• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sports Law

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
There was a discussion recently in the JTL thread regarding the Bosman rule and Daniel said it would be best to start a new thread on the topic if we wished to. I have been meaning to get one going but in this case, it's probably best to have one for sport in general where we can discuss and provide links to the legal side regarding doping, CAS cases, IOC/FIFA corruption, match fixing, contracts etc.

Came across this excellent article today detailing the circumstances of the "Webster rule" and Matuzalem cases in football. I would say a wide majority of the media in sports don't inform much in regard to the Matuzalem one and paint the picture that it's pretty straight forward for a player to buy out his contract in the form of the Webster one.

http://www.theguardian.com/football...oney-cabaye-buy-out-contracts-premeier-league

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Is this going to be a doping discussion or a discussion on sports law? Why the clinic? Maybe just doping law or put the thread in a general area?

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
As a little side note, I followed the link above to read about what the law firms co-founder Gregg Stepan had been up to. He was a cyclist (edit: and a coach at milleniumcycling.com) who wanted to practice sports law. I lived nearby and had a chance to talk to him once. Sadly, from that link I learned he passed away over 2 years ago.