Strade Bianche 2013, March 2nd, 188 kms 1.1

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Lance Armstrong said:
Flat tire with 50km to go, just when the peloton was breaking apart. But still I don't think that cobbles suits him, Cancellara to win.
You do know that Sagan came second in the junior Paris-Roubaix in 2008? I think he's able to handle cobblestones pretty well ;)
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
true legend said:
Where have you heard Boom was sick aswell? To my knowledge only Wynants, Hofland and Vanmarcke have been sick. And Nordhaugg with bad knee ofcourse
Boom was already not fit before and during the Omloop. According to @tourdejose, he won't finish the race today, and as he was already leading the peloton a few minutes ago that will probably be the case.
 
theyoungest said:
Boom was already not fit before and during the Omloop. According to @tourdejose, he won't finish the race today, and as he was already leading the peloton a few minutes ago that will probably be the case.
can't find it on tourdejose's twitter, but Anthony McCrosson confirmed it as well:

Spoke to Lars Boom at the start of #stradebianche today. He has been sick all week but desperately wanted to ride as he loves this terrain
Edit: Erik Dekker:

50 km done. Vanmarcke and Boom stopped due to health problems
 
Oct 23, 2011
3,846
2
0
theyoungest said:
Slagter probably got #1 from the organizers because he's the leader in the WT, whatever that signifies. Their team is not that strong, they're two riders down to begin with (Hofland and Wynants, both sick) and Boom and Vanmarcke are sick as well. Then there's Nordhaug with his knee injury, and you're not left with too many credible cards to play.
Ah right, thanks for the update

I was just looking at the names; I saw Boom, Slagter, Vanmarcke and Nordhaug, which just seemed like an awesome classics team to me, but I guess with the additional information you gave it's a bit different. :eek:
 
Maaaaaaaarten said:
Ah right, thanks for the update

I was just looking at the names; I saw Boom, Slagter, Vanmarcke and Nordhaug, which just seemed like an awesome classics team to me, but I guess with the additional information you gave it's a bit different. :eek:
Martens and Nordhaug are still good though
 
Feb 14, 2011
27
0
0
I believe Slagter to be the team leader, but i seems to remember Nordhaugg spoke about wanting to perform well in strade bianche. Thats a couple of months ago so hard to tell with his knee causing problems.
 
May 28, 2012
2,779
0
0
It's 2011 all over again for the Dutch team... Great results until the Omloop, and then total collapse. Riders getting all kinds of illnesses and injuries is all part of this. Just 2 finishers in Langkawi, both cobbled leaders ill for a week, Nordhaug with a knee problem. Slagter is their only hope for the next months, although he probably can't handle the longer and harder WT-races. Today won't be his day either with such a great startlist. Maybe a health insurance company will consider sponsoring them now?
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
Pentacycle said:
It's 2011 all over again for the Dutch team... Great results until the Omloop, and then total collapse. Riders getting all kinds of illnesses and injuries is all part of this. Just 2 finishers in Langkawi, both cobbled leaders ill for a week, Nordhaug with a knee problem. Slagter is their only hope for the next months, although he probably can't handle the longer and harder WT-races. Maybe a health insurance company will consider sponsoring them now?
You're certainly the master of jumping to conclusions quickly... a bit frustrated maybe?

'Slagter is their only hope for the next months'. Have you forgotten about Mollema, to name just one?

true legend said:
I believe Slagter to be the team leader, but i seems to remember Nordhaugg spoke about wanting to perform well in strade bianche. Thats a couple of months ago so hard to tell with his knee causing problems.
In their neverending wisdom, they've made Vanmarcke sleep in one room with Slagter, so maybe Slagter will soon abandon as well ;)
 
May 28, 2012
2,779
0
0
theyoungest said:
You're certainly the master of jumping to conclusions quickly... a bit frustrated maybe?

'Slagter is their only hope for the next months'. Have you forgotten about Mollema, to name just one?
Mollema, the eternal second? Look, during TDU I constantly played down Slagter's chances, and then he won, and last year's Eneco I never thought Boom would be able to ride like that. I'm just getting superstitious(although I'm not into such bull**** at all), I think I'd better not support Dutch riders again. 2011 TdF I thought Gesink would kick *** there, but from the first day on he was crashing already. It's sometimes better to expect nothing from the Dutch, makes it much better when they actually do perform.

And yeah, it's indeed very frustrating to root for Dutch riders.
 
Jul 29, 2012
11,703
3
0
Pentacycle said:
Mollema, the eternal second? Look, during TDU I constantly played down Slagter's chances, and then he won, and last year's Eneco I never thought Boom would be able to ride like that. I'm just getting superstitious(although I'm not into such bull**** at all), I think I'd better not support Dutch riders again. 2011 TdF I thought Gesink would kick *** there, but from the first day on he was crashing already. It's sometimes better to expect nothing from the Dutch, makes it much better when they actually do perform.

And yeah, it's indeed very frustrating to root for Dutch riders.
It's just that you shouldn't expect anything from the Dutch in the tour, ever.
 
May 28, 2012
2,779
0
0
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Speaking of which, Thomas Dekker is in this race as well. Ofcourse I expect nothing but I hope he at least finishes the race well (not in last groups or abandon)
That's the spirit. :D Although you're already hoping he finishes in a good group, which is fairly optimistic.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY