a little courtesy? Maybe expecting someone to remember not to mention something in another thread is too much, but is it so much to ask people not to start a thread titled "Will the rainbow jersey curse follow X in 2011" an hour after the finish?

Sure, the safest bet is not to go anywhere near CN, but I'm sure a bunch of us like to go to the race thread and read it while we're watching the recording of a race as the play-by play is better than any of the live tickers and often times the recordings are in a language we don't understand. I know I've done that for almost every race I haven't been able to watch live.

Anyway, I will probably be able to watch it live as it will be airing at a perfect time for me, but will bookmark the race thread and any others I might want to see just in case.
Thank you Jaylew.

I vote for a bit of courtesy and mindfulness of others. Doesn't seem that much to ask.

Now, for the Worlds and also at other times.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Spare Tyre said:
Thank you Jaylew.

I vote for a bit of courtesy and mindfulness of others. Doesn't seem that much to ask.

Now, for the Worlds and also at other times.
+1 blah blah blah
 
Mar 11, 2009
3,274
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
So we have to delay making a thread just for people who go on the forum and have not actually seen the event? I think that is a tad arrogant on some of you euros behalfs. It happens all the freakin time to australian posters because we hop on in the morning to the forum to post for a while before work, etc. I will make a thread when I see fit. If you don't want the result to be spoiled then don't go on the forum. Some people...:mad:
Wow, I actually agree.
It's a cycling forum, avoid if if you don't want to know cycling results.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
auscyclefan94 said:
So we have to delay making a thread just for people who go on the forum and have not actually seen the event? I think that is a tad arrogant on some of you euros behalfs. It happens all the freakin time to australian posters because we hop on in the morning to the forum to post for a while before work, etc. I will make a thread when I see fit. If you don't want the result to be spoiled then don't go on the forum. Some people...:mad:
I think it should be the same all year though and we should be courteous to all forum members. AS we all live on different continents there are huge time gaps between highlights of races being shown and i think not only should be be courteous on this occasion to the americans and the europeans, but all year round to the aussies etc. Its nice to be able to visit the forum whenever and not worry about spoilers, and its easy if people keep them to the race threads. And I have sympathy for ACF who perhaps waits for yotube footage of closing stages, or torrents to be available (which on cyclingtorrents are normally up within about 8 hours of the race).

its not difficult, every forum ive ever been on have a policy of putting
in the title if it contains spoilers

Like today, the womens tt is on at 4pm, but ive been able to browse the forum, take part in conversations etc prior to that because all the womens tt discussion is in the race thread. (apart from knowing that longo finished 5th.. im pretty sure acf did that deliberately :D)
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
theyoungest said:
+1

Nothing to add, really.
Oh i give up.

I was only suggesting that forum members could show each other a little courtesy. clearly that was far too much to ask around here.

"If i wanna start a thread I will start a thread, who cares if it ruins it for anyone, its a cycling forum, its their own fault"
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
TeamSkyFans said:
Oh i give up.

I was only suggesting that forum members could show each other a little courtesy. clearly that was far too much to ask around here.

"If i wanna start a thread I will start a thread, who cares if it ruins it for anyone, its a cycling forum, its their own fault"
Us Europeans, we're all in the same boat with regard to these Geelong Worlds. But if I don't want to know the results, I don't check out a forum discussing cycling results. If you can't refrain from doing that, seek help ;)
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
theyoungest said:
Us Europeans, we're all in the same boat with regard to these Geelong Worlds. But if I don't want to know the results, I don't check out a forum discussing cycling results. If you can't refrain from doing that, seek help ;)
Im doomed.. I have two facebooks, one personal and one for cycling stuff. Logged on my personal one to keep cycling free and some klutz who knows nothing about cycling asked me if i was pleased about the womens tt result.
 
What you can do when you want to read the race thread delayed is just bookmark it before the event starts.

I understand the problem, but not being able to start discussions on a cycling forum for one of the biggest cycling events of the year right after the race (that is, when the need to talk is at its peak) is a problem too.
 
Mar 10, 2009
1,318
0
0
TeamSkyFans said:
isnt it nice that a thread suggesting we all show each other some courtesy and politeness ends with people being impolite and discourteous to each other.
No TSF, you started a thread asking all others to protect you from yourself. You dont want to hear results until you have a chance to watch the race. Yet you can not restrain your self from logging on to sites where you will likely be exposed to race results. And you plea to us to protect you from yourself?

How sanctimonious.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
0
0
theyoungest said:
Us Europeans, we're all in the same boat with regard to these Geelong Worlds. But if I don't want to know the results, I don't check out a forum discussing cycling results. If you can't refrain from doing that, seek help ;)
thank you.
ak-zaaf said:
Wow, I actually agree.
It's a cycling forum, avoid if if you don't want to know cycling results.
Thank you
theyoungest said:
+1

Nothing to add, really.
thank you
benpounder said:
No TSF, you started a thread asking all others to protect you from yourself. You dont want to hear results until you have a chance to watch the race. Yet you can not restrain your self from logging on to sites where you will likely be exposed to race results. And you plea to us to protect you from yourself?

