• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stage 21, Roma (ITT), 14.4km

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
So, the final stage is up.

I'm getting quite good at this, so today I'll try an ambitous top 5-prediction for the final stage. I think a few riders that have taken it easy in the mountains will do well today.

1. Bradley Wiggins - this stage is tailor made for him
2. Marco Pinotti - has probably targeted this stage for a few months
3. Edvald Boasson Hagen - this could be way off the mark, but EBH is good against the clock, and he certainly has been on fire this Giro.
4. Levi Leipheimer - I think he'll give it all he's got to give Astana some success, but it won't be enough
5. Denis Menchov - no explanation needed :)

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I have won with Mark Cavendish winning the stage into Firenze and I have money on Menchov winning overall, so far so good. Now I'm going to tip LL for the stage win. I'll be placing my money where my mouth is, that is.

Armstrong looks like he's been building up for this stage a little too. He's been in increasing form in the last week so that might be an advantage over some other riders and the course should suit him historically.

EBH has also said that he's focusing on this stage but the question is if he still has the legs for it.

I'm also curious to see what Jens Voigt can do today.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
Armstrong looks like he's been building up for this stage a little too. He's been in increasing form in the last week so that might be an advantage over some other riders and the course should suit him historically.

EBH has also said that he's focusing on this stage but the question is if he still has the legs for it.

I'm also curious to see what Jens Voigt can do today.
EBH certainly seemed to have good legs yesterday, so he will be interesting.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Remember that you have a lot of turns on this course so I don't think LL will win it. I'm going to say menchov will take it as he is riding so well and aggressive. Love to see what the kid for norway (Edvald Boasson Hagen) can do though.

Wiggins and Rogers are also in there and I hope they can pull something off at this Giro as they have been blanked so far.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I don't think Rogers can get a result after three weeks of racing. He will be in the top 20, but nothing more. As for his Giro, I think he is happy with a top 10 spot.

A

Anonymous

heart says brad, he has looked strong all giro, his performance in the mountain TT amazed me..

EbH? damn fine time triallist... against this class of field, not so sure, dont think he quiet has the legs

Levi? A little too short for him i feel...

Jens? Could be suited for him, but maybe a bit too twisty to suit his power, maybe a tiny bit to technical for him...

LA? Hmm... well it would be amusing for the haters to have to look at Lance on the podium.. and would at least give the italians a genuine reason for following him everywhere.. Dont think he is quite there yet though..

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Gambling, LOL, but I tend to think:

1 - Levi L. (cautious guy, but has the least to lose here; can go for broke in the corners)
2 - Boasen Hagen
3 - Lance Farmstrong (the Texan steer*)

*Let's hope his steering is better than it was the other day, LOL.

**Think Menchov could win, but he needs to be cautious and stay on his bike at all costs, just stay with/ahead of DDL. And it's in his nature to be cautious: counts his cards and plays them "right", whatever it takes.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Apparently Bruyneel twitted this AM:

"Just did a recon of the tt course. All my respect for Roma, it's a beautiful city but this course is a joke. Ri-di-cu-lous!"

So, guess it favours the (big engine + the brave) or foolhardy?

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Parrot23 said:
Apparently Bruyneel twitted this AM:

"Just did a recon of the tt course. All my respect for Roma, it's a beautiful city but this course is a joke. Ri-di-cu-lous!"

So, guess it favours the (big engine + the brave) or foolhardy?

His boys should take it easy then. Not that they've anything to lose by doing so.

Rain might start any minute now. Probably just when Wiggo will finish.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
kjetilraknerud said:
What he's trying to say is "Lance won't win today, and it's the Giro's fault".
Precisely. You could see Astana was going for stage wins this week. No luck so far. Must be bitter to ride a GT with absolutely nothing to show for in the end.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
LOL :D

They are masters at feeding/manipulating expectations. Almost everything they say is to set expectations, to twist or lever as needed. (This is not a gratuitous dig, just to say they play the "game" at various levels: medical, public relations, training, etc.)

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Parrot23 said:
Boasen H. must be flat at end of Tour. Everyone is, just more than some of the big guns, maybe, as he's younger.
Isn't it his first GT? He's probably cooked. Let him ride a few so he gains the experience.

Wiggins missing it by 1". Likely we've already the podium for the stagewin because it's really raining now.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
Isn't it his first GT? He's probably cooked. Let him ride a few so he gains the experience.

Wiggins missing it by 1". Likely we've already the podium for the stagewin because it's really raining now.

Great even to make it to the end. Kudos.

Yes, good pt. on podium vis rain. Now these guys must really be nervous, Menchov etc. Bit of a crapshoot now.

This rained-out stage is a fitting end to "the fastest Giro ever" (from the Universal Sports commentator guy). Wasn't this supposed to be the SLOWEST Giro ever, since it's the centennary and they were going to feature all these ridiculous climbs?

Instead, they turned it into a Giro Ullrich could have won. ;)

TRENDING THREADS