• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Stefan Matschiner pleads guilty (Kohl, Zberg. Rasmussen??)

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Former sport manager Stefan Matschiner pleaded guilty to parts of what he is charged with when the case against him opened today in Wien. He admitted supplying eight of his clients with illegal drugs like EPO, testosterone and growth hormones from 2005 to 2008. However he denied being guilty in blood doping. The names of three of these eight clients are known: cyclists Bernhard Kohl and Markus Zberg and triathlete Lisa Hütthaler, the other five names hasn't been revealed.

Michael "Kyllingen" Rasmussen was one of Matschiners clients.
Does this make Rasmussen less desirable to Saxobank Sungard and others?

http://www.wienerzeitung.at/default.aspx?tabID=4913&alias=sport&cob=511905

Anyway, Rasmussen is busy dancing this autum: http://www.bt.dk/kendte/kyllingen-med-i-vild-med-dans

May 19, 2010
Visit site
No positive doping test in TdF 09/10: They didn't want to catch dopers

Stefan Matschiner: "Die Welt des Sports ist eine scheinheilige. Doping steht auf der Tagesordnung wie Frühstück. In der Welt des Hochleistungssports wird das akzeptiert und gedeckt bis hinauf in höchste Funktionärskreise"

Über den Umstand, dass während bzw. nach der Tour de France 2009 und 2010 offiziell kein einziger positiver Doping-Test abgelegt wurde, "kann ich nur den Kopf schütteln. Man wollte das einfach nicht."

http://kurier.at/sport/2023399.php

Cobblestones said:
One of the five could be Menchov.

Dutch runner Simon Vroemen is apparently also a former protege. Some doping related concerns on his wiki page, no formal positives or penalties.

Matschiner doesn't want to tell on those athletes/patients he still sees socially (or, speculatively, receives substantial untaxed payments from). IMO, that is a crime on top of the others. Would he go to jail for them? Love is a beautiful thing.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
this is where the jail sentencing should come in. they open the books to who, when, where in regards to athletes and chemists providing the dope, if they dont long jail sentencing if they do lifetime ban with a heavy fine.

time for law makers to take doping in sport as white collar crime (fraud) and treat it very seriously.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
this is where the jail sentencing should come in. they open the books to who, when, where in regards to athletes and chemists providing the dope, if they dont long jail sentencing if they do lifetime ban with a heavy fine.

time for law makers to take doping in sport as white collar crime (fraud) and treat it very seriously.

Nah, these guys need to do time eitherway. Cooperating should just mean a shorter sentence. A lifetime ban doesn't have enough bite for a non-athlete. Just look at Mayer. He was banned for life the first time he was busted and has managed to get caught twice more.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kohl-testifies-against-former-manager-in-austrian-trial

"Earlier in the day Matschiner admitted having given eight of his athletes EPO, testosterone and growth hormone,"

I seem to remember the dialogue being that he was just one donkey trying to be a race horse. Seems the whole team must have been donkeys...yea, it isn't systematic...

i got the impression he was a personal manager not a team manager

would be nice to know who else Stefan Matschiner managed

A

Anonymous

Kender said:
i got the impression he was a personal manager not a team manager

would be nice to know who else Stefan Matschiner managed

You are correct.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Although Matschiner denied any involvement in the sale of a blood spinner, Christian Hoffmann, an xc skier, is reported to have financed it together with Rasmussen and Kohl.

Could he be one of the 5?

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
i don’t know how the cn article missed some of the juiciest details/statements from/by matschiner' ’s trial. it’s all over german language media.

- ‘doping is like breakfast’
- ‘I don’t believe in clean 09 & 10 tours’
- 'doping is covered at the highest official level'

the last one is perfectly consistent with the accusations leveled by several riders (flandis, manzano…), and even the uci’s own scientists - there is a concerted effort to cover up some doping cases.

i hope that matschiner provides more details on the alleged uci corruption because my avatar wants to know it all and is ready to pay for his trip to the land of the free.

oh yeh almost forgot the breakfast is on my avatar too but i doubt an epo cocktail will be served. ;)

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Kohl looks about 50 in that picture. :eek:

Bala Verde said:
Although Matschiner denied any involvement in the sale of a blood spinner, Christian Hoffmann, an xc skier, is reported to have financed it together with Rasmussen and Kohl.

Could he be one of the 5?

There's no doubt Hoffman was juiced. The question is just whether Matschiner was his provider.

I have 2 names. But how many atletes would Matschiner have managed over the past, say 10 years?

On a Dutch track and field forum, mention is made of both Simon Vroemen (our fastest 3000m steeplechase runner amongst other performances) and Adrienne Herzog (1500-3000-5000m and XC) to be/have been managed by Matschiner.
Also mentioned is a diner the two athletes had with their manager during the European Championships in Götenborg, in an Italian restaurant. During this diner, Vroemen was overcome with sudden illness.

Vroemen, who after retirement remained unbeatable by the next generation of Dutch track runners, seems to have a less than spotless doping related history. An email was sent to tell on him. Where eventually because of form errors and delays, he was acquitted. Vroemen himself actively joins in on web discussions, at times bringing himself up, at other times responding to insinuations from forum members.
Vroemen himself sent what is marked as an admission of doping to the Dutch Track and Field Union. The contents he however later disputed, not santions were given. It a lot to research just in an hour of browsing.

Herzog in recent years has moved her training base to Spain, to join the group of trainer Manolo Pascua.

If it were one of the atletes that worked with Matschiner, but didn't get a doping program offered to me, I'd be real ****ed at him for now being associated with a dope dealer. If he did offer such additional services, I'd be ****ed as well, and obliged to tell on him.
If there are only 5 other athletes, we need not guess.

TRENDING THREADS