• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sugar Tax, Jamie oliver

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

ray j willings said:
LaFlorecita said:
Skinny people can develop type 2 diabetes too. You and your kids may be super skinny but who knows what kind of damage the sugar is doing on the inside.

Sugar is not bad. Put a few scopes in your water bottle before you go for a ride or a run.
Look at Thailand etc . Diets are high sugar , rice. fruit carb loaded diets .You don't see many fat people.
Look at France they eat Very rich lunches " high fats " and with wine, again a very slim race of people.
Its about excess, balance.
People are so hung up about foods and body image. It's put pressure on generation's of people who all feel they must have shiny white teeth that glow in the dark and 20 inch waist's and orange tans.
Kids look up to "stars /sporting hero's" Its just not realistic and for a lot of young men and women this leads to depression and they eat and the circle of despair begins. Life should not be about what you eat. Food should not control your life.
"super skinny" I don't like that term . My kids are healthy and lean which they should be for their age.
No young kid should be fat /tubby. IMO that amounts to child abuse. Parents need to get control of what they eat and their kids. You don't often see fat kids and slim parents.

I agree that having a coke when out on a long ride or run isn't a bad idea. That's the thing - it's a sport drink. Drinking a sports drink when you're not doing sport is the problem.

Also there is a big difference between eating refined sugar and natural sugar found in fruit and veg. As mentioned in the lecture I linked - when god created the poison (fructose) he packaged it with the antidote (fiber).

As regards thailand, there is a growing obesity problem here and I see a lot of overweight kids around.

ray j willings said:
This is the biggest load of BS. Fat mock cockney Jamie Oliver talking about obesity .
Both my sons eat sweets big bags of haribos and have sugar they also have the occasional junk food.
They are both skinny healthy chaps. Slim no fat, tiny waists just like they should have for their age 9 and 13.
I used to eat sweets and have 3 sugars in my tea when I was growing up I was not fat.
Sugar don't make you fat it gives you energy. Put some in your water bottle when you go for a ride ,try it.
Have a full can of coke when you have the last few K's to go on a long bike ride and all that sugar works just fine as it should and does. Look at country's where people eat lots of sugar, fruits, rice. Slim.
Look at us and our take away chemical food induced world, obese. Sugar is not the problem

My youngest son has a friend [ 9years old] who is fat. His family are fat. They just eat to much food.
They eat to much cr5p food as well. No Flipping way should a young child be fat.
If they are fat then they are eating crazy amounts of fat piling food.
Giant sized chocolate bars, giant sized pizza's with stuffed crusts ,BOGOF etc this is the problem not sugar.
If Jamie Oliver was slim and healthy I may listen but he's a overweight chef who serves hi fat content artery clogging food at his diners. He had the right idea with is attempt at changing school meals but this sugar tax is not going to stop obesity .

You want to stop obisty then stop stuffing you face full of food , - edited by mods -

I don't understand what the rant is about. How do you know sugar tax is not going to work? Making unhealthy, processed foods less cheap actually is a good start. If they use the proceeds to improve school meals, educate, and subsidise healthy food, then you can really make a difference.

ray j willings said:
Sugar is not bad. Put a few scopes in your water bottle before you go for a ride or a run.
Look at Thailand etc . Diets are high sugar , rice. fruit carb loaded diets .You don't see many fat people.
Look at France they eat Very rich lunches " high fats " and with wine, again a very slim race of people.
Its about excess, balance.
People are so hung up about foods and body image. It's put pressure on generation's of people who all feel they must have shiny white teeth that glow in the dark and 20 inch waist's and orange tans.
Kids look up to "stars /sporting hero's" Its just not realistic and for a lot of young men and women this leads to depression and they eat and the circle of despair begins. Life should not be about what you eat. Food should not control your life.
"super skinny" I don't like that term . My kids are healthy and lean which they should be for their age.
No young kid should be fat /tubby. IMO that amounts to child abuse. Parents need to get control of what they eat and their kids. You don't often see fat kids and slim parents.
I specifically wrote that sugar can still do damage to your body despite being thin, so I am not sure why you're still going on about "fat people".
1. There is a massive difference between natural sugars and refined sugars.
2. For what it's worth, South-East Asian countries are among the countries with the highest percentage of diabetics.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Jagartrott said:
ray j willings said:
This is the biggest load of BS. Fat mock cockney Jamie Oliver talking about obesity .
Both my sons eat sweets big bags of haribos and have sugar they also have the occasional junk food.
They are both skinny healthy chaps. Slim no fat, tiny waists just like they should have for their age 9 and 13.
I used to eat sweets and have 3 sugars in my tea when I was growing up I was not fat.
Sugar don't make you fat it gives you energy. Put some in your water bottle when you go for a ride ,try it.
Have a full can of coke when you have the last few K's to go on a long bike ride and all that sugar works just fine as it should and does. Look at country's where people eat lots of sugar, fruits, rice. Slim.
Look at us and our take away chemical food induced world, obese. Sugar is not the problem

