• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

STOP COMPLAINING!!!! Please.....

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
AlbertLukather said:
What does impress you? Would I be impressed by you if I met you in person? Given that you are obviously a person with very high standards, I would expect you to be well-educated, physically fit, talented in the arts, accomplished in your chosen field, etc.

Dude!:rolleyes:

Susan not only happens to be a writer for CN (you'll find her byline on articles on the news page) but also just about the only moderator to ever show herself in the forum. Susan is ok, so watch it.;)

A

Anonymous

VeloFidelis said:
How do you know it Sucks, if as you claim, you don't watch it?

Um, its that reading comprehension thing again, I never said I didn't watch it. I said it was a tough choice between HD and watching it on the net. Most times HD wins.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
SlantParallelogram said:
So for anybody that missed it. I like Bob Roll's commentary as long as he isn't cheerleading for Armstrong or other American riders.

Exactly, very entertaining.

Of course, even if he is cheerleading, I can excuse that. I mean, there isn't really such a thing as unbiased journalism anymore is there? Why should we be so concerned about "fairness" in the broadcast of a cycling show?

Anyway, I don't think they are all that biased. If you "read/listen between the lines", they are careful not to go too far.

A

Anonymous

AlbertLukather said:
The coverage sucks? How so? What are you 13? Everything simply "sucks", huh?

The coverage doesn't suck. I was reading about pro cycling in the '70s before it was even covered on TV so no, I don't need their explanations to know what the jersey's mean or how it is possible for a rider to win the entire race without winning a single stage but jeez I don't get on a forum and say the coverage "sucks".

I think the coverage is entertaining. But yeah maybe you need everything in life to be utterly profound and meaningful.

I think that says everything right there, does it not? Some people like Britney Spears because she is entertaining, and some people have taste in music.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
Part of all this is simply the difference between European and American coverage of sports. Take the Olympics as an example. Here in GErmany we could watch every single event (on a mulititude of channels) without commercial breaks. Believe me, you can get used to that real fast!

And remember, each different language that Eurosport goes out in has its own broadcasters. I listen to the Germans, so I have no idea what the UK commentators are like.

Susan

Believe me, I have no issue with a broadcast that simply covers the event in its entirety with little or no commentary - allowing the drama on screen to be the draw.

However, the EuroSports coverage that I heard 3 weeks ago was something we couldn't listen to. The announcer would open his mouth and out would spew what seemed like 5 paragraphs of non-stop, monotone blabbering.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
I think that says everything right there, does it not? Some people like Britney Spears because she is entertaining, and some people have taste in music.

And some people with taste in music realize there is room for both. Good music and entertainment can be found in the same artist. Not every great jazz player turned his back on the crowd with disdain. For every Miles Davis (great as he was), there was a multitiude of artists who also entertained thier audience without compromising their music (Louis Armstrong, Cab Calloway, Duke Ellington). Not that there is anything wrong with music for purely entertainment sake. There is room for Miles Davis AND The Monkees if you are really listening for what each brings.

Besides I think that a sports broadcast exists largely for entertainment purposes.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
AlbertLukather said:
No, some people with taste in music realize that not everything has to be serious. There is room for Miles Davis as well as the Monkees if you are really listening for what each brings.

I can dig Miles, and the Monkees for nostalgic reasons, but I really draw the line at Britney.:eek:

A

Anonymous

Ninety5rpm said:
And some people like Britney Spears because she is entertaining, but mean with the sound off.

Maybe 7 years or so ago, but dude, that thing is a walking Walmart of skank.

A

Anonymous

AlbertLukather said:
No, some people with taste in music realize that not everything has to be serious. There is room for Miles Davis as well as the Monkees if you are really listening for what each brings.

It isn't the lack of seriousness that creates the giant sucking sound that is Versus' coverage of the Tour. It is the fact that they broadcast from the inside of Lance Armstrong's colon.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Pursuit said:
VS haters...stop it please. Don't you remember when we only got 30 minutes of coverage once a week on Wide World of Sports, narrated by John Tesh?

Everyone of us here that watches it on VS should write them a thank you!! Period. Complain any more and maybe they just take it off the air all together...then where will you be?

Greg Lemond...Stop complaining about the atheletes. When you rode you did some amazing things...are you accusing yourself of doping? No...then keep it to yourself. Facts, only the facts...no accusations, speculations, or interpretations. Let it go man.

Take this time and be thankful for all we have.
CyclingNews ...tell them thanks!!
VS... write them a thanks!!
Your local bike shop....go buy a spare tube!
The Lord... for giving us the ability to enjoy such splendor!!

Can't we all just get along!

