• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stage 18 - Sulmona - Benevento, 182km

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Nice stage today.
I guess the GC riders will use this as a rest day. QuickStep probably wants to give Davis another shot at a stage win, now that Cavendish and Farrar are gone - but Petacchi is still there...

But most probably, a break will succeed today - watch out for the mighty Jens Voigt riding solo for the last 10 kms ;)

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
If they are all together in the last kms, it will interesting to see what Boasson Hagen can do, now that Cavendish is gone.

But i still believe in Jens today. I also predict that the breakaway will contain someone like Rohregger from Milram, Possoni from Columbia and Gilbert from Silence-Lotto. Then Voigt will go on his own on the little hill after 174,5 km :)

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
I would expect a break to stay away today, I can't see any team being bothered to chase it down for a sprint.
Except perhaps the teams with a sprinter and no stage wins - namely QuickStep, maybe Barloworld for Hunter, and maybe Katusha have faith in Ben Swift?

This just in from reporter Eugenio Capodacqua from Rome's la Repubblica newspaper: Menchov has been summoned to appear before an Austrian judicial office to respond to accusations that he was a client at the Humanplasma lab at Vienna, the same one freaquented by Bernhard Kohl as well as many cross-country skiers.

Menchov's reply was cryptic when asked about the insident: "Summoned by a judicial office? Perhaps." He then went on naturally to deny all alegations that he has had anything to do with the Austrian scandal. But this isn't good for the rider or the Giro.

Wonder if after today's stage anything will come of it?

The Italian journalist went on to cite Kohls confession, that the Austrian rider had practiced doping since he was 19 and every year till the 2008 Tour. the rider also said the tests don't work, claiming that he was tested 200 times and only was positive twice. In reality, Kohl believed, he should have tested positive 100 times and that, as additional proof that the tests aren't generally effective, he said one practically had to shoot up 1/2 hour before the blood doctors arrive to get caught.

I doubt his sincerity can be questioned since he was talking about himself and, consequently, those that believe a rider hasn't doped simply because he never tested positive should really think otherwise. But many of us have always known this...

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
21 riders in front, including Popovych, Seeldraeyers, Scarponi, Lövkvist, Sivtsov, Cardenas, Visconti, Voeckler, Quinziato and Bosisio, 3 minutes ahead of the peloton. I guess they get a wild card for todays stage.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Jasper said:
21 riders in front, including Popovych, Seeldraeyers, Scarponi, Lövkvist, Sivtsov, Cardenas, Visconti, Voeckler, Quinziato and Bosisio, 3 minutes ahead of the peloton. I guess they get a wild card for todays stage.

Wondering out loud here, but if they are allowed to stay away...who are the "sprinters" in this group? Julian Dean is pretty fast isn't he? Who else?

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
flyor64 said:
Wondering out loud here, but if they are allowed to stay away...who are the "sprinters" in this group? Julian Dean is pretty fast isn't he? Who else?
Vorganov and Gavazzi for sure, and maybe Visconti, Quinziato and Bak as well. But I bet they won't stay together till the end, there's bound to be some attacks by riders that don't want to take their chances in a sprint.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Bertolini and Voeckler are the hungry riders here.

Voeckler naturally after a stage win. A big goal of his. And everyone can remember Bertolini's stuff up when Boasson-Hagen won his first stage.

Bertolini I think takes this.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Just a thought... If they catch the break, will Di Luca contest the sprint to fight for bonus seconds? Imagine LPR setting up a train, and Petacchi leading out Di Luca. The finish is slight uphill. Could be interesting.

But first they have to catch the break of course :)

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
Milram and Fuji were leading the peloton, but now they've fallen back and it's Rabo again in front. And since they have no real interest in catching the breakaway group, I don't think we'll see a bunch sprint today.

TRENDING THREADS