• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sram Red Drivetrain after 20 000km+

This is my Sram Red chainrings. Still going strong after 20 000km approx. Same chain and cassette. No skipping. Chain/cassette is a cheap sram model.

I use a bio lube from pedros and just clean with an old rag.

When I replace my drive chain, I drop it all off at the local scrap metal recycling vs dump it into landfill.

I laugh at how often people replace their drive train cos the 'guy at the LBS said I should'.

If you are a pro then yeah, you need to be running a new chain each week in case you need a spare wheel and that casette needs to mesh perfectly every time.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
Sram Red gruppo is giving you the steel cassette, which is much more durable than the usual top of the range cassettes but still light enough not to be considered a cheap model.

Talking from my own experience, the crankset chainrings can last much much longer than just 20.000kms, and as their price is quite high, I donno if its worth to let the whole drivetrain to end up like there instead of just changing chain.
And by the tests that you can find online, the cheaper chains works almost as good, if not better, than the top models.
So at the end of the day, is it worth to do what you're doing?
Do all people just use 1 wheelset for everything?
Do all people just need 1 cassete for everything?
In real world no, every case is different and showing off your own by saying "this is what you guys must do" have the risk to look silly.

By the way, I dont go at the LBS from long time as I do all the stuff by myself; as you see, also in this case there's something different.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
If you race and take a neutral wheel you would destroy the cassette but you do bring up the question of 1 ride 1 drive train till the end?
Don't know the cost of your components but to get 20.000 km out of my drivetrain that is 4 chains, 2 cassettes and no chainrings. I got over 50,000 km out of my first C record chainrings.
That is over $1000.00 for the first 20,000 and add chainrings at 40,000 and I am looking at a total of 2500. You would be what? 2 chains, 2 cassettes and 4 chainrings. Your method might be cheaper and probably works as long as you don't use someone else's wheels. You are the guy I fear when I see a lightly used cassette only 100 km on Craigslist. That cassette would be a skipper after 1 ride on your bike.

Michele said:
Sram Red gruppo is giving you the steel cassette, which is much more durable than the usual top of the range cassettes but still light enough not to be considered a cheap model.

Talking from my own experience, the crankset chainrings can last much much longer than just 20.000kms, and as their price is quite high, I donno if its worth to let the whole drivetrain to end up like there instead of just changing chain.
And by the tests that you can find online, the cheaper chains works almost as good, if not better, than the top models.
So at the end of the day, is it worth to do what you're doing?
Do all people just use 1 wheelset for everything?
Do all people just need 1 cassete for everything?
In real world no, every case is different and showing off your own by saying "this is what you guys must do" have the risk to look silly.

By the way, I dont go at the LBS from long time as I do all the stuff by myself; as you see, also in this case there's something different.

Ive never had a drivers license. I live in the real world. I use one cassette -12/28 to drop pro's on training rides to riding to the shop and back with my groceries in a bob trailer on the back of my Cervelo running a power meter.

Well maybe I don't live in the real world but I live in the full blown cycling world where instead of waking up Sunday with a hangover, I get on the road bright and early and see if I can crack a pb up one of the local strava bergs.

Master50 said:
If you race and take a neutral wheel you would destroy the cassette but you do bring up the question of 1 ride 1 drive train till the end?
Don't know the cost of your components but to get 20.000 km out of my drivetrain that is 4 chains, 2 cassettes and no chainrings. I got over 50,000 km out of my first C record chainrings.
That is over $1000.00 for the first 20,000 and add chainrings at 40,000 and I am looking at a total of 2500. You would be what? 2 chains, 2 cassettes and 4 chainrings. Your method might be cheaper and probably works as long as you don't use someone else's wheels. You are the guy I fear when I see a lightly used cassette only 100 km on Craigslist. That cassette would be a skipper after 1 ride on your bike.

So you are spending 2500 when I would only spend 200. You can get red rings new for about 100USD online if you hunt. Then 30$ for a chain and 70$ for a mid range sram cassette.

I wouldnt sell a cassette cos I would be to busy using it. ;)

The racing I do is so fast that if you get a flat, you aint getting back on as there is no car convoy to draft and the pace never lets off enough.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
durianrider said:
Ive never had a drivers license. I live in the real world. I use one cassette -12/28 to drop pro's on training rides to riding to the shop and back with my groceries in a bob trailer on the back of my Cervelo running a power meter.

