• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Spoilers, Yes or No

Spoilers Yes or No?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
This site has gone from the one site I can visit without fear of ruining my evening race watching to just another site I can't visit.

It's just like ever other cycling website. Why on earth would you want to be another VeloNews?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Lets see.... I am planning to watch the video of last night's tour stage tonight when I get home, so I want to check the stage profile and the positions of riders from the previous stage. Do I:

a) Jump onto the new Cyclingnews.com - see the winners name and then go home to watch 3 hours of video tape knowing how it will turn out?

b) Jump onto the new cyclingnews.com - see the winners name, and cry on the way home and just bin the tape?

c) Completely avoid Cyclingnews.com for the entire 3 weeks of the Tour?

oh yeah and of course c) actually also applies during the Giro, the Vuelta, Liege - B - Liege.. How many race days are there per year? about 11months worth right? guess I'll never come back to cyclingnews.com

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Please give us direct live report link without spoilers

It is interesting to hear that the "spoilers" are here to stay and that the reason is because all the other websites do it. My primary reason for using Cyclingnews.com was that it had a better live report of the major races than any other site and because I could always directly click on the live report and follow the race as it unfolded even after the race was over without knowing in advance who won. The reason I came to Cyclingnews.com was because this was the only site where this was possible...it was unique to your site. Now you've made your site no different from anyone else's. Competitive advantage comes from having unique properties that appeal to your market. Did you folks not understand that you were the market leader because of the unique aspects of your site? Abandon those unique aspects and you'll find yourself losing your market.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Crikey said:
It is interesting to hear that the "spoilers" are here to stay and that the reason is because all the other websites do it. My primary reason for using Cyclingnews.com was that it had a better live report of the major races than any other site and because I could always directly click on the live report and follow the race as it unfolded even after the race was over without knowing in advance who won. The reason I came to Cyclingnews.com was because this was the only site where this was possible...it was unique to your site. Now you've made your site no different from anyone else's. Competitive advantage comes from having unique properties that appeal to your market. Did you folks not understand that you were the market leader because of the unique aspects of your site? Abandon those unique aspects and you'll find yourself losing your market.
Exactly - I Completely agree with this entire post.
What others do should be no reason for change... what others WIN by doing so might be, but it looks like CN is only loosing... at least some food for thought.

Btw: if CN is not about to change it's views... can't they create a specific page with a specific & easy to remember url like ...\races where those who want can get the 'good old day's' page with spoiler free links to the races? Then the CN analysts can take a look at the visitor statistics and (maybe) eventually make up there mind again...

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
The spoilers were the first thing that ****ed me off upon launch. I was so excited when universalsports.com had on demand showings of the giro stages in North America, only to be ****ed going to the site and having a huge "so and so won". Totally crushed me, and watched the race in 6 minutes, figuring why should I when I know it's a sprint. It got to the point of asking my wife to turn on the htpc downstairs, and start the race in full screen so I didn't get the spoiler.

I think what really frustrates me now is that there has been no communication about helping us out. There COULD be hope in going to live.cyclingnews.com IF they keep the spoilers out of this area. You could then directly link to map, and then theoretically move forward and backwards through this. Pain in the ****, but may work. Of course the map link is broken now, but...

Honestly, I don't know what to do. I enjoy reading the information on the site. But I want to boycott the site for not working with us on this one. I know it seems like a vocal few now, but I wonder what will happen during the tour, and how people will feel. I know I'll be going to other sites to get information if some help isn't given...

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Please, no spoilers

If there is not a live report available for that day or race, then no problem, give us a little blurb about who won.

However, when a major race is going on, and I get up (here in the Pacific time zone, 9 or so hours behind Europe) and I get breakfast, then the kids off to school, and then want to sit down and read the live report, and I have to see who won? No good!

Please, for races that have a live report, do not give us a spoiler right next to the link for the live report. That is very disappointing (and not useful at all).

Thanks for the time.

-Jeff Sparks

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Don't care

Incomplete poll.
I would choose "don't care", if you offered it.
And has it to be about the front page?
Wouldn't a spoiler free site to access the live reports be an option, although certainly not your prefered one?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
wdymtlrt said:
Incomplete poll.
I would choose "don't care", if you offered it.
And has it to be about the front page?
Wouldn't a spoiler free site to access the live reports be an option, although certainly not your prefered one?
Indeed. It has been suggested by several people here, but as far as I know there hasn't been a positive response 'from above' about this option.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Spoiler free zone

wdymtlrt said:

A spoiler free zone (not necessarily including removing spoilers from the homepage) has been suggested in these forums many times. I also sent an email to redesign@cyclingnews.com last night with two suggestions (and I'm sure there are other ways as well). I haven't seen any CN/Future staffers float a spoilers compromise in the forums but am hopeful that I'll hear something back from my email sometime after the weekend.

As far as a preferred option, personally I have no problem with spoilers being on the home page as long as there's also a way to access the live reports directly. Once I've caught up on live reports, I'd head to the home page to read the race reports anyway.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Need for spoilers? Specious argument!

Get rid of the spoilers. This is easy with just one more layer above "Results" like before. The excuse that they are here to stay because all news sites do this is specious You can satisfy both audiences.

A

Anonymous

just cos everyone else does them, CN have to.. :/

im wondering if anyone at cycling news has heard of USP :D

TRENDING THREADS