• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I have a Cervelo R3 SL (the ultra light one). I want to re-spoke both wheels because a number have snapped plus, more importantly, I am 90% confident they are the cause of squeaks/creaks that are very annoying. Any advice on spokes that definitely won't squeak (I am not worried about weight)?

geoffrey said:
I have a Cervelo R3 SL (the ultra light one). I want to re-spoke both wheels because a number have snapped plus, more importantly, I am 90% confident they are the cause of squeaks/creaks that are very annoying. Any advice on spokes that definitely won't squeak (I am not worried about weight)?

What wheels?
Generally speaking, spokes break because the tension is low on the wheel, causing the rim to get deformed(bent), resulting in erratic/uneven spoke tension(usually low) that results in broken spokes. The real solution is a new rim, not new spokes. Then built well, properly, with proper tension. The noise you were hearing is also a symptom of too low tension.

Bustedknuckle said:
What wheels?
Generally speaking, spokes break because the tension is low on the wheel, causing the rim to get deformed(bent), resulting in erratic/uneven spoke tension(usually low) that results in broken spokes. The real solution is a new rim, not new spokes. Then built well, properly, with proper tension. The noise you were hearing is also a symptom of too low tension.

If you are interested in building your own wheels and want to know what tension meters are recommended, check out the following thread. I kind of liked the FSA.

Front Wheel Building

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
spokes break because the tension is not even they need to be somewhere even all around of course the rear dished drive side is always tighter than the off side

Spoke tension meters are easy to use and easy to but on ebay or on the web not sure if the bike shop will sell you one probably because they dont know how to use it.

You need the recomended tension for your wheels from the manufacturer and ounce you get it right the spokes will stay put and wont squeek or break the wheel will stay true.

TRENDING THREADS