Well maybe I don't live in the real world but I live in the full blown cycling world where instead of waking up Sunday with a hangover, I get on the road bright and early and see if I can crack a pb up one of the local strava bergs.

You are a guy who would be interesting to talk to, but you end up trying to bull people and being offensive.

I do have a driving license, cause without a driving license I wouldnt be able to go anywhere as pubblic trasportation here in Italy sucks a big time (as you see, we don't live in the same part of the world and your own access to facilities doesn't mean it's the same for others).

Last time I had an hangover on a sunday morning was many many years ago.

Congratulations for your Strava success, but no need to mention it at every single post.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
durianrider said:
So you are spending 2500 when I would only spend 200. You can get red rings new for about 100USD online if you hunt. Then 30$ for a chain and 70$ for a mid range sram cassette.

The racing I do is so fast that if you get a flat, you aint getting back on as there is no car convoy to draft and the pace never lets off enough.

I do the same on my commuter, but not on my MTBs.
Why? I once had the misfortune of my derailleur on my commuter breaking at the b-knuckle, dumping the chain into the spokes where it got throroughly mangled. Cost of repair 1 derailleur + shifter + cassette + chainrings + 2 spokes + a demoralising walk home in lycra and uncomfortably stiff shoes. On the positive side it finally justified getting rid of 1991 Shimano DX 7 speed for 9-speed:D

MTB chains break too often (both wear and tear and accidents) to make this approach viable off road.

NB I also don't do this on my roadie, but only because I like to keep it nice for vanity purposes!

durianrider said:

Maybe not. You sound lonely.

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
durianrider said:
This is my Sram Red chainrings.

Swell. I thought you were going to tell us how rugged the levers are.

Replacing my chain and cassettes at reasonable intervals, I estimate I'll be using the chainrings on my Force setup til I'm trying to hook my walker onto doorjambs and do pull-ups.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
durianrider said:
Its not my intention to be offensive.

If only! :rolleyes:

"Offensive" is fun to contend with, but your ridiculous offerings are...oh wait...let's go back in time...again...

Barrus said:
Are people still trying to argue with this pompous, holier-than-thou *******? I would presume people would know by now that there is no real discussion possible with him, unlike some of the other vegans on here and in the world. But this guy is only interested in himself and to aggrandize himself by linking himself with succesful people and his "beautiful" girlfriend. It appears as though he is so insecure that he needs to come on this forum solely to justify his decision and lifestyle to himself

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
durianrider said:

First off I am comparing retail prices for the original component set and not the cheapest stuff out there. I can certainly replace SR cassette with a steel one and buy aftermarket chainrings for 1/4 the cost so if you compare donuts to donuts I am still spending more but I am not riding around with a bike that is not well looked after. I get the possible economic benefit of riding your drivetrain to the ground.
I can afford my maintenance parts and believe me I can spend the dollars I said but I do find deals too but for Campy parts and not TA and Chen Sin. I chose Super record level parts for the weight aesthetics and yes EGO too.
Your smugness hardly comes across as a tip or friendly. Your unbridled enthusiasm reminds me of a puppy, licking everyone's face. It is cute but messy and it gets old fast enough. Some of us have been riding our bikes for 30 years too so it isn't like we don't all need to hear it like it is news. Glad to hear of your experiences but you are not the first to offer these tidbits. I am maintaining 6 bikes and do all my own work including wheels and some of them get 12 dollar chains and 25 dollar cassettes others don't get the cheap stuff.
Cheers

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Boeing said:
why do all part threads lead to your components suck my components rule blah blah blah

Well first off most people don't know how to post a question or statement without adding an offensive remark to something that is totally out of the main statement in question. Second, people read with an agenda, meaning if what ever is being written about is not what they use or like or sell, they will post any minor issue with something that again has nothing to do with the main statement but might be connected or even have a similar name. Third they are the crumuggens of life and there is no way they will allow anyone to be happy with anything no matter how minimal that happiness might be. Then, there are those that even if in agreement to the main statement must toss in a counter statement that is so obtuse it sounds like they want to start WWIII because... I actually have no idea why they do this. Lastly, there are those who agree with you will back up your statements even though they have never ever met you and possibly have disagreed with you in detail in another thread on a totally different matter. :cool:

TRENDING THREADS