My youngest son has a friend [ 9years old] who is fat. His family are fat. They just eat to much food.
They eat to much cr5p food as well. No Flipping way should a young child be fat.
If they are fat then they are eating crazy amounts of fat piling food.
Giant sized chocolate bars, giant sized pizza's with stuffed crusts ,BOGOF etc this is the problem not sugar.
If Jamie Oliver was slim and healthy I may listen but he's a overweight chef who serves hi fat content artery clogging food at his diners. He had the right idea with is attempt at changing school meals but this sugar tax is not going to stop obesity .

You want to stop obisty then stop stuffing you face full of food , - edited by mods -

I don't understand what the rant is about. How do you know sugar tax is not going to work? Making unhealthy, processed foods less cheap actually is a good start. If they use the proceeds to improve school meals, educate, and subsidise healthy food, then you can really make a difference.

Is taxing sugar going to stop people stuffing their fat faces?
Is it going to stop kids stuffing their fat faces full of sweets and take away food at school lunch time? Loads of kids don't eat school meals they go out for lunch. Our local chicken take away is packed with school kids at lunch time so is the pizza take away. Theres a west indian vegetarian take away a few yards away, they serve really tasty healthy food yet its empty.
Is "ST" it going to stop parents stuffing their face with take away foods and biscuits and sweets.
People are obese because they eat to much.
You may as well put a tax on your mums favourite poets shoes.
Tax will not stop peoples bad eating habits and the ones they pass onto children.
We are bombarded with endless tv shows etc trying to educate people on their eating habits, its turned into a multi million pound industry. A industry that makes money because people can't control what they put in their mouth.
We have food education coming out of our eyeballs on a daily basis.
Its not working and it has not worked and theres a lot of people making millions of pounds who don't want healthy people because their business would collapse.

Sugar tax is just another token gesture a waste of money and resources that IMO will only booster the profits of companys that thrive on creating so called diet foods.

The truth is people just don't care about their health until they are ill. They are addicted to all the cheap chemically enhanced junk food that's available to them and just don't have the will power to stop eating it.

http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/03/21/junk-food-big-part-obesity-diabetes-epidemic/

Ray j, of course junk food is an issue too. Does that make excess sugar intake less of an issue? I don't think so.
Is your argument that "fat people stuffing their faces with junk food" is a bigger issue than excessive sugar intake, or that sugar intake is not an issue at all and that it's just junk food that is increasing obesity numbers in the population?
In my opinion they should implement a tax on junk food too. McDonalds meals and even "ready-to-go" microwave meals. No, it won't stop everyone from buying the foods, but even if there is a drop of 1-2% that still amounts to thousands upon thousands of people. Use the profits of the junk food tax and the sugar tax to fund healthcare, projects for healthy eating and awareness campaigns.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
ray j willings said:

Dude, get. a. clue, will you? Like I and others have been trying to tell you, the problem is not about weight gain and self-control.

You've staked out this position that a sugar tax is a poor substitute for will power, and you're sticking to it. What we're trying to tell you is that the problem is A LOT WORSE than simple failure of will.

Too much natural sugar is bad for you. Too much refined sugar is really, really bad for you. And the worst refined "sugar" is high fructose corn syrup, which is terrible for you in even small amounts.

You'd have to eat more natural sugar than most people would want for it to profoundly affect your health. It requires a lot less refined sugars to damage your health.

The problem is that most foods today aren't made with natural sugar, or even with simple refined sugars. Most packaged foods and restaurant foods are made with high fructose corn syrup. This is a fairly new phenomenon, and it coincides with the diabetes epidemic, and the obesity epidemic, and all kinds of other epidemics.

If governments regulated high fructose corn syrup out of existence, the problems would disappear - poof - just like that. But they don't have the guts to do that, so they try to limit consumption by putting a tax on the consumer end. That won't solve the problem, IMO, but by restricting consumption will help at least a little bit.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Maxiton said:
ray j willings said:

Dude, get. a. clue, will you? Like I and others have been trying to tell you, the problem is not about weight gain and self-control.

You've staked out this position that a sugar tax is a poor substitute for will power, and you're sticking to it. What we're trying to tell you is that the problem is A LOT WORSE than simple failure of will.

Too much natural sugar is bad for you. Too much refined sugar is really, really bad for you. And the worst refined "sugar" is high fructose corn syrup, which is terrible for you in even small amounts.

You'd have to eat more natural sugar than most people would want for it to profoundly affect your health. It requires a lot less refined sugars to damage your health.

