• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stage 17 Eurosport coverage

A

Anonymous

I had no idea what was happening in this stage until suddenly I did.

Anyone can tell me how the followers suddenly became the leaders and then AC broke away?

I would love a timeline story, perhaps CN can do one for us.

To cap it all, Shaun Kelly's delivery became so confused, i started to think of clinic issues! What's with the interminable 'ehhhhhhhhhh'?

A

Anonymous

Thanks -now have read it and it was a straightforward ganging-up planned beforehand.

What a fix. Not enamouring me to professional cycling and opening up thoughts on so-called individual wins vs team wins.

Howard Thomas said:
Thanks -now have read it and it was a straightforward ganging-up planned beforehand.

What a fix. Not enamouring me to professional cycling and opening up thoughts on so-called individual wins vs team wins.

Or alternatively, Movistar wanted guys up the road because Valverde had to gain time and didn't want to have to work, Saxo Bank had an attacking plan and did a good job of cutting deals with friends of Contador (Tiralongo in particular is a former Contador domestique who won't have forgotten Contador towing him to his first career win in Macugnaga), and Katyusha have been pacing the bunch for two weeks - there's a limit to what people can have in reserve.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Howard Thomas said:

The best wins are when its a mix of both team work and individual performance. I.e. the team setting it up, ideally through smart tactics, and the strong individual finishing it by himself solo.

Btw Valverde and Movistar rode really smart and strong too

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Don't be late Pedro said:

lol gotta love this part:

14:50:39 CEST

As Alasdair Fotheringham explains
here
, however, the Fuente Dé should be slightly different to the veritable fiesta of Rodriguez/Contador slugging matches we've witnessed to date. Though 17.3km in length, the second category climb has an average gradient of just 3.9%, and so it seems unlikely that any of the top four will be able to make significant gains

Hey, I've said stuff like that I regret saying too.

I've said things like:
- Wiggins will never do better than his 4th place finish in 2009
- an impassioned defence of Ezequiel Mosquera when people were raising suspicions about him
- Cadel Evans' psychological transformation happened just too late for his physical peak and he missed his best chance to win the Tour in 2008
- Froome should sit up and ride slow in the ITT in the 2011 Vuelta because he needs the energy in reserve to domestique for Wiggins for week 2; after that he'll be spent and Löfkvist will take over as domestique du jour
- País Vasco 2012 would be entirely pointless and Tony Martin would win it in the ITT

We all get it wrong sometimes! And to be fair, I think a lot of us made the same conclusion - it looked like a worthless stage with an entirely unnecessary MTF.

But then, who would have predicted that these would be some of the most crazy stages of the last decade?

pajares05.gif

(this is the obvious predecessor of today's stage, with the Liberty Seguros ambush of Menchov on the penultimate climb, with of course Liberty doing a combination of the Contador attack and the Valverde hopping between teammates in the attack moves).

st16.jpg

JRanton said:
Today's stage reminded me how impressive Sky rode for Wiggins at the Tour (and yes, I know Contador wasn't there but even so an attack like today's wouldn't have been successful against Wiggins and Sky).

To be honest we will never know, and it may well not have. But Wiggins would probably back on GC due to the super steep stuff.

Also Wiggins was not relentlessly attacked in the TdF like Rodriguez was, since Nibali unfortunately never believed he could win it.

Sky's team looked very strong in the TdF for sure, but they were never really put under that much pressure...

Pulpstar said:
To be honest we will never know, and it may well not have. But Wiggins would probably back on GC due to the super steep stuff.

Also Wiggins was not relentlessly attacked in the TdF like Rodriguez was, since Nibali unfortunately never believed he could win it.

Sky's team looked very strong in the TdF for sure, but they were never really put under that much pressure...

Oh sure, I was merely referring to today's stage. If you could design a Grand Tour route that doesn't suit Wiggins then this Vuelta would be it!

A

Anonymous

Just going back to the thread

Howard Thomas said:
I had no idea what was happening in this stage until suddenly I did.

Anyone can tell me how the followers suddenly became the leaders and then AC broke away?

I would love a timeline story, perhaps CN can do one for us.

To cap it all, Shaun Kelly's delivery became so confused, i started to think of clinic issues! What's with the interminable 'ehhhhhhhhhh'?

First, I find Shaun Kelly very, very tedious to listen to and he only repeats what the main commentator puts in his mouth.

On the stage, the whole notion of individual performance is now totally exposed as a sham. I am not taking anything away from the winner who clearly had the whole thing arranged, but how about the fans?

But more important, what about the structure of the Tours, it makes no sense to me.

Pulpstar said:

Nibali actually tried something like this on the Grand Colombier descent.
Problem is Wiggo still had 4 or 5 men with him, so JRanton sort of have a point.

Not trying to compare Nibbles and Contador. But clearly Katusha's inability to help JRO was a huge factor today.

TRENDING THREADS