• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stage 20, Napoli - Anagni, 203km

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
The break has about 3 minutes, so they probably won't make it.
Many teams in front of the peloton, for example Columbia. They must think Hagen can do something in todays finish.

I'm watching out for Philip Gilbert today, the finale should suit him well.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
kjetilraknerud said:
The break has about 3 minutes, so they probably won't make it.
Many teams in front of the peloton, for example Columbia. They must think Hagen can do something in todays finish.

I'm watching out for Philip Gilbert today, the finale should suit him well.

It's a 2.7 km uphill, at over 4%, so I don't think it suits Boasson Hagen or Gilbert. It'll be between Di Luca, Scarponi and Garzelli, that is, if Garzelli dares to go for the stage after Blockhaus:D. Also I think Pellizotti might give it a go, though I don't think he has enough of a kick.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
kjetilraknerud said:
I agree with you on those three, but I still think it suits Gilbert as well. And Silence-Lotto need some success.

I would agree, but for one thing. His apparent lack of form. He showed signs of coming into form in the Ardennes, but has been very quiet since.
I doubt he has the legs to do anything. Maybe if he goes from a long way out.
Attack the first time up the hill?

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Animal said:
I just got online and got the RAI video feed up. Whats the situation?

Break of 8 ahead, have around 1:40 on the peloton, led by LPR who are closing them down fast. DDL really wants this one.

Make that 1:00

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
The gap is actually 22 seconds now, which means that Di Luca needs to win the stage AND get a gap to Menchov if he wants pink before tomorrows TT. Excellent stuff from Menchov :)

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I think we should add Menchov's name to the list of favorites to win the stage. The way he's been sprinting this Giro...
Seems to me Di Luca is stronger on a shorter sprint, up to 200m, anything above that and Menchov can wind it up from 300-400m in a bigger gear, and he has Di Luca beaten.

Zoncolan said:
I think we should add Menchov's name to the list of favorites to win the stage. The way he's been sprinting this Giro...
Seems to me Di Luca is stronger on a shorter sprint, up to 200m, anything above that and Menchov can wind it up from 300-400m in a bigger gear, and he has Di Luca beaten.

I don't know, remember how Menchov finished yesterday? He looked like over-cooked pasta on his bike, flopping all over the place. He was good at the intermediary, but he might not have the same kick at the end of the stage.

I would like to see someone like Brut get the win today, but a Menchov Vs Di Luca sprint is too tempting not to hope for.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:
I don't know, remember how Menchov finished yesterday? He looked like over-cooked pasta on his bike, flopping all over the place. He was good at the intermediary, but he might not have the same kick at the end of the stage.

I would like to see someone like Brut get the win today, but a Menchov Vs Di Luca sprint is too tempting not to hope for.

Yes he was wobbling all over the road, but that was at the end of a difficult climb, not such a difficult climb today.
I'm really looking forward to seeing what Garzelli will do. Will he dare attack Di Luca?

Zoncolan said:
Yes he was wobbling all over the road, but that was at the end of a difficult climb, not such a difficult climb today.
I'm really looking forward to seeing what Garzelli will do. Will he dare attack Di Luca?

I don't think Garzelli will do that again after the reaction he got from the Tifosi :D

But I think maybe Menchov HAS finally broken Di Luca's spirit, and yesterday's wobbly finish was owing to Di Luca's repeated accelerations, which don't seem to suit Menchov's style.

I'm thinking back now to stage 5 (I think), where Basso first played his cards and the pace was strong and steady. When they got to the top, Di Luca couldn't answer Menchov b/c the Russian had never been put into dificulty with lots of sudden pace changes.

So yeah, Menchov probably has the upper hand here. But it would be nice to see Di Luca close the gap a bit more. It'd make the finale in Rome more exciting.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:
So yeah, Menchov probably has the upper hand here. But it would be nice to see Di Luca close the gap a bit more. It'd make the finale in Rome more exciting.

I'm hoping for the same thing. And with the rain forecast for tomorrow, it would make for an interesting TT.

By the way, I think LA might get a top 5 in the TT tomorrow.

Zoncolan said:
By the way, I think LA might get a top 5 in the TT tomorrow.

I agree, and I'm astounded by his form. After three years off, at his age, and then the collarbone (which I never thought was as big a deterrent as it was made out to be) to be showing this much strength is just amazing.

Especially when you consider how big he was at the start of this Giro. He seems to be riding into a form that I never thought he would reach again.

EDIT: They should really get the helicopters out of the announcer's booth.

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
Ekimov also said Armstrong "wants to try to win the stage tomorrow. He wants to make a test on a flat course. The course is not easy and maybe it will be raining, so he won't take any unneccessary risks."

TRENDING THREADS