• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Spoilers - A request..

A

Anonymous

A new season upon us, and a request that we can all try and be sensible with spoilers as the season progresses..

Example. Tour Down Under, in the uk we will get highlights each evening and i think this is similar to most of europe.

Now obviously, People who dont want to know the results would be stupid to go in the Tour Down Under thread, or the specific Tour Down Under stage thread, and if they go in their frankly its their own fault if they find out the result..

But I for one dont intend completely deserting the forum until 8pm every night to avoid results..

So can we just avoid, as the season progresses starting threads like "great win for rider x today", or "what did you think of rider x's win today" just as a matter of courtesy, and try and keep all but the race threads relatively spoiler free for people.

Or even if we start threads containing spoilers we just indicate that in the thread title..

Just a though, its even worse for the US guys cos they are about a day behind.. :D

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
A new season upon us, and a request that we can all try and be sensible with spoilers as the season progresses..

Example. Tour Down Under, in the uk we will get highlights each evening and i think this is similar to most of europe.

Now obviously, People who dont want to know the results would be stupid to go in the Tour Down Under thread, or the specific Tour Down Under stage thread, and if they go in their frankly its their own fault if they find out the result..

But I for one dont intend completely deserting the forum until 8pm every night to avoid results..

So can we just avoid, as the season progresses starting threads like "great win for rider x today", or "what did you think of rider x's win today" just as a matter of courtesy, and try and keep all but the race threads relatively spoiler free for people.

Or even if we start threads containing spoilers we just indicate that in the thread title..

Just a though, its even worse for the US guys cos they are about a day behind.. :D

Fully supported.

That reminds me: "Spoiler" features are in most forum. We really need one in this forum

A

Anonymous

krebs303 said:
Just checked out the time zones. Stage 1 will start Monday Jan. 18 at 4:30 pm here on the west coast and should end about 8:pm

Here's something I have found handy for dealing with different time zones.

World Clock

It can be very useful.

ive got a time clock on my desktop, and i was right, youre about a day behind.. :D or a day ahead, depending on which way you look at it.. you get the results on monday, we dont get them till tuesday.. :D

I agree with everything already said. And building on what issoisso has already said: Another forum i frequent that is not a cycling one has a feature (similar to bbcodes) that will actually blank your text out until you put your mouse cursor on it. It is sort of like blurring it. You can still see where there is text missing and just put your mouse on it to see it.

But back on topic, no stupid topic titles = everyone happy and indicate if there are gonna be spoilers about races.

A

Anonymous

El Imbatido said:
Another forum i frequent that is not a cycling one has a feature (similar to bbcodes) that will actually blank your text out until you put your mouse cursor on it. It is sort of like blurring it. You can still see where there is text missing and just put your mouse on it to see it.

ive seen that.. think its just bb forums...

If I don't want to see any specific cycling news or results, I try to avoid any cycling related websites.

It's a bit rich to expect the users of a site to refrain form opening up discussions until you are happy for them to.

If I don't want to have my viewing of the news at 10 to be spoiled, I would avoid the BBC and Sky news websites, maybe some of the whiners who cry spoiler all the time should maybe do the same!

A

Anonymous

Not suggesting that.. just suggesting that out of courtesy some posters may wish to keep spoiler posts to the race thread, or if they are going to post spoilers indicate it, and dont make blatently obvious thread titles.

THere are posters pop on here during the day from work etc for the sense of community. Its a message board, not a news site..

Just be a shame if people have to avoid the place all day for fear of spoilers.. its pretty common on most message boards to indicate spoiler posts..

bobbins said:
It's a bit rich to expect the users of a site to refrain form opening up discussions until you are happy for them to.

I in no way said that, or hinted at members not discussing races, but if you start a thread its not hard to call the topic
"Columbia in the TdU [Spoilers]"
"Or great win today for XXXXX [Spoilers]"

is it.. ?

On the whole most of the discusssions stay in the official stage thread anyway, its just the occasional posters who seem to miss the official thread and start a "Greipel Wins" thread without thinking..

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
bobbins said:
If I don't want to see any specific cycling news or results, I try to avoid any cycling related websites.

