• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Strade Bianche 2013, March 2nd, 188 kms 1.1

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I honestly wouldn't mind if Cancellara broke Sagan once with an attack of him, but he doesn't seem strong enough. You can't wheelsuck Sagan either. I'm afraid he'll win Milan-San Remo and the Ronde van Vlaanderen rather easily.

This race was almost impossible to win against Cannondale by the way, Sagan and Moser together were too much for every team.

Anyway, I figured already that Valverde wasn't in too great shape despite him winning a lot. He finished 11 seconds down on Sagan and 10 on Cancellara.

we'll i'd say, that now the things got pretty ****ty for the other teams. Given the circumstances that both sagan and moser are in the lead group, the winning team could be obvious. They could repeat this trick round and round. The problem is, that if the moser goes, he can very easily end up wining, and if he's not allowed to go, he will just catch every attempt to break, which will end up in sagan winning. Probably, the only tactics against this would be to let moser go, then kick sagan off the bike and then catch moser :D.

El Pistolero said:
Anyway, I figured already that Valverde wasn't in too great shape despite him winning a lot. He finished 11 seconds down on Sagan and 10 on Cancellara.

He punctured just after entering the hardest sterrato sector of the race 50 kms from the finish. He had no team mates and was 45 seconds behind the peloton at one point, then managed to get back.

A huge waste of energy for sure.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
SafeBet said:
He punctured just after entering the hardest sterrato sector of the race 50 kms from the finish. He had no team mates and was 45 seconds behind the peloton at one point, then managed to get back.

A huge waste of energy for sure.

Wouldn't have mattered to Sagan. :D

But okay, fair enough. Just watched the last 10km. Good race, 2011 and 2012 I found to be a bit boring to be honest.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Wouldn't have mattered to Sagan. :D

But okay, fair enough. Just watched the last 10km. Good race, 2011 and 2012 I found to be a bit boring to be honest.

Didn't Gilbert win in 2011? ;)

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
tomorrow said:
we'll i'd say, that now the things got pretty ****ty for the other teams. Given the circumstances that both sagan and moser are in the lead group, the winning team could be obvious. They could repeat this trick round and round. The problem is, that if the moser goes, he can very easily end up wining, and if he's not allowed to go, he will just catch every attempt to break, which will end up in sagan winning. Probably, the only tactics against this would be to let moser go, then kick sagan off the bike and then catch moser :D.

The presence of Boonen however might change everything, since he might be able to beat Sagan in a sprint, and so the slovak might be forced to change tactic.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Miburo said:
Didn't Gilbert win in 2011? ;)

Yeah, I consider it to be one of his lowest one day wins. Just above GP de Wallonie perhaps(and all his little French one day race wins in that Coupe de France thing + the races in Mallorca)

Peccio89 said:
The presence of Boonen however might change everything, since he might be able to beat Sagan in a sprint, and so the slovak might be forced to change tactic.
Boonen already beat Sagan in a sprint when it mattered, so no need for might ;)

(Although I do think that Sagan is a better sprinter than Boonen)

May 28, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Yeah, I consider it to be one of his lowest one day wins. Just above GP de Wallonie perhaps.

He was just building his condition there just like Sagan now, and apart from his Tirreno stage win he wasn't really good on the other hilly stages as well. It was MSR that really got him started two years ago.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
tomorrow said:

We still don't know if Moser will ever ride the Ronde van Vlaanderen or Roubaix.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
He was just building his condition there just like Sagan now, and apart from his Tirreno stage win he wasn't really good on the other hilly stages as well. It was MSR that really got him started two years ago.

I don't think Sagan is building much form anymore, he's at a really high level already and I think he can hold it till the Ronde van Vlaanderen. Since 2009 Gilbert has always taken a rather quiet start of the season. He's 3kg overweight at the moment.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
I don't think Sagan is building much form anymore, he's at a really high level already and I think he can hold it till the Ronde van Vlaanderen. Since 2009 Gilbert has always taken a rather quiet start of the season. He's 3kg overweight at the moment.

Sagan's been ill before his Camaiore win. No way he's in top shape now, and imo he didn't look very good today until the sprint. I think he was glad he had a teammate in front so he only had to keep everything together. He didn't have too much confidence, Moser seems in better shape despite this being his second race of the year.

About Gilbert I have no idea when he'll be in contention, I hope he shows something tomorrow in Paris-Nice.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
Sagan's been ill before his Camaiore win. No way he's in top shape now, and imo he didn't look very good today until the sprint. I think he was glad he had a teammate in front so he only had to keep everything together. He didn't have too much confidence, Moser seems in better shape despite this being his second race of the year.

About Gilbert I have no idea when he'll be in contention, I hope he shows something tomorrow in Paris-Nice.

I doubt it was a serious illness if he already won in his first race he started in since Oman... He's in top form. He doesn't really have much peaks, he's consistent throughout much of the season. After the Tour last year he was on the decline though.

El Pistolero said:
I doubt it was a serious illness if he already won in his first race he started in since Oman... He's in top form. He doesn't really have much peaks, he's consistent throughout much of the season. After the Tour last year he was on the decline though.
I think Sagan is the same place form-wise as Boonen was last year in Omloop. Very good but still room for improvement.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
gruppeto993 said:
what do you mean do some strategising?? his team was completely invisible. what is he supposed to do about that? sagan was glued onto his wheel so if he did attack then he would be dragging sagan for the win. he could have caught moser in the finale but he was the lone chaser in the final kms and did too much work. He desperately needs to find a new team. Saxobank.

Knowing his team is weak, he desperately needs to make friends/do deals with other teams. The fact that this doesn't really seem to happen makes me wonder if Fabs is possibly not terribly popular among his peers, or just doesn't offer up enough money.

This guy never should've left Riis the way he did. But he made his bed when he disappeared during the Vuelta mid-stage. By now he ought to have figured out some sort of contingency plan until he can get out of Shack (or to have pressured Shack to hire him enough help)