• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

SRAM and Zipp sign on to sponsor Astana

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
so a good sponsorship quiver is one where you can get the sponsor/suppliers products when you want them...I guess it remains to be seen.

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
The contrarian and negative attitude on this forum is just astounding. Usually I just like to read for entertainment value, but at times I can't help but respond to some of the assenine assertions. I'm sure that Armstrong, being the maven of all that is evil, will scheme to sabotage Astana's wheels and groupsets (Zipp hubs packed with oatmeal?), and the team will not win any races for all of the exploding wheels and poor shifting. I mean common, I know a ton of Zipp users, and other than being ridiculously expensive, none have issues with "breaking." And Sram shifting? Have you ever used Sram? I've been using Shimano/Sram mix for years and never had any issues. I understand that Sram did have problems with Force and Red levers breaking in two, but they have been responsive, and as far as I know corrected the problems. By the way, any poorly maintained and adjusted groupset will shift like crap.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
mtrejt said:
The contrarian and negative attitude on this forum is just astounding. Usually I just like to read for entertainment value, but at times I can't help but respond to some of the assenine assertions. I'm sure that Armstrong, being the maven of all that is evil, will scheme to sabotage Astana's wheels and groupsets (Zipp hubs packed with oatmeal?), and the team will not win any races for all of the exploding wheels and poor shifting. I mean common, I know a ton of Zipp users, and other than being ridiculously expensive, none have issues with "breaking." And Sram shifting? Have you ever used Sram? I've been using Shimano/Sram mix for years and never had any issues. I understand that Sram did have problems with Force and Red levers breaking in two, but they have been responsive, and as far as I know corrected the problems. By the way, any poorly maintained and adjusted groupset will shift like crap.

You will always have that when discussing gear. The whole Shimano vs. Campy vs. SRAM argument will go on forever, like Mac vs. PC.
What constantly amazes me is the number of 220 pound recreational cyclists riding Zipp wheels at local rallies. Their prices really are insane when compare to, say, HED.

Kennf1 said:
You will always have that when discussing gear. The whole Shimano vs. Campy vs. SRAM argument will go on forever, like Mac vs. PC.
What constantly amazes me is the number of 220 pound recreational cyclists riding Zipp wheels at local rallies. Their prices really are insane when compare to, say, HED.

As a Campy partisan, I was hoping that the Tour favorite would roll out on Super Double Secret Top Power Race Record (Red), or whatever their current top shelf groupset is.

(I really am a Campy partisan, despite the above joke.)

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
53 x 11 said:
If you love broken wheels and crap shifting.

thats crazy talk...........i personally own a set of custom built 404 zips, and they rock, almost as if i added a gear..........and for the money, as in im building a new cross bike , nothing beats SRAM force, again ,for the money, im a died in the wool campag guy, but i have ridden both the red and the force, and let me tell you its nice very nice..........

A

Anonymous

Kennf1 said:

It's obviously Campag. To use a twist on a well-used argument by HWSNBN, Shimano are Japanese. Therefore, if you support Shimano you support the attack on Pearl Harbour. And SRAM are American. You therefore support the atom bomb drop on Hiroshima.

How could you do that? You disgust me.

;)