• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

STOP COMPLAINING!!!! Please.....

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
Dude!:rolleyes:

Susan not only happens to be a writer for CN (you'll find her byline on articles on the news page) but also just about the only moderator to ever show herself in the forum. Susan is ok, so watch it.;)

Now that is a reply to which I have no reply!!! I will gladly accept this chastisement given these facts. With those kind of credentials, I agree that she would be able to state that a particular cycling broadcast failed to impress her.

My apologies. This was actually an easy apology to write because it is a nice change to hear that someone is actually stating an informed opinion and not just typical internet commentary.

Seriously, thanks for setting me straight.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
55 years old? Just guessing...

Wrong. Those were just 2 artists that were about as diametrically opposed as I could get at the moment.

Should I use something more current? How about, "there is room for Jack White and Maroon 5" (not saying Maroon 5 is equivalent to The Monkees just that Maroon 5 is clearly pop whereas Jack White is going for a whole 'nother thing with his authentic/roots sound).

Still not the best comparison but the point is, there is as much room for music (and anything else) that exists largely to entertain as there is room for music that comes from a more serious place. And, after listening to and playing/performing everything from obscure baroque music to punk, I have learned to appreciate it all for the differences that each bring rather than assign some sort of rating chart to all of it.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
saphblue said:
But don't you think he's a lot better than Varsha and, heaven help us, Troutwig? I enjoyed listening to Magnus Backstedt on CyclingTV. Maybe Versus could use an articulate, knowledgeable ex-rider to balance out Bobke.

Yes, Al Trautwig was really bad, another ex-rider to fo on Versus? now that would be a good idea!

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
I can dig Miles, and the Monkees for nostalgic reasons, but I really draw the line at Britney.:eek:

I can understand that. But, as a player, I tend to listen to whatever is happening with any artist (even if it isn't the artist themselves) and there is some good production going on. it is an art to come up with a catchy hook. Plus, her producers use the best players in the studio and on the road so, if you listen, there is something cool to catch your ear.

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
Then your problem is more with the individual commentator, rather than with Eurosport itself. As a rule, I like the German commentators (karsten especially).

The alternative of course is to turn the sound off.

Susan

Can you differentiate between the two though? The network employs the commentators they feel can deliver the product they envision.

And yes, with regard to Eurosport, I did turn off the sound:D

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
saphblue said:
I love listening to Sean Kelly's commentary. Sure he can be a bit monotone, but he's very informative. As for Phil, yes he's a legend, but the flubs and mistakes have gotten worse over the years and make it more annoying for me to listen to him.

Kelly is certainly knowledgeable. But, if he drives a longtime fan like me to distraction, then what would he do to a more casual viewer?

I think you have to strive for the whole package. The knowledge alone may not be enough - it has to be delivered in a way that communicates effectively. I didn't mention that there was another commentator who delivered his commentary in an almost identical fashion to create this double-whammy of non-stop monotony.

The point is, I am not really complaining about Kelly. Compared to having no cycling coverage, I would be grateful for almost anything and am not here to rag on any networks coverage only to say that VS isn't all that bad from my perspective.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
AlbertLukather said:
Now that is a reply to which I have no reply!!! I will gladly accept this chastisement given these facts. With those kind of credentials, I agree that she would be able to state that a particular cycling broadcast failed to impress her.

My apologies. This was actually an easy apology to write because it is a nice change to hear that someone is actually stating an informed opinion and not just typical internet commentary.

Seriously, thanks for setting me straight.

No probs, Al. Welcome, and congratulations on making it through the first day.;)

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
SlantParallelogram said:
Bob Varsha is one of my favorite formula1 / auto racing announcers. :)

Give the guy a break.

I agree that he's good on the F1 coverage. In my opinion, I didn't think cycling was a good fit for him. He'll never be as bad as Trautwig, so there I gave him a break. ;)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
SlantParallelogram said:
John Tesh never did the narration. He provided the new age music that was paired with the race footage. They still had Phil Liggett for the commentary and narration. That was when CBS broadcast the race once a week.

Tesh did some voice over narration in addition to the music
He was the one who did the voiceover for cbs Paris Roubaix coverage
remember him saying "abandon all hope all...."?

VS is so much better this year than in years past.
can anyone here say "Kirsten Gum"? :eek:

She was the worst,

i think i just made myself ill....:eek:

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Thankfulness

The VS coverage isn't very good, but I am very thankful that we have it nevertheless. Ill, you are correct in that nobody's mind will be changed by anything written here, if for no other reason than because our level of discourse is at such a low and base level. It seems that we are more concerned with voicing our distaste and disappointment with racing at this year's Tour, with the media coverage of that event, and, sadly, with one another than we are with any meaningful exchange or dialogue about the events themselves. That's all really too bad, because most of us seem to know quite a lot about bike racing, and we must care about sharing our knowledge with others, and we share a common passion, namely riding bikes. So, with so many interests, it probably would take very little to make the atmosphere much more pleasant. Please, forgive me if I've been offensive: I'm new here and am not trying to be judgemental. On the contrary, I'm trying to be constructive.