• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

STOP COMPLAINING!!!! Please.....

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Pursuit said:
VS haters...stop it please. Don't you remember when we only got 30 minutes of coverage once a week on Wide World of Sports, narrated by John Tesh?

Everyone of us here that watches it on VS should write them a thank you!! Period. Complain any more and maybe they just take it off the air all together...then where will you be?

Greg Lemond...Stop complaining about the atheletes. When you rode you did some amazing things...are you accusing yourself of doping? No...then keep it to yourself. Facts, only the facts...no accusations, speculations, or interpretations. Let it go man.

Take this time and be thankful for all we have.
CyclingNews ...tell them thanks!!
VS... write them a thanks!!
Your local bike shop....go buy a spare tube!
The Lord... for giving us the ability to enjoy such splendor!!

Can't we all just get along!

If you could get the vultures and vampires to stop doing what they are conditioned to do, i.e. those like "BroDeal" and the other chronic complainers and blamers that are obsessively compulsive with their negative posts, then you would surely have the ability to part the sea.

Good luck.

These people are unhappy with their lives and so, they bring that unhappiness here, to this forum. They pretend to be knowers of cycling truth, but as you can clearly see, they are not. They attack with egotistical precision. They are looking for attention, which is a mental thing for them, and it doesn't matter what they leave in their wake to get it. They have been rejected over and over in their lives so they come here looking to take it out on those, like yourself, who innocently ask "why?" They don't care about you or anyone else. They are greedy, selfish and clearly totally out of control. They, and what they represent, are the ones who are directly responsible for the unhealthy condition of our economy, society and environment. Their rude behavior is a sad commentary on who they are. It's sad, yes, but understandable. Check the number of times these "have not's" post and you will see how they spend their lives, locked in some basement, probably belonging to their parents, afraid to venture out into the real world to make any kind of positive difference.

The world IS as you are.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Robert Merivel said:
If you could get the vultures and vampires to stop doing what they are conditioned to do, i.e. those like "BroDeal" and the other chronic complainers and blamers that are obsessively compulsive with their negative posts, then you would surely have the ability to part the sea.

Good luck.

These people are unhappy with their lives and so, they bring that unhappiness here, to this forum. They pretend to be knowers of cycling truth, but as you can clearly see, they are not. They attack with egotistical precision. They are looking for attention, which is a mental thing for them, and it doesn't matter what they leave in their wake to get it. They have been rejected over and over in their lives so they come here looking to take it out on those, like yourself, who innocently ask "why?" They don't care about you or anyone else. They are greedy, selfish and clearly totally out of control. They, and what they represent, are the ones who are directly responsible for the unhealthy condition of our economy, society and environment. Their rude behavior is a sad commentary on who they are. It's sad, yes, but understandable. Check the number of times these "have not's" post and you will see how they spend their lives, locked in some basement, probably belonging to their parents, afraid to venture out into the real world to make any kind of positive difference.

The world IS as you are.

Thanks for setting us strait!! I feel better now.

Fan Boy said:
Versus has the coverage that you don't prefer because it is what most likely will make them the most money. It really isn't their fault. Liggett was the most well respected announcer in cycling before everyone hated Lance Armstrong. Now he's a joke because he talks highly of him. Hilarious. The best part is people that hate Armstrong love Contador and don't think he's a doper. Both have doping accusations, both ride selfishly but one of them isn't Lance so he is great and all natural.
Where did you get that from? That's a complete lie.

May 19, 2009
Visit site
Fan Boy said:
Versus has the coverage that you don't prefer because it is what most likely will make them the most money. It really isn't their fault. Liggett was the most well respected announcer in cycling before everyone hated Lance Armstrong. Now he's a joke because he talks highly of him. Hilarious. The best part is people that hate Armstrong love Contador and don't think he's a doper. Both have doping accusations, both ride selfishly but one of them isn't Lance so he is great and all natural.

I concur on this.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
Yes! I do remember that! It was my first view of cycling.

I live in Germany and can catch cycling from a lot of various European sources. The last two years my summer vacation in the US overlapped with part of the Tour, and we watched it on Versus. It didn't impress me very much, but at least it was cycling coverage.

Susan

+1... now, if we could just get Eurosport on basic cable over here....

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site

The number of times the Versus commentators have uttered the words "Lance", "Armstrong" or a combination thereof.

I think there's an official daily quota, else they don't get paid. :p

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
No, the coverage sucks. We can watch it on the computer without them. The HD thing is pretty cool, but it is really a Sophie's Choice to watch it with those 4 morons spilling their drivel.

You have to remember Versus is aiming their coverage at a wider audience than just knowledgeable cyclists. With out the audience there would be no advertisers; and without them no Versus TdF coverage. Most Americans can name Lance as a TdF cyclist but can not name many other top US cyclists.

I agree such things as the commentators yellow jersey competition is drivel but research shows that kind of thing is appealing to the wider audience (like many other mind numbing shows on TV).

A

Anonymous

avanti said:
You have to remember Versus is aiming their coverage at a wider audience than just knowledgeable cyclists. With out the audience there would be no advertisers; and without them no Versus TdF coverage. Most Americans can name Lance as a TdF cyclist but can not name many other top US cyclists.

I agree such things as the commentators yellow jersey competition is drivel but research shows that kind of thing is appealing to the wider audience (like many other mind numbing shows on TV).

No, I UNDERSTAND why, but it still sucks.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
No, the coverage sucks. We can watch it on the computer without them. The HD thing is pretty cool, but it is really a Sophie's Choice to watch it with those 4 morons spilling their drivel.

The coverage sucks? How so? What are you 13? Everything simply "sucks", huh?

