• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

SSCXing - or at least an approximation...

Anyone here do any single speed cyclocross riding? I'm planning on doing some over the winter, not proper CX riding in the mud as my frame won't take wide enough tyres, but some MTB trail centre type trails, fire roads etc. out in the hills.

Any advice? I'll be running a 66" gear which is 8 inches shorter than I run on the road so I reckon it should be ok. Got some SPD pedals and shoes instead of the SPD-SLs that were on there incase I have to get off and carry.

Is there anything I should be taking out with me I wouldn't usually take on a road bike?

Cheers,

KB.

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
Duct tape
Zip ties
Chain master link
Extra spd cleat bolt

Have needed all of these things at one point or other while deep in the woods.

I'm doing the same thing, turning my Surly Karate Monkey from a mountain hardtail 1x9 into rigid fork drop bar one-y for the fall and winter. I used to run a 39x18 on trails back when I was fit, will probably run 32x14 now, mostly because that's the gearing I can find in my closet. Not the best on real hills, but nice for cranking flats and rollers.

My favorite type of riding. If I get lost, that's a plus.

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
Also: I run double tape on the tops, adding a layer from brake lever mounts to stem (and then a full wrap over top of that, from bar end to stem). Just plain cork tape, not super gel, so not overly thick.

Also run Panaracer Cinder X 700x35 (tubeless on Mavic Open Pro) which are for my money the best all-purpose cx-type tire around. Good on dust, on hardpack, not terrible on grass, fantastic in slop. And take a real beating, too.

Thanks Filipo, that's lots of help. I tend to carry a complete set of spare cleats in my saddle bag (yes, I hate saddle bags but they're so useful!) but you've reminded me to go pick up a set as I've only recently switched to SPD. I hate padding on my bars and don't wear gloves but I'll see how I get on and if I need it I'll do what you suggest. I currently use fizik superlight on my ss and road bikes with no padding underneath!

Tyre wise I may struggle for clearance in my frame, but at the moment I don't intend to be riding mud so I should be OK with 30-32s I think. I'll check out Panaracer and see if they do something smaller. If anyone is listening from Cinelli and want's to donate a MASH SSCX that'd be great! :D

Had a look and Panaracer do the Cross Blaster and CG CX that would fit. However, I think I'd tear them up very quickly as I intend to ride on the roads to a lot of places I want to ride. I'll have a look at urban/touring tyres but if I end up driving to a lot of places with the bike in the car I'll have another look at proper CX tyres.

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
Re Panaracers: most of my riding on them is hardpack, not mud, and I generally ride from the house, so lots of pavement time. They've held up well, in my experience.

Keep me posted!

I want this so badly!!!

helsinki1.jpg

TRENDING THREADS