• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Strade Bianche 2024, March 2, one-day classic (men's)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
World is not ready for blonde Pogacar

GHcwnFPWIAAegNg

GHcwn3_XIAAsnCu
He thinks changing form to Super Saiyan will be enough?!

Maybe, but I watched my first race in 68 and I'm pretty sure the term was in use in Cycling magazine in The UK during the 70's.
Term monuments I think first came in 1989 with the creating of the World Cup.
Before that, top 8 one-day races were 5 monuments plus Paris-Tours, Paris-Brussels and Fleche Wallonne. Only rider who won all of them was, to the surprise of many, not Eddy Merckx, but Rik Van Looy. This so called hierarchy last at least to mid-60's, when first Paris-Brussels because of traffic problems was not held for 6 years (1967-1972). In the meantime Amstel Gold Race took it's place on the calendar, and Paris-Brussels was moved to september. The final nail in the coffin for this race was not including it for the World Cup.
First strike for Fleche Wallonne was moving it from Saturday to Wednesday I think in mid 70's (this would give much bigger significance to rival Liege rode on Sunday). The second blow was not including it in the World Cup, but Fleche, unlike Paris-Brussels, survived and stayed pretty big race nowadays.
Paris Tours route constantly changed from 1974-1987, and the led to some loss of it's significance. The race was, somehow included in the World Cup, but since the beggining of that competition it was clear that today's 5 monuments were given greater significance. Race definitelly lost most of it's prestige from 2009 by not being included in UCI World Tour.
As I see, Zuri-Metzgete could only be called "the 6th monument", during the World Cup campaigne (1989-2004), when indeed you could say that it was the 6th biggest one day race.

Before that, top 8 one-day races were 5 monuments plus Paris-Tours, Paris-Brussels and Fleche Wallonne. Only rider who won all of them was, to the surprise of many, not Eddy Merckx, but Rik Van Looy. This so called hierarchy last at least to mid-60's, when first Paris-Brussels because of traffic problems was not held for 6 years (1967-1972). In the meantime Amstel Gold Race took it's place on the calendar, and Paris-Brussels was moved to september. The final nail in the coffin for this race was not including it for the World Cup.
First strike for Fleche Wallonne was moving it from Saturday to Wednesday I think in mid 70's (this would give much bigger significance to rival Liege rode on Sunday). The second blow was not including it in the World Cup, but Fleche, unlike Paris-Brussels, survived and stayed pretty big race nowadays.
Paris-Brussels still kinda exists, but it's now called the Brussels Cycling Classic. It has big names among recent winners like Evenepoel, Boonen, Ewan, Démare, Greipel, McEwen, ... and is considered a nice semi classic. Of course clearly below the other mentioned races. Since 2022, it moved from the end of the summer back to early June.

Paris Tours route constantly changed from 1974-1987, and the led to some loss of it's significance. The race was, somehow included in the World Cup, but since the beggining of that competition it was clear that today's 5 monuments were given greater significance. Race definitelly lost most of it's prestige from 2009 by not being included in UCI World Tour.
As I see, Zuri-Metzgete could only be called "the 6th monument", during the World Cup campaigne (1989-2004), when indeed you could say that it was the 6th biggest one day race.
I will have to check but your description of the 8 top races doesn’t fit what I’m remember going back to the ‘80s. Gent was just as big or bigger race than Flèche, and Championships of Zurich were also close to that level.

Can't overstate my disappointment at WvA , VdP ,and Remco for not racing this.
And et tu, Egan? You join Team Charmin as well?
Best one-day race. But ok, you guys go race through some industrial park in Flanders instead.
Yo lighten up sofa surfer!! Lot's of great industrial park races!!Ziggart ...Sorrento Valley!!or downtown Tijuana w a Filipe payment to the cops to close down the streets!!
I too am bummed not to see a true matchup of the best. But don't make industrial parks a bad thing.. It is sort of depressing to see big trucks and trailers, loading docks and chain link fence as part of the race scenery instead of Italy. !!
Flanders has some beauty that is for sure but like lots of Belgium there is a dirty industrial underbelly!!
I am going Pidcock,
Saw Mohoric on the Irish guy Redman, podcast and he was pretty emotional about what a big win did for his career, I would not mind seeing him or a long shot.
And someone said Del Toro which for sure I would love,all of Ensenada!! But might be a little deeper distance for him being first year at this level.. Never know..