• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sponsors success, who said the sport is in trouble

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Dermie said:
Quote from Bob Stapleton
"What we're focused on is these repeatable systems where we find and develop fine young talent and I think we've shown that we can do that over the last three or four years. So I think our goals are to do that work and we think that we can consistently create value for sponsors. The team has generated something like 400 million in euros in media value over the last three years, and that's a big number and we think that we can sustain that level as we develop new athletes."

That seems like good value, how much does the team cost to run, Eu15mill, Eu25mill, a year??

A totally fictitious sponsorship figure invented by a guy who needs to find a new sponsor because his current ones obviously don't feel they're getting their money's worth.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
According to l'Equipe journalist @a_thomas_commin AG2R's media exposure in 2013 through the cycling team equals €95,3 million in paid advertising

roundabout said:
and that with winning about 3 races

ok, I checked and it was 8

Thanks to Riblon for most of the exposure

That is a bit unfair on AG2R who has been riding pretty well overall this season.

Their hiring policy has been spot on over the last 2 seasons and we should commend them for it.

Ofc you are right on Riblon being the cause of most exposure :p

Its a shame most companies don't seem to see this reports :eek:

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Surely it was even more when they had one of the three active riders in the peloton who ligget knew of.

I remember when Sylvain Georges did a 40km solo in the AToC and went on to win the stage and P&P had to talk about Sylvain Georges for an hour :D Though granted that's probably a hard task for anyone

Parrulo said:
That is a bit unfair on AG2R who has been riding pretty well overall this season.

Their hiring policy has been spot on over the last 2 seasons and we should commend them for it.

Ofc you are right on Riblon being the cause of most exposure :p

Its a shame most companies don't seem to see this reports :eek:

Oh, I have nothing against them. But I would guess the winners usually get most of the exposure in the papers and the evening news.

A good all-round season can go relatively unnoticed.

Christian said:
I remember when Sylvain Georges did a 40km solo in the AToC and went on to win the stage and P&P had to talk about Sylvain Georges for an hour :D Though granted that's probably a hard task for anyone

"... and of cource Sylvains father named him, and the rest of the family Georges in honour of George Hincapie who rode with Lance Armstrong, the seven time tour de france winner, for many years... A fact that certainly has inspired Sylvain Georges..."

"... and now on this 20% climb he is doing upwards of 40 miles pr. hour...."

"... every second counts for this good friend and student of Armstrong..."

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
This is a funny one really!!

"Everybody knows Coca Cola, but they still do a lot of ads. Why? To keep up their number one position.

Yeah, Asia. I'm sure there's a market there. But cycling will also grow there when the people get "richer"."

Asia probably makes 99% of all the bikes we ride (not my Dean I hope) and there is a chance that the largest number of people in the whole who world ride bikes is in Asia. And yes I know that it is a bit different to bike racing! but I thought it funny. And rich!! Oh yes Japan, Korea, a large number of Chinese, Australia, Singapore, Malaysia and a quite a few of the 10million or so millionaires in India are quite well off!!!

TRENDING THREADS