• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sportsweek with cyclist David Millar on his drugs ban

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Sportsweek with cyclist David Millar on his drugs ban on BBC Radio5live...8.30am 12.06.2011 Brit time with Gary Richardson.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live/

click 'listen live'

It'll be up as a podcast if you miss it in a few hours.

"there may be one or 2 doping in this years TdF".....pull the other one Dave, i have a ball on it.

Mrs John Murphy said:
Millar ought to go into politics - he's dogmatic, hypocritical and his ability to lie through his teeth and spout bull**** in the face of all the evidence is second to none.

I don't know as much as Millar to dislike him as much as you do. I know some incredibly stupid comments he made supporting Lance not too long ago. But is it possible that all his speaking out now is a good thing. A rider bringing the doping issue to the front is a good thing.
Kind of hard when still in the sport to really expose the Omerta, and keep your job. There is some gray area there. Maybe he will have even more to say when he retires, if he gets out of the business.
Like I say, I am not sure what to think about him yet but am giving him a chance. His recent Lance comments are change from last year.
Hope for best.

Millar has been given multiple chances since 1997. His whole life is based on lying, insulting the intelligence of his fans and upholding omerta.

His defence of Dertie Cont last week, claiming that there is no way Dertie can be doped because he is so consistent and his 'only one or two dopers at the TDF this year' is just taking the ****.

I did not hear BBC interview so I won't talk to what I don't know. If he claimed AC as being clean then that is just ignorant and frankly indefensible. I do believe AC has the right to race until he is sanctioned by UCI however. That is just common law. We'll see how that winds up.
Maybe just want to believe some of these guys.

This is what he said:

"Does anybody out there seriously doubt that Contador was riding clean in the Giro d'Italia that has just finished? You don't win the biggest races in the world with such clockwork regularity and comparative ease, and in such style, by not being the supreme talent and clean. In my experience the profile of a doper is always much more erratic and unpredictable.”

"The rest of us mere mortals have "magic days" when every so often when we can take on the world. Contador's default setting is a "Magic day". His only departure from the norm is when he experiences merely an average day. They are the only two levels he rides at. My strong instinct is to trust that."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/millar-calls-for-closure-in-armstrong-and-contador-investigations

Add into that his attacks on every single rider who has blown the whistle - ie Landis etc.

He claims to be anti-doping but attacks every whistleblower and defends the biggest dopers in the peloton.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
I heard a brief bit of it on BBC World Service. He said that a younger version of himself entering cycling today would not encounter doping at all so would not dope.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
LukeSchmid said:
I heard a brief bit of it on BBC World Service. He said that a younger version of himself entering cycling today would not encounter doping at all so would not dope.

i very much doubt that.

veganrob said:
Thanks. Needed to be reminded of all that. ALthough I like "Magic days".

In the other Millar thread someone posted a video from 2007 of Millar telling us that we should trust Piepoli (this was after his non-negative in the Giro) and that he trusted Vino even though he was working with Ferrari

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
In the other Millar thread someone posted a video from 2007 of Millar telling us that we should trust Piepoli (this was after his non-negative in the Giro) and that he trusted Vino even though he was working with Ferrari

Davey Boy "I'm a rockstar and I like wearing Gucci" Millar will go well with Greenedge, they will let him dope without pretense there

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
Millar has been given multiple chances since 1997. His whole life is based on lying, insulting the intelligence of his fans and upholding omerta.

His defence of Dertie Cont last week, claiming that there is no way Dertie can be doped because he is so consistent and his 'only one or two dopers at the TDF this year' is just taking the ****.

Totally, that stupid statement is what jumped out of the CN article to me.

Yes, the doped riders are the erratic ones and the clean ones never have bad days. :rolleyes: