• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

spring classics and climate change

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Is anyone else creeped out by the weather we're seeing in the spring classics this year? Northern France and Belgium used to be notorious for foul spring weather. Now we have riders in Paris-Roubaix wearing summer kit and worrying more about hydration than how to scrub off belgian toothpaste. I think it takes away some of the character of these races. I also wonder if it's one of the reasons why we saw the entire bunch still together racing up the Mur at the finish of Fleche.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Methane gas from cattle is one of the most overlooked greenhouse gasses.
There is no doubt in my mind that this is contributing to balmy Spring Classics and bunch finishes on the Mur.
cow_fart_J.JPG

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Not when this is one of the coldest winters on record. Don't really believe in the whole global warming issue. There are reports that there is more ice in the poles than in the past.

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Methane gas from cattle is one of the most overlooked greenhouse gasses.
There is no doubt in my mind that this is contributing to balmy Spring Classics and bunch finishes on the Mur.
cow_fart_J.JPG

LoL well played. Maybe they can race the classics in Canada :p The roads are crap and the weather is miserable 3/4 of the year :)

Mostly believe the global warming issue. Actually, I believe the "pollution is bad" issue, GW and , everything else will follow.

However, due to reduced sun flares, this year, and winter and spring, have been cooler than normal world-wide. In a sense then, Northern Europe's sunny spring weather is the anomaly. Furthermore, most people associate "classic weather" with rain as much as cold, don't they?

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
marinoni said:
Is anyone else creeped out by the weather we're seeing in the spring classics this year? Northern France and Belgium used to be notorious for foul spring weather. Now we have riders in Paris-Roubaix wearing summer kit and worrying more about hydration than how to scrub off belgian toothpaste. I think it takes away some of the character of these races. I also wonder if it's one of the reasons why we saw the entire bunch still together racing up the Mur at the finish of Fleche.

Don't worry; the conditions in Dwars Door Vlaanderen, E3 Harelbeke and Gent-Wevelgem were still terrible.

marinoni said:
Is anyone else creeped out by the weather we're seeing in the spring classics this year?

Exactly, this is weather - not climate. April can be hot, and then we may have closed passes in the Alps in mid July. Long term trends can't be established by single points of reference (that is not to say that I'm not worried).

cyclevelo said:
There are reports that there is more ice in the poles than in the past.

Not quite:
20090406_Figure3_thumb.png

[source]

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:
Unfortunately, I think Comedy Central provides us with one of the few decent news shows on cable, The Daily Show, and it's supposed to be a farce.

+1

they have consistently been spot on with the clusterf$ck to the poor house, and I won't even mention the war (a deliberate attempt to refer to Fawlty Towers)

mr. tibbs said:
Unfortunately, I think Comedy Central provides us with one of the few decent news shows on cable, The Daily Show, and it's supposed to be a farce.

+2

Despite Stewart and Colbert's biting humor, they're actually amazingly accurate when it comes to the pulse of people's perception of "mainstream" news outlets (CNN, Fox, MSNBC, etc.)

Bala Verde said:
haha you use FOX news as a source... Then I'll use comedy central to argue against it.

Gold, Jerry. Gold!

Comedy Central shows what a p-iss poor job is being done by the regular news now that the major media is all owned by half a dozen large global multi-nationals.

The extreme variability of Spring weather will surely change the nature of early racing. Where I live March and April can now be anywhere from clear eighty degree weather to a snowy thirty degrees. It seems to change weekly until you get into May.

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
If Foxnews is a joke is that why they have the top cable news shows in every time slot. In each time slot they have double the amount of viewers than the next one and at some times they have more than all the other shows combined. I know what team you are on but don't tell me Foxnews is a joke though.

A

Anonymous

i dont bother with the news anymore.. daily show and colbert report do me..

then of course im in the uk, so i cant possibly watch them every day so i dont know what im talking about.. ;)

as for global warming, gives hope for the uk, maybe we should create our own classic.. some of the cornish coast roads, or parts of north yorkshire would be great... we would just have to lie and say they had been going for 90 years..

Why can't people (Fox News et al) stop confusing climate with weather. Like bringing up that it's colder this year than last year so global warming is false or "see it's snowing in Las Vegas so global warming can't be true" etc etc etc.

Weather depends on so many diffrent factors that vary so much over the years it's impossible to make any climate conclusions based on weather observations between one year and another.

Climate change can only be meassured through long time tendencies.

I'm not saying that there is conclusive evidence for global warming eventhough the signs are there and the mechanism that would explain it is very clear. What I'm saying is that you can't disprove it with these types of data. You need just as conclusive long time evidence to disprove global warming as you need to prove it...

TRENDING THREADS