How sanctimonious.
thank you
 

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
3,171
0
0
TeamSkyFans said:
Im doomed.. I have two facebooks, one personal and one for cycling stuff. Logged on my personal one to keep cycling free and some klutz who knows nothing about cycling asked me if i was pleased about the womens tt result.


That was me you dipslick.
 
Jan 18, 2010
3,059
0
0
TeamSkyFans said:
Im doomed.. I have two facebooks, one personal and one for cycling stuff. Logged on my personal one to keep cycling free and some klutz who knows nothing about cycling asked me if i was pleased about the womens tt result.
Its unrealistic to expect to avoid getting the result relayed one way or the other, well apart from shutting yourself in a darkened and soundproofed room for 18 hours or so ;).The Pooley result came up at this place, Ceefax, Radio 5 Live News 24,Twitter, Facebook, and god knows what. I watched it live so i was OK with it.
 
Jul 23, 2009
2,891
0
0
The world is upside down when the Dutch are agreeing with ACF94.
I see both sides of the coin. Don't read CN if you don't want cycling news. But really, dim is not saying please don't discuss the results. He's only asking that we don't create a thread title like "CANC TAKES A 4th WORLDS ITT" for the benefit of those who haven't watched coverage but want to log in and discuss some other race or topic. Not too much to ask really. So why don't we create threads with spoiler alert titles so that anyone who ventures inside gets what they deserve?
 
auscyclefan94 said:
Fine. I don't see peoples problem. Why should I show the same courtesy to others when they hae not shown the same courtesy to me as they have made threads during big races which have spoilt the results for me. Anyway, if you don't want to have the result "spoiled" then don't go on the forum. It is simple. I am only going to make a thread if it is appropriate.
I will repeat my points since you seem to not have read them.

1 On the occasions where it happens you are not the only person who has had results spoiled like this.

2 It happens far less often than you say. In fact very rarely. Stop playing the victim card making it out like you have races spoiled all the time by evil europeans out to get you. I see through your attempts at getting something out of this non existent persicution.

ps i dont really care much if one of you posts a thread declaring the winners since the 2 races i care about i will be watching live anyway. I am just responding to your post.
 
Jul 13, 2009
283
0
0
sublimit said:
Its unrealistic to expect to avoid getting the result relayed one way or the other, well apart from shutting yourself in a darkened and soundproofed room for 18 hours or so ;).The Pooley result came up at this place, Ceefax, Radio 5 Live News 24,Twitter, Facebook, and god knows what. I watched it live so i was OK with it.
If your in the UK and don't want to know the result for a few hours just listen to Talksport.

There is absolutely no way that they'd mention the World Championship Cycling results.
 
Carlo Algatrensig said:
If your in the UK and don't want to know the result for a few hours just listen to Talksport.

There is absolutely no way that they'd mention the World Championship Cycling results.

Or really, any media in general. Hell the TOur de France wouldnt get mentioned in the British press even if the final stage was being held in London and Bradley Wiggins won the yellow jersey in an epic last ditch sprint for the line to overturn his 0.5 second deficit.
 
Jul 13, 2009
283
0
0
The Hitch said:
Or really, any media in general. Hell the TOur de France wouldnt get mentioned in the British press even if the final stage was being held in London and Bradley Wiggins won the yellow jersey in an epic last ditch sprint for the line to overturn his 0.5 second deficit.
Call me a cynic about how News International works but I do expect there will be a fair amount of coverage of Pooleys win in tomorrows times given that the GB team kit is covered in the word SKY
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
sublimit said:
Its unrealistic to expect to avoid getting the result relayed one way or the other, well apart from shutting yourself in a darkened and soundproofed room for 18 hours or so ;).The Pooley result came up at this place, Ceefax, Radio 5 Live News 24,Twitter, Facebook, and god knows what. I watched it live so i was OK with it.
Ah, see dont listen to radio five, or watch bbc news, i had no idea ceefax still even existed, and ive kept off twitter. I didnt log into my cycling facebook. It was some random welsh friend who I have never known been interested in cycling sent me a message about the womens tt. its actually pretty easy to avoid results.

Anyway, i dont give a monkeys, i was thinking of everyone, INCLUDING ACF..
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
pedaling squares said:
The world is upside down when the Dutch are agreeing with ACF94.
I see both sides of the coin. Don't read CN if you don't want cycling news. But really, dim is not saying please don't discuss the results. He's only asking that we don't create a thread title like "CANC TAKES A 4th WORLDS ITT" for the benefit of those who haven't watched coverage but want to log in and discuss some other race or topic. Not too much to ask really. So why don't we create threads with spoiler alert titles so that anyone who ventures inside gets what they deserve?
exactly.. courtesy all round
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS