• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

steel frame question?

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I brought a new seven axiom steel last summer. Love the bike, but earlier this month I pulled the bottom bracket out to discover that it is full of rust. I wiped it out with a rag and wd-40 but have noticed the chain stays appear to have rust on the inside as well. I have not had a steel bike since i was a kid, and then it certainly was not a thin walled bike. So how can I treat this frame, should I be worried about it's integrity?

Thanks Matt

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I will email seven tonight, didn't think they would cover that. The shop I brought it from has ****ed me off twice now-once with wheels that they sold me on now this frame. I asked them if I needed to do anything with this frame as I will ride in the rain, sleet whatever to avoid the trainer. They told me just to wipe it down and remove the seat post, hang upside down after riding in wet conditions. I did that. The wheels are another story(200# rider and low spoke count + ****) I knew that but they did the hard sell and I went for it.:mad::mad:

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
I ride year-round with steel bikes, but I treat my frames new with T-9 or JP Weigle's before any parts go on them. But still, 1 year on a untreated bike to show rust is still totally unreasonable. By treating the inside of the frames new I can usually go a decade without any rusting problems. Matter o' fact, I'm still commuting on a 2000 Surly Cross Check that has never missed a winter and is just now showing signs of rust. Minnesota has nasty winters! This year rust did kill the chainstays of my 94 Masi 3V, but I'm sure the previous owner did not treat the frame at all.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I sprayed fish oil inside my Fico frame it had carbon stays so so problems but dont get much rain here . its 7 years old now and still clean no rust.

Its a bit soft now after 7 years but thats Fico.

Find another bike shop.

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Got a response from seven, not what I was looking for. I told them there seemed to be a lot of rust inside the chain stays. I asked if I should send it in. They said treat with frame saver and have a nice day.:eek: I don't understand how they can say that even without seeing pics?? I will treat the frame but I am still more than a little worried. Guess thats what I get for buying a steel fram from a ti brand.:mad:

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
The bike shop should have treated the frame with fish oil or equivalent if they built up the bike. For what's worth, Colnago recommened doing just that on their steel frames. There is gross negligence here.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
I've been riding my Italian steel for few years without any treatment (never in rain so far and always kept in the house). What is the exact procedure to treat the frame with JP Weigle stuff? The stuff safe for fragile Italian paint job?

TRENDING THREADS