• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

stage 9 winners and losers

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Kwibus said:
Kreuziger once again showed he will never win a major GC I think.
He just can't handle the big mountains. It's a shame though as I live the guy.

What dekker said about Gesink

Dekker_Tifosi said:
There are still a few steps to go before Gesink can follow the likes of Andy Schleck, and there is a good chance he will never reach that level. But it's too early to say yet

applies to kreuziger who was born in the same month and year as gesink. He is young and could improve into a a schleck type.

Kwibus said:
Kreuziger once again showed he will never win a major GC I think.
He just can't handle the big mountains. It's a shame though as I live the guy.

I had hoped that Gesink would've been able to follow AC and AS or atleast Sammy Sanchez. Allthough I also feel i'm expecting waaay too much from him. Somehow I can't be really satisfied with what he did today, while he is the first dutch guy in yeeeeaaarrrss that can compete in the mountains and ride for a good GC spot. So normally I would be cheering by now, but somehow i'm kinda dissapointed.
Shame on me :D

You do realize that Gesink and Kreuziger are fairly young and that Andy Schleck is not the norm for riders of that age. I wouldn't write off their chances in the future just because they aren't developing at the same pace.
Both are fine prospects. Sammy Sanchez is a seasoned veteran of the grand tours and has shown a steady increase in quality of performance at each successive grand tour he's competed. There is no shame for these young guns to be dropped by him.

screaming fist said:
Cadel lost his chances in this tour today. But if you ask me he's a winner today. A lot of respect for trying to stay in competition with a broken ellbow.

Much respect for Evans but dude is simply snake bit in the grand tours. If I were to attempt to chronicle his history it would lead ACF to drop me from his friends list (if I'm still on it, it's hard to keep up!).