• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stage 16, San Martín del Rey Aurelio - La Farrapona, Lagos de Somiedo

Page 33 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
if you honeslkty get punched by a 56 kg flo and you go whine after a stage you're a goddamn **** who should be thrown out of the vuelta for being a b***

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
Ok I will try and remain partially serious despite you using the words 'poo poo' (language my 3 year old niece uses :D)

What was written in the book was obviously blown up to sell copies, from what I've seen this year Froome and Contador have a great respect for each other. Read the tweets when both were forced to abandon the Tour, also you regularly see them chatting away and laughing amongst themselves before a stage or in the rollouts ect.

Agree with the last sentence re Valverde :)

I put the Poo Poo in there. Trying to keep my post Family friendly;)

Froomes book. "Hows the coffee Alberto"
Cound via Twitter making dopers comments in reference to AC.

Agree, Things in books/media can be sensationalized. However the Bio IS Froomes. So he owns it...

Being polite in conversation is sporting and should be expected. However Froome/Cound only recently have adopted that. In there past PR, has not been good. Were AC has always been class.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
if you honeslkty get punched by a 56 kg flo and you go whine after a stage you're a goddamn **** who should be thrown out of the vuelta for being a b***

If you punch someone in a bicycle race, you should be tossed regardless of how small you might be or how "whiny" the other guy might be.

If what occurred is true why should JRod get any leeway? If he punched another rider, no matter which one, why shouldn't he be thrown out?

thehook said:
I put the Poo Poo in there. Trying to keep my post Family friendly;)

Froomes book. "Hows the coffee Alberto"

I don't know if I remember it right, but I thought he also said that he didn't actually believe that Contador would train less than he did, he simply used this image of Contador drinking coffee as an imaginary 'carrot' to motivate himself.

"In my head I am sure Contador and Nibali and my other rivals are out there training just as hard as I am."

The Hitch said:
IMO if you want to win the stage from a 2 man group you work with the person.

Doubly so if you are the leaders jersey who has shown the whole race so far you are way stronger than the second person.

Its hardly a maverick opinion. Its pretty much common practice in cycling that the leaders jersey lets the other person get the stage if they leave them to do all the work. Happens all the time. Often even if they share the work they let them have the stage (Nibali Santa, Contador Rujano)

But if you make them do all the work you give them the stage. You want the stage you share the work.

Afterall Contador himself let Schleck have the win on Tourmalet after he left all the work for Schleck. In that same Tour he was in a situation with Rodriguez where he wanted the stage for himself so he did the work.

This is a classic example of a very naïve understanding of race tactics ("the common practice"), in the context of the circumstances at this stage in the race. Why under any scenario would Contador not preserve his energy and attack to win the stage himself extending his advantage over Froome and Valverde? His strategy was perfect.

As Carlton Kirby, a very experienced and astute cycling commentator stated,

"He (Contador) has built up an advantage and so he has the right to sit here on Chris Froome's wheel and he is using that free pass at the moment"

Later in the same broadcast Sean Kelly stated,

"Yes, certainly impressive!

Just a lot of cynical sour grapes. A vacuous, specious and inane comment if ever there was one, based on an obviously tenuous understanding of the dynamics of cycle racing and the psychology of competition.

UpTheRoad said:
If you punch someone in a bicycle race, you should be tossed regardless of how small you might be or how "whiny" the other guy might be.

If what occurred is true why should JRod get any leeway? If he punched another rider, no matter which one, why shouldn't he be thrown out?

The truth is probably somewhere in between Deignan's and Rodriguez's accounts, with Deignan over-exaggerating the incident while Rodriguez under-stating it. In all probability, most things in between the two extremes don't look good for Rodriguez's case.

Unless there is video proof though, Rodriguez is going to get away with it. Rodriguez getting thrown out isn't going to be good for anyone, so it's in everyone's interest to downplay the incident.

About the alledged wheelsucking and "Contador should have worked with Froome or handed him the stage". Contador probably was afraid of not being the strongest and didn't want to risk being humiliated. Along the way he realized, that he could follow Froome's numerous accelerations and then, when he was certain he could keep his speed all he way to the finish, decided to say: "Hey, dude, this time I'm the strongest, so bye, bye." Forget about the uwritten rules and so-called fairness. There's more to the picture, and Contador needed to show he's the stronger one this time around. Froome is very competitive and probably is totally okay with this, I'd guess.

Jagartrott said:
Well, seems like this argument is handled by using the media - Kennaugh calling Purito a lying *** on twitter: https://twitter.com/Petekennaugh

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Rodriguez and Froome were having an argument during Sunday's stage. I thought it had to do with Froome, Valverde and Contador bridging the breakaway on the first mountain, but more likely it was because of this. Looking forward to Saturday. :D

fantomas said:
About the alledged wheelsucking and "Contador should have worked with Froome or handed him the stage". Contador probably was afraid of not being the strongest and didn't want to risk being humiliated. Along the way he realized, that he could follow Froome's numerous accelerations and then, when he was certain he could keep his speed all he way to the finish, decided to say: "Hey, dude, this time I'm the strongest, so bye, bye." Forget about the uwritten rules and so-called fairness. There's more to the picture, and Contador needed to show he's the stronger one this time around. Froome is very competitive and probably is totally okay with this, I'd guess.

Froome's admitted intent was not to work with Contador but to drop him. It would have been foolish for Contador to pull through, or more accurately, accelerate around Froome, allowing Froome to get in his slipstream and take a break, only to have Froome attack him once he recovered enough to resume attempting to drop him. Their missions were not such that collaboration was a possibility. Somebody was getting dropped in this scenario.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Froome was trying really hard to drop AC, He went into red several times during his attacks until his legs couldnt accelerate more because his last attack was like for 5 secs and he did it without going out of the saddle and then Alberto put that massive attack and opened a gap really fast. I dont see why Contador should has gifted the stage to Froome or try to work with him to put more time to Bala or Purito.

Froome is the real danger and AC knows it... I'm glad that he went for the stage and to increase the gap with Froome.

I could have been an awesome stage if Bala, Purito or Aru would have attacked on San Lorenzo. But is a shame that there is no balls for that kind of moves...

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, pretty sure Froome never looked to Contie for assistance. He had his own agenda and put in some pretty good attacks. Ugh. I hate appreciating Froome in any respect, but he put in a good ride without a doubt.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
yespatterns said:
Yeah, pretty sure Froome never looked to Contie for assistance. He had his own agenda and put in some pretty good attacks. Ugh. I hate appreciating Froome in any respect, but he put in a good ride without a doubt.

I dont like the guy.. as a Contador fan I fear him... during the whole climb I was really scared, that slow cadence that AC is using lately makes him look like He is always struggling... but He could cover any attack easily and fast and at the end He showed that he had enough energy to put a good attack and get a nice gap.

I'm pretty sure that AC doesnt trust himself enough yet... He runs always fearing that Froome will do a massive acceleration and drop him like he did in 2013... He reflects that and maybe that's the reason that We (Contador's Fans) are always scary that AC is going to break against Froome everytime that the road goes up.

TRENDING THREADS