• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sprinters and stage hunters in the Vuelta

It depends if purito or valverde is in the better shape, but I think one of them will take quite a few stages.

Ps: Is it possible that Sagan rides the vuelta? If yes he will either dominate the sprints or dominate the second spot of the podium.

Puncheurs. Gilbert, Gerrans/Albasini/Impey, Dan Martin, Purito, Valverde, Kristoff (if he rides), Haussler (one can hope)

LL Sanchez, Mezgec/Degenkolb, Viviani to race well

Txurruka to celebrate his new contract with an epic breakaway win :cool:

Re:

Asero831 said:
Gerrans will NOT ride the Canadian classics?
No idea. I just thought that Orica's 3 puncheurs are relatively fresh and at least one would ride the Vuelta.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gerrans rides the Vuelta over the Canadian races, to try and get form for the Worlds. He's only got a couple of chances left to win it.

Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
Asero831 said:
No idea. I just thought that Orica's 3 puncheurs are relatively fresh and at least one would ride the Vuelta.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gerrans rides the Vuelta over the Canadian races, to try and get form for the Worlds. He's only got a couple of chances left to win it.

That would mean he started all three GTs this year. Fair enough he's only raced about 10-15 days of the Giro and Tour put together but he surely can't have a huge peak for the Vuelta.

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Re:

42x16ss said:
Avsum Txurruka win would be an instant avsum :cool:
Sadly, there's no Mosquera anymore (I called him El Diablo because of his avsum first name - Ezequiel). Arroyo as a stage hunter? Bilbao for shorter climbs? Maybe he will try for top 20 GC? I wonder how Van Poppel will fare.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

42x16ss said:
Puncheurs. Gilbert, Gerrans/Albasini/Impey, Dan Martin, Purito, Valverde, Kristoff (if he rides), Haussler (one can hope)

Gilbert will ride the Canadian classics.

Re:

Asero831 said:

Doubt Gerrans or Albasine have recovered from their injuries in the TDF - Gerrans has a complicated broken wrist and Albasini broke a bone in his arm - Impey may recover from his broken collarbone but OGE will have a weakened team.

One stage win will be a bonus.

Arredondo said:
42x16ss said:

This leaves a huge gap. Hilly stages could go anywhere, this could be an opportunity for someone to make a name for themselves.

42x16ss said:
Arredondo said:
42x16ss said:

This leaves a huge gap. Hilly stages could go anywhere, this could be an opportunity for someone to make a name for themselves.

As has been pointed out in another thread, if Froome is on Huy form, it would be best for his GC bid to get bonus seconds from the first three hilltop finishes.

IMO MTN played the wrong hand. EBH should have gone to the Vuelta instead of the Tour, since the opposition will be weaker at the Vuelta, and EBH didn't really do anything at the Tour, but they got the good publicity of Cummings' win and the polka dot jersey without him (and one imagines the latter was a pretty sure thing).

They're bring Sbaragli and I hope he wins a stage but he's a real outsider.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/meintjes-cummings-and-berhane-headline-for-mtn-qhubeka-at-vuelta-a-espaa/

It appears that Gilbert is out of favour at BMC - Rode well in the Giro, but strangely left out of the TDF - Gilbert is always a chance to win a stage or two at a GT - And it appears that Van Avarmaet is favored for the classics.

Could Gilbert move on.

Gigs_98 said:
It depends if purito or valverde is in the better shape, but I think one of them will take quite a few stages.

Ps: Is it possible that Sagan rides the vuelta? If yes he will either dominate the sprints or dominate the second spot of the podium.

He will ride. But very likely abandon after Stage 13.