The coverage doesn't suck. I was reading about pro cycling in the '70s before it was even covered on TV so no, I don't need their explanations to know what the jersey's mean or how it is possible for a rider to win the entire race without winning a single stage but jeez I don't get on a forum and say the coverage "sucks".

I think the coverage is entertaining. But yeah maybe you need everything in life to be utterly profound and meaningful.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Pursuit said:
VS haters...stop it please. Don't you remember when we only got 30 minutes of coverage once a week on Wide World of Sports, narrated by John Tesh?

Everyone of us here that watches it on VS should write them a thank you!! Period. Complain any more and maybe they just take it off the air all together...then where will you be?

Greg Lemond...Stop complaining about the atheletes. When you rode you did some amazing things...are you accusing yourself of doping? No...then keep it to yourself. Facts, only the facts...no accusations, speculations, or interpretations. Let it go man.

Amen, brother!

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
This is the stupidest line of reasoning ever. The past is the past. You might as well say we should not complain about our iPhones because twenty years ago mobile phones were the size of bricks.

It's not stupid at all. Anyone who gets worked up about current technology given how far we have come needs to get a life. How lame can you be if that is all you have to complain about. Referencing things to the past is a good reality check. The past shapes the future.

Or maybe you complain about how much it hurts to have outpatient surgery for a condition that, 20 years ago would have resulted in a 5-inch incision and a 2-week hospital stay.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Cobber said:
If you don't like us voicing our opinions then go away. Versus coverage is trash compared to Eurosport, and this is the place where serious cycling fans can discuss/mock/ridicule it. You obviously have nothing constructive to add to these forums, so GTFO!

To me, there is no comparison. VS is much better than EuroSport. I listened to EuroSport in my hotel a couple of weeks ago while traveling and had to turn off the sound since Sean Kelly's non-stop muttering was driving me insane.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
Yes! I do remember that! It was my first view of cycling.

I live in Germany and can catch cycling from a lot of various European sources. The last two years my summer vacation in the US overlapped with part of the Tour, and we watched it on Versus. It didn't impress me very much, but at least it was cycling coverage.

Susan

What does impress you? Would I be impressed by you if I met you in person? Given that you are obviously a person with very high standards, I would expect you to be well-educated, physically fit, talented in the arts, accomplished in your chosen field, etc.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
AlbertLukather said:
To me, there is no comparison. VS is much better than EuroSport. I listened to EuroSport in my hotel a couple of weeks ago while traveling and had to turn off the sound since Sean Kelly's non-stop muttering was driving me insane.

Well, I guess if you like watching anything but cycling, and listening to commentary that is centered only around one rider then Versus is the coverage for you!

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
AlbertLukather said:
What does impress you? Would I be impressed by you if I met you in person? Given that you are obviously a person with very high standards, I would expect you to be well-educated, physically fit, talented in the arts, accomplished in your chosen field, etc.

Wow... congratulations. Your first day posting here and you have attacked the most respected member of these forums.

Pursuit said:
Don't you remember when we only got 30 minutes of coverage once a week on Wide World of Sports, narrated by John Tesh?

John Tesh never did the narration. He provided the new age music that was paired with the race footage. They still had Phil Liggett for the commentary and narration. That was when CBS broadcast the race once a week.

After that ABC took over and ditched the music. They kept Phil and added Sam Posey for some unknown reason. It was still only once a week.

So I agree with you. I don't know why people are complaining. I can't believe we get coverage of a sport that is really not popular in this country, or on the North American continent for that matter.

I agree that the announcers spend way too much time talking about Armstrong and the Americans in general. I blame the network for probably forcing them to do that.

Years ago, when OLN/Versus used to broadcast live Giro coverage every day, things were better. There was not an American team in that race. There was no Lance Armstrong in that race for them to talk about, and not many American riders in the race either. So they focused on the race.

I don't like listening to Bob Roll cheerlead for Armstrong all the time. When he did the Giro commentary on the other hand, I really enjoyed listened to what he had to say since he wasn't a cheerleader for anybody then.

Pursuit said:

The numbers are up 80% this year because of a certain bike rider that goes by the name of Lance Armstrong. It's hard to blame them for kissing up to all these extra people, and feeding them the junk they desire. I don't see McDonald's taking fries off the menu any time soon either...

Having said that, and even putting aside the Bobke's blatantly over-the-top comedic antics, I do think they take it further than is required even for their ratings.

I mean, whether Contador made a mistake when he isolated himself is arguable as best (and I've certainly argued it myself), but they present it as if it is fact.

Whether Contador will help Lance on Ventoux is an interesting question (and I've devoted a thread and way too much to it), but they could and should do a much better job explains the pros and cons of him doing so.

In other words, yeah, Lance is the hook, but they could and should be doing a much better job selling the sport itself, by explaining all the fascinating details better, than just gorging on the Lance thing. It's the difference between cotton candy and steak.

P.S.

Your Lord has as much to do with anything as does the flying spaghetti monster.

Part of all this is simply the difference between European and American coverage of sports. Take the Olympics as an example. Here in GErmany we could watch every single event (on a mulititude of channels) without commercial breaks. Believe me, you can get used to that real fast!

And remember, each different language that Eurosport goes out in has its own broadcasters. I listen to the Germans, so I have no idea what the UK commentators are like.

Susan

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Cobber said:
Wow... congratulations. Your first day posting here and you have attacked the most respected member of these forums.

I must have forgotten that I must learn who is who before stating my opinion or questioning anyone. Like someone's reputation on an internet forum matters to me?

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
And incredibly gorgeous, too, you forgot that one! :D

I didn't mention physical appearance so as not to appear too shallow. Of course, if you were born with good looks, that's just good fortune.

However, you must be quite the catch!

TRENDING THREADS