• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

SRAM levers with Dura Ace 7900

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Having read the report here on Dura Ace 7900, with the negative comments about the new levers (ravs about the derailuers and brakes)...I wonder if SRAM Force or Red shift levers would work with the new 7900 group?

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, won't work. SRAM and Campy have totally different cable pull ratios than Shimano, at least for the derailleurs (though SRAM and Campy are surprisingly close in that respect).

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
James Huang said:
Sorry, won't work. SRAM and Campy have totally different cable pull ratios than Shimano, at least for the derailleurs (though SRAM and Campy are surprisingly close in that respect).

Remember that Campagnolo 10s ERGO and Sram rear derailleurs shift shimano 10s spacing. AND Campagnolo LH ERGO(less QS Centaur, 2007/8) work fine with any FD, any crank, owing to it's superior design and function(ratcheting friction). shimano has stepped backwards in lever function(7900) and sram has never has the functionality of Campagnolo.

I was also sorry to see that Di2 isn't compatible with a 7800 crank. If ya get Di2, ya gotta get the $700 aluminum crank..yowser-$354 for a big ring!!.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
brindle said:
A big ring is going to last 20,000 to 30,000 miles, so why worry about the cost.

I guess YMMV but ya gotta use ONLY the 7900 chainring as well. The big ring is 1/2 the cost of the crank. I don't 'worry' about anything 'bicycles' but $345 is outrageous. PLUS the spacing of the rings means ya gotta use it with 7900 and Di2. Another poster complained about Campagnolo 'forcing' people to go to 11s..when 7800 is gone, and you need a new crank and 7900 is all that's available at the high end..then ya gotta get a FD, then a shifter, then....

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Of course Campy is not blameless regarding ridiculous pricing. Their $150 chain tool, for example, is a perfect example of overpriced. It's one of the main reasons I don't want to switch to 11 speed Record.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
nightfend said:
Of course Campy is not blameless regarding ridiculous pricing. Their $150 chain tool, for example, is a perfect example of overpriced. It's one of the main reasons I don't want to switch to 11 speed Record.

WEll....SuperRecord along with the "non essential but there nonetheless" exotic materials of ceramic, titanium and carbon the same price as 7900 these days with little titanium and carbon. Why is Record less than 7900?

Being the Devil's advocate, do you do your own work, and see a need for the 11s chaintool? It is clearly a shop level tool(I have one) much like things like a BB facing tool which is about $600 or so or a Chris King hub tool kit which is $300. It's a one time expense and ensures the chain won't break. Even a great shop level chaintool is expensive-$30 in this case

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=18061

No reason to not enjoy the great lever ergonomics, the most functional lever in the field and most durable cuz you don't like the price of the chain tool.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Pietro is obviously a Campy fanboy. The fact that he had to start mentioning Campy when the OP asked about mixing Red and 7900 tells me he may find it hard to be objective. ;)

To the OP, James is correct. Different cable pull ratios means no mixing. Not sure if a shift mate would work.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Advancedone said:
Pietro is obviously a Campy fanboy. The fact that he had to start mentioning Campy when the OP asked about mixing Red and 7900 tells me he may find it hard to be objective. ;)

To the OP, James is correct. Different cable pull ratios means no mixing. Not sure if a shift mate would work.

Given time, there's bound to be something from Shiftmate but why go that way? It looks ugly if for no other reason. Yeah, I'm a purist. ;-)

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Advancedone said:

BUT you can mix Campagnolo and Sram...derailleurs as reported by Lennard Zinn, my point to the OP and yep, I like Campagnolo. Bike stuff is mostly subjective, things like lever comfort. Only history of failures and specifics like compatibility are objective.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I was only having a laugh with you Pietro. I use Shimano because I found the old Ergo power levers a bit small for my hands, but the new levers look like they might suit me better. You never know, I might even switch back to record one day.

How is the shifting with the Campy-Red combo. I must say it seems like mixing oil and water to me. Peronally I'd stick with Campy myself over Red.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Advancedone said:
I was only having a laugh with you Pietro. I use Shimano because I found the old Ergo power levers a bit small for my hands, but the new levers look like they might suit me better. You never know, I might even switch back to record one day.

How is the shifting with the Campy-Red combo. I must say it seems like mixing oil and water to me. Peronally I'd stick with Campy myself over Red.

Out of the blue Lennard tried Campagnolo 10s ERGO with Sram Force front and rear derailleur and for the rear, it shifted shimano/sram 10s spacing(which is narrower than Campagnolo 10s). I saw it, I shifted it, it worked. Of course Campag LH ERGO works with anything.

TRENDING THREADS