Whether or not you like Versus coverage depends on which rider you cheer for. I used to love the way P&P pulled for my man Ulle, but didn't like the way they put LA on a pedestal. The only thing that reveals is my own bias as a fan. Phil is a classic announcer and it would be a shame not to hear his voice. We have a hockey announcer like him here in Canada named Bob Cole... a little behind the play, gets the names wrong half the time, but he's been around forever and part of tuning in is hearing his passionate voice.

So yes, I appreciate Versus even though I quickly tire of the coverage being the LA show instead of the TDF. Paul uses the same lines in the closing kilometres of every stage, Bobke doesn't have much insight to offer, Craig can't say 10 words without "Lance" being 5 of them... but I still enjoy the show and will be tuning in at a ridiculous hour tomorrow morning to watch them all ride up the Ventoux.

AlbertLukather said:
However, the EuroSports coverage that I heard 3 weeks ago was something we couldn't listen to. The announcer would open his mouth and out would spew what seemed like 5 paragraphs of non-stop, monotone blabbering.

Then your problem is more with the individual commentator, rather than with Eurosport itself. As a rule, I like the German commentators (karsten especially).

The alternative of course is to turn the sound off.

Susan

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Greg Lemond...Stop complaining about the atheletes. When you rode you did some amazing things...are you accusing yourself of doping? No...then keep it to yourself. Facts, only the facts...no accusations, speculations, or interpretations. Let it go man.

Lemond is ok with me. His rants cost him dearly when Lance flexed and Trek dropped the Lemond brand, and all he asks is that riders produce their numbers so that a scientific analysis can be made. Of course, AC wouldn't provide DNA to the Puerto investigators, so GL is wasting his breath.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
3702582364_588e9f437f.jpg

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
Then your problem is more with the individual commentator, rather than with Eurosport itself. As a rule, I like the German commentators (karsten especially).

The alternative of course is to turn the sound off.

Susan

... or more likely the accent of an individual commentator. I have listened to Sean Kelly over the internet and his commentary is a hell of a lot more informative and insightful than the P+P on Versus (not to mention Bob Roll and the other guy).

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Cobber said:
... or more likely the accent of an individual commentator. I have listened to Sean Kelly over the internet and his commentary is a hell of a lot more informative and insightful than the P+P on Versus (not to mention Bob Roll and the other guy).

I love listening to Sean Kelly's commentary. Sure he can be a bit monotone, but he's very informative. As for Phil, yes he's a legend, but the flubs and mistakes have gotten worse over the years and make it more annoying for me to listen to him.

A

Anonymous

saphblue said:
I love listening to Sean Kelly's commentary. Sure he can be a bit monotone, but he's very informative. As for Phil, yes he's a legend, but the flubs and mistakes have gotten worse over the years and make it more annoying for me to listen to him.

+1......................

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Well, there is CONSTRUCTIVE criticism as a mechanism to improve on anything. Versus could use some constructive criticism on their coverage for sure. My contribution would be: please get rid of Craig Hummer !!!!!!

A

Anonymous

Deagol said:
Well, there is CONSTRUCTIVE criticism as a mechanism to improve on anything. Versus could use some constructive criticism on their coverage for sure. My contribution would be: please get rid of Craig Hummer !!!!!!

They could also use a teargas grenade lobbed onto the set every morning, but why get picky?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
AlbertLukather said:
I must have forgotten that I must learn who is who before stating my opinion or questioning anyone. Like someone's reputation on an internet forum matters to me?

No you hadn't forgotten who it is before you say your opinion - you just forgot your manners.

I watch the Versus (USA) coverage - Yes, the LA stuff is waaay OTT - but he is the cash cow so I expect that.

However, I feel they are missing the opportunity to show that there is a lot more to the sport than just the Tour - if they built up the fan base they could cover more races and build up the sport.

Craig Hummer is a treat compared to Al Trautwig, that guy was terrible.

Craig seems to actually have a little knowledge and enthusiasm.

Even Sam Posey was way better than Al Trautwig was.

So to sum things up, I really didn't like Al Trautwig at all.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Deagol said:

But don't you think he's a lot better than Varsha and, heaven help us, Troutwig? I enjoyed listening to Magnus Backstedt on CyclingTV. Maybe Versus could use an articulate, knowledgeable ex-rider to balance out Bobke.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
No you hadn't forgotten who it is before you say your opinion - you just forgot your manners.

I watch the Versus (USA) coverage - Yes, the LA stuff is waaay OTT - but he is the cash cow so I expect that.

However, I feel they are missing the opportunity to show that there is a lot more to the sport than just the Tour - if they built up the fan base they could cover more races and build up the sport.

agreed with everything.

everybody else (self included), take note... this is how you have a PRODUCTIVE conversation on this forum.

TRENDING THREADS