• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stannard & Kennaugh

So, Alberto Contador, Cadel Evans, Andy Schleck, Alejandro Valverde, and Rui Costa get ridden into the ground by Ian Stannard and Peter Kennaugh and they hardly even needed Richie Porte.....Hmmmmmm:rolleyes:

Stannard: a former track pursuit man and decent one day/classics rider.

Kennaugh: 24 years old and also a former track pursuit rider, riding in his first Tour.

Stannard seemed to ride on the front for a lot of last year's Giro. What point did he drop off today?

Kennaugh is a 4k team pursuiter but at a very light weight so would be expected to transfer into being a good climber. Putting in a big turn at the bottom of a climb isnt the biggest surprise ever.

Edit: Not sure that Valverde and Rui Costa's finishing times were that different from expected? Contador did fade, Evans did a bad climb, look at how many people finished in front of him. He expected to be a bit off the pace at first but this was more than expected. Andy Schleck's form is very open to question.

Stannard isnt far from being lanterne rouge so, apart from the effects of his fall, he hasnt been pushed hard until today.

hrotha said:
If Stannard and Kennaugh rode for any other team I wouldn't be particularly suspicious about their performances. By themselves, I think they've been believable so far, according to my own subjective estimations of their talent.

I'm willing to give Stannard some benefit of the doubt: he is 28, and he's proven himself to be a strong one-day man.

That still doesn't convert particularly well into setting tempo on an HC climb in the Tour and shelling most of the contenders/podium finishers from the last 3 or 4years.

Kennaugh, at 24, is going to take a bit more convincing.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
MacRoadie said:
So, Alberto Contador, Cadel Evans, Andy Schleck, Alejandro Valverde, and Rui Costa get ridden into the ground by Ian Stannard and Peter Kennaugh and they hardly even needed Richie Porte.....Hmmmmmm:rolleyes:

Stannard: a former track pursuit man and decent one day/classics rider.

Kennaugh: 24 years old and also a former track pursuit rider, riding in his first Tour.

Yep, totally agree. This is what I found more suspicious about yesterday's performance.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Cadel = clearly passed it, blew most of his past chances but at least got one

AC = thought he was naturally talented, obviously it was the dope all along

AS = an enigma as ever but hasn't had good form recently

AV = the only one riding par or better than you would expect

I don't find the domestiques performance particularly surprising. If they start doing it on the last climb of a big mountain stage then I will be taking notice.

rata de sentina said:
I don't find the domestiques performance particularly surprising. If they start doing it on the last climb of a big mountain stage then I will be taking notice.

I'm struggling with that one.

If there were one or two more cols on yesterday's stage, the Sky "domestiques" could have walked up them without worrying about just about every other rider that was considered a pre-race contender.

The fact of the matter is, regardless of the length of the stage and the number of climbs, Sky's domestiques buried every other big name in Pro Tour, Grand Tour racing.

Stannard was probably dropped quite quickly on Pailheres. Before Kennaugh it was DLG and Vasil and there were probably way over 60 people still there.

Kennaugh is surprising. Certainly talented, but apart from Route du Sud in a mediocre field with the benefit of Giro form, I haven't really noticed any great climbing from him until the Dauphine.

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Kennaugh, yeah certainly a bit scary seeing as he was putting the hurt into most of the top climbers of the past few years. Although he was supposed to be the one for the 5 year plan etc, so he's not short on talent. See pursuit etc.

Stannard, he wasn't even there on the Pailheres... So I don't know what that's about.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Euskaltel! said:
Kennaugh, yeah certainly a bit scary seeing as he was putting the hurt into most of the top climbers of the past few years. Although he was supposed to be the one for the 5 year plan etc, so he's not short on talent. See pursuit etc.

The Isle of Man is the new Tenerife!

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Kenaugh was actually a decent climber in the youth categories, but not even near the top u23 contenders.

Well, his under 23 results (inc 4th at the Mendrisio worlds, 3rd in Girobio) were when he was 19/20.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kennaugh-shines-strongly-again-on-spanish-climbs

"I did a lot of work in the winter."

right, let's see his twitter feed through december / january.
it's all there: tweets about parties, bingo nights, more parties, lying on the beech, holidays, christmas on the couch, circus night in liverpool, lots of family time.
there's exactly one whole tweet about one tough training day.

good on Pete, of course, he deserves some off time.
but "a lot of work in the winter"?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
sniper said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kennaugh-shines-strongly-again-on-spanish-climbs

right, let's see his twitter feed through december / january.
it's all there: tweets about parties, bingo nights, more parties, lying on the beech, holidays, christmas on the couch, circus night in liverpool, lots of family time.
there's exactly one whole tweet about one tough training day.

good on Pete, of course, he deserves some off time.
but "a lot of work in the winter"?
aicargw501516lipotropin hashtag work hashtag alottawork /poorgrammar

TRENDING THREADS