• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Steven Kruijswijk

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Djoop said:
Sickening. I had to sit and see Ulrich waiting for Armstrong and Nibs and Chaves gazz when Kruijswijk fell. Cycling seems to be made for cheats. This is going to be one stolen victory by either Chaves or Nibali.

They were supposed to wait because rider can't descend?

So what, are road stages are supposed all be either all flat or uphill now?

Re: Re:

Gloin22 said:
Djoop said:
Sickening. I had to sit and see Ulrich waiting for Armstrong and Nibs and Chaves gazz when Kruijswijk fell. Cycling seems to be made for cheats. This is going to be one stolen victory by either Chaves or Nibali.

Next they are going to introduce speed limits on descents.

Seriously, this hurts even more than 2007! Sheer pain. For a glimpse of a second he made a tiny fault. But the outcome is massive and it seems like it's all over. This was his once in a lifetime chance. He deserved it. It was a dream coming true for us and for him. Now it's shelled.

My favorites just can't win gt's. First Rasmussen, now Kruijswijk. It feels like a curse and I'm so sorry for Steven. Pantani and Hampsten stay my only favorite riders to win the Giro. But those victorys I only know retro-perspective. So it just ain't the same!

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Re:

movingtarget said:
This is when a strong team comes in handy, he was isolated for a long time but I feel sorry for him after he was looking so good. Hopefully he's not too banged up and can do something tomorrow.
He should leave lotto imo.

Don't agree this was his one chance . he should take a lot of confidence from this race regardless of what happens tomorrow.

Re:

staubsauger said:
Seriously, this hurts even more than 2007! Sheer pain. For a glimpse of a second he made a tiny fault. But the outcome is massive and it seems like it's all over. This was his once in a lifetime chance. He deserved it. It was a dream coming true for us and for him. Now it's shelled.

My favorites just can't win gt's. First Rasmussen, now Kruijswijk. It feels like a fluke and I'm so sorry for Steven. Pantani and Hampsten stay my only favorite riders to win the Giro. But those victorys I only know retro-perspective. So it just ain't the same!
I'm hoping that the xray's are negative and he can at least finish the race.

I feel for you, I've been a fan on the *** end of the stick before too. New England Patriots of 2007 is my biggest disappointment as a sports fan.

It hurts... :(

Gloin22 said:
Djoop said:

This exactly. Staying on your bike is part of cycling. If it's a big bunch crash and there is no rush to catch the breakaway and some favorite is caught in it, then I'm sure they're all delighted to let the favorites who were left behind catch back on. What is Nibali supposed to do though. Wait? He would have let Valverde back. Should the commissaires stop the race and then let everyone get the same gap they had and continue the race like if there was a railway crossing? Don't be ridiculous.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Kruijswijk says he knows he lost the giro. He also says he fell hard on his back and his body was in a lot of pain. He's mentally and physically done
I'm really sorry for him :( It's devastating, he would've battled Nibali for the stage win today and easily retain the maglia rosa. But descending is a skill you also need in a GT and I saw Kruijswijk struggling on descents before in this Giro. Also I think LottoNL-Jumbo should have sent a rider or two in a break. Roglic and Bataglin weren't needed on Agnello but could be used in the middle part of the stage. I know it's easy to be smart in hindsight. But really they should've been prepared for any circumstances. The worst part is that Steven would've been alright if he didn't lose the train of the Valverde/Majka group that was behind him when he crashed. When he had to stop to change the bike and he couldn't bridge to that group, then it was over.

Really everything went wrong for him today. Hopefully he saves his spot on the podium or even better if he recovers, takes back the magli rosa with a heroic attack. But I'm afraid his chances are very slim.

Irondan said:
staubsauger said:

My favorites just can't win gt's. First Rasmussen, now Kruijswijk. It feels like a fluke and I'm so sorry for Steven. Pantani and Hampsten stay my only favorite riders to win the Giro. But those victorys I only know retro-perspective. So it just ain't the same!
I'm hoping that the xray's are negative and he can at least finish the race.

I feel for you, I've been a fan on the **** end of the stick before too. New England Patriots of 2007 is my biggest disappointment as a sports fan.

It hurts... :(
Big thanks for your condolence, pal!- :)

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

staubsauger said:

My favorites just can't win gt's. First Rasmussen, now Kruijswijk. It feels like a curse and I'm so sorry for Steven. Pantani and Hampsten stay my only favorite riders to win the Giro. But those victorys I only know retro-perspective. So it just ain't the same!
Hang on in there. It took me almost a decade of watching cycling before one of my favourites won the Tour de France.

CheckMyPecs said:
staubsauger said:

Hang on in there. It took me almost a decade of watching cycling before one of my favourites won the Tour de France.
None of my picks have EVER won a GT (30ish years)!

TRENDING THREADS