If I don't want to have my viewing of the news at 10 to be spoiled, I would avoid the BBC and Sky news websites, maybe some of the whiners who cry spoiler all the time should maybe do the same!

I disagree and don't see the people who've requested this as whining at all. This isn't about censoring or delaying discussion just having a bit of consideration for others when labelling things.

For instance, if I start a thread called "TDU Stage 1" anyone who doesn't want to know the results until they've seen the highlights can avoid that one thread but still participate in other unrelated discussions. Where as if I start the same thread and call it "Great win for <rider>!" It means people who don't want to know the result lose out or can't participate on the boards at all.

Unless I've completely misread the intentions of other posters, that simple bit of consideration is all that is being asked for and I wholeheartedly agree with them.

A

Anonymous

Kingsley A said:
I disagree and don't see the people who've requested this as whining at all. This isn't about censoring or delaying discussion just having a bit of consideration for others when labelling things.

For instance, if I start a thread called "TDU Stage 1" anyone who doesn't want to know the results until they've seen the highlights can avoid that one thread but still participate in other unrelated discussions. Where as if I start the same thread and call it "Great win for <rider>!" It means people who don't want to know the result lose out or can't participate on the boards at all.

Unless I've completely misread the intentions of other posters, that simple bit of consideration is all that is being asked for and I wholeheartedly agree with them.

that was my point.. one i think the previous poster missed..

A

Anonymous

How shall i kill him... Shooting, Stabbing, Poison...

Answers on a postcard..

A

Anonymous

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
seems only fair. :)

and everyone has done great.. threads all clearly marked..

IT WAS THE MUPPET WHO SENT ME A VISITOR MESSAGE WITH THE RESULT ON IT THAT I WANT TO DESTROY :D

dimspace said:
and everyone has done great.. threads all clearly marked..

IT WAS THE MUPPET WHO SENT ME A VISITOR MESSAGE WITH THE RESULT ON IT THAT I WANT TO DESTROY :D

Yeah i was wondering what you were on about, but then i looked at your profile page and saw the message from Auscyclefan. Well i guess he signed his own death certificate on this one. And he can't say he wasn't warned. Goodbye old pal:D

[cues reminising music and video montage of all the good times;)]

A

Anonymous

El Imbatido said:
Yeah i was wondering what you were on about, but then i looked at your profile page and saw the message from Auscyclefan. Well i guess he signed his own death certificate on this one. And he can't say he wasn't warned. Goodbye old pal:D

[cues reminising music and video montage of all the good times;)]

I will get him.. maybe not today, maybe not tommoro.. but sometime... Im just waiting for the day he misses one of cadels wins cos hes at work, and has recorded it to watch later... :D

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
I will get him.. maybe not today, maybe not tommoro.. but sometime... Im just waiting for the day he misses one of cadels wins cos hes at work, and has recorded it to watch later... :D

You have to destroy him in the most horrible way possible.....

Have Cadel Evans pose for a pic with you with a sign saying "I hate aussiecyclefan94" ;)

A

Anonymous

issoisso said:
You have to destroy him in the most horrible way possible.....

Have Cadel Evans pose for a pic with you with a sign saying "I hate aussiecyclefan94" ;)

You know.. thats not such a bad idea.. will have to wait till paris..

Big_Blue_Dave said:
But that is Cadel, isn't it?

would make sense, today was revenge for everything ive said... :D

A

Anonymous

Can we unsticky the australian nationals thread as well..

Is alpe on holiday or something..

A

Anonymous

Something like

SPOILERS
---------

Before posting will members please pay consideration to other members who may or may not have seen a race/race result yet that day.

If you wish discuss a particular race, please use the dedicated race thread which users will know to avoid.

If you must start a new thread on a particular rider or teams performance, please give no clues to the result in the title of the thread and clearly mark the thread [SPOILERS] so that people may be aware..

Please do not im or leave messages for individual members regarding race results until you are sure they are aware of the result.

Thats not asking people not to talk about races which is obvously silly, just asking for a little bit of courtesy..

TRENDING THREADS