• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sram Red Drivetrain after 20 000km+

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
winkybiker said:
Actually, 6000km is pretty damn good for off-road conditions. Especially as the OP did it on a single chain. Presumably would have lasted even longer with a couple of new chains in the mix.

Whether XTR is worth the money depends on largely on how much (money) you have. It is nice stuff. Bike jewellery.

I have to agree - especially on one chain.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Cheese !!! I like cheese too!! But I would not eat a xtr cluster no matter how bad I had bonked!

I am a clean freak and also I have learned a few things about chain lube too. When I started riding around Berlin ( the sand there is big and chunky and often wet) it was better to use a thick mineral oil. It is very messy but hey, the life and performance of the drive chain system worked for me.
I have a mate in Mt. Beauty Aus. that was using 2 stroke oil on his chain and said that yes it was ugly messy but worked well.
Maybe this is a thing with weird guys from Aus that try to get a stupid life out of a chain and sprockets and use oil on the chains that is a little weird to use.
You know you have used too much oil when you have a bigger stain on your *** than mud!!