• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sprinters Giro 2013

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Lexman said:
do you think a sprinter can take the red points jersey, given the parcours?

or wil it be a climber?

Last year Cav was very close to winning the jersey. His placements:

In the end J-Rod won the jersey based on his uphill/MTF sprint skills.

This year there are fewer flat sprint stages (3-4 in total), but we don't have a dominant uphill/MTF sprinter in the field imo, so the competition might still be open. I think Degenkolb (in Vuelta '12 form) will have a great chance to nab the jersey. Cav might have to deliver 4 wins to be a serious contender.

Also bonus secs on all stages typically leads to GC contenders fighting more often for stage wins.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
One of the more interesting aspects in my view will be if OPQS get a train together to control the sometimes crazy Giro sprints. With no big man to support besides Cav, it is now or never, if never, Cavs only advantage for the move from Sky will be that at least he is spared bottle duty in non sprint stages

johngoat said:
Cavendish ******
Degenkolb Goss Ferrari, Viviani****
Bennati, Ventoso, Bouhanni, Modolo, Belleti, Nizzolo, Gavazzi ***
Chicchi, Fellini, Dehaes,Phinney **
Appolonio, Colbrelli, Locatelli, Bole *

Who will be no. 1 sprinter of their squad;

Modolo or Colbrelli?
Fellini or Gavazzi?

Did I miss anyone else who we can expect in the sprints.

Dehaes, I guess.

Dazed and Confused said:
Last year Cav was very close to winning the jersey. His placements:

In the end J-Rod won the jersey based on his uphill/MTF sprint skills.

This year there are fewer flat sprint stages (3-4 in total), but we don't have a dominant uphill/MTF sprinter in the field imo, so the competition might still be open. I think Degenkolb (in Vuelta '12 form) will have a great chance to nab the jersey. Cav might have to deliver 4 wins to be a serious contender.

Also bonus secs on all stages typically leads to GC contenders fighting more often for stage wins.

Take away Ferrari being a ****** and cav would have won it comfortably.

PedalCastro said:
Ventoso will get couple of top 5s, maybe podium and get accused of dangerous sprinting by Cavendish!

Ventoso will win a stage, the last couple of years he always won 1 stage so he will probably find a way to do it again.

Also with the tougher stages this year it will probably be easier then on previous years.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Parrulo said:
Ventoso will win a stage, the last couple of years he always wons 1 stage so he will probably find a way to do it again.

Also with the tougher stages this year it will probably be easier then on previous years.

I predict two at least, hes great on the slightly uphill sprints.

TRENDING THREADS