The problem is that most foods today aren't made with natural sugar, or even with simple refined sugars. Most packaged foods and restaurant foods are made with high fructose corn syrup. This is a fairly new phenomenon, and it coincides with the diabetes epidemic, and the obesity epidemic, and all kinds of other epidemics.

If governments regulated high fructose corn syrup out of existence, the problems would disappear - poof - just like that. But they don't have the guts to do that, so they try to limit consumption by putting a tax on the consumer end. That won't solve the problem, IMO, but by restricting consumption will help at least a little bit.

To much fat is bad for you to much grease is bad for you to much of anything can be bad for you. Everyday we are told that a food is bad for us then a week later we are told its good for us .
I never said we should all be eating sugar. Where have I said that.
I said sugar is not the problem its being made out to be. IMO the money and resources that will be used to implement this policy could be put to better use. You mention HFCS Sugar, so why don't the government do something about that just like you mentioned not only that but what about making other foods a bit healthier and not stuffed with MSG's. They should but money talks. Even if they did do that it would not stop the millions of over weight tubbys from eating endless junk food would it. That's the real issue that's where the resources and money should be going. My family is not fat. How come the family down the road are all fat,because they eat fat loaded junk food and lots of it. Taxing sugar will have no effect on the health and eating habits of that family.

The idea of the ST as Osbourne said himself ,is his own need to fight child obesity.
I understand the points made but you watch what happens when the tax comes in
It will have zero effect on obesity and all that money from the tax will end up being sent elsewhere.
That's the way governments work.
Its a token gesture.

Maxiton said:
ray j willings said:

Good post Maxiton

Anyone here see Fed Up? It's about sugar in foods, and a pretty effective documentary about how bad sugar is, and how much is added to our foods. It's also a completely biased view, bordering on propaganda. Robert Lustig is featured throughout, and anyone who watches it without paying close attention or doing their own research, could come away thinking something as healthy as papayas (93% carboyhdrates, 65% from sugar) are bad for you. Not that the movie says this.

Sure, excess sugar is bad. So is excess anything. Excess cheese is bad. Excess beer is bad. You could go on and on. Anyone who thinks you can eat a very high diet in processed sugars, and get little to no exercise, is a fool. But who is advocating that?

Besides, study after study is continuing to show that it isn't really sugar, be that pure sugar, or fructose, that's the primary cause of type-2 diabetes, it's intake of excess (there's that word again) animal protein. I first heard this watching Forks Over Knives, but there have been other studies since linking the two. The more meat, cheese and diary you consume, the more likely you are to get diabetes. Not the warning you heard about for years and years, is it?

This isn't to imply people should eat no animal products, and nothing but candy and drink soda. Again, no one would advocate that. But the entire high-protein, high-fat, ketogenic "diet" made big courtesy of Robert Atkins, basically clumped all carbohydrates as evil in most people's minds. As if eating a salad, or sweet potato, or orange, was the same as eating hard candy and drinking soft drinks. It's all "carbs".

What we really should tax then is animal products. And processed foods, really. Unlike Durianrider, I don't think you need to be a vegan. Though such a diet wouldn't hurt you. I don't eat hardly any meat ever, and not a lot of dairy. I don't even advocate you be a vegetarian to get the best diet. I think Michael Pollan said it very well in In Defense of Food, on a diet he followed, but wasn't even himself perfectly strict on: Eat food (as in actual food, not processed food), not too much, mostly plants.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/823769

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7z6-xnqazk

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

cellardoor said:
ray j willings said:

LaFlorecita said:
Linking to a durianrider video! Hilarious :D

Ray, cram down as many carbs as you can, cycle about 2 miles a week, put on a wig and you too can look like Freelee!

I couldn't eat that many bananas plus I don't need a wig I have the girly hair :D

You have to admit though, durian shoves that sugar into his body and he's healthy ,runs a sub 2.50
marathon. Can you or LaFlorecita ?
How comes he is not a diabetic? and the answer you give to that question proves my point about sugar does it not?

And to answer the point that obesity is on the rise in Asian countrys that his because they started opening 7/11 shops and introducing junk food. [do a google] They are now addicted just like the rest of the world,before that they were just fine .

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Anyone here see Fed Up? It's about sugar in foods, and a pretty effective documentary about how bad sugar is, and how much is added to our foods. It's also a completely biased view, bordering on propaganda. Robert Lustig is featured throughout, and anyone who watches it without paying close attention or doing their own research, could come away thinking something as healthy as papayas (93% carboyhdrates, 65% from sugar) are bad for you. Not that the movie says this.

Sure, excess sugar is bad. So is excess anything. Excess cheese is bad. Excess beer is bad. You could go on and on. Anyone who thinks you can eat a very high diet in processed sugars, and get little to no exercise, is a fool. But who is advocating that?

Besides, study after study is continuing to show that it isn't really sugar, be that pure sugar, or fructose, that's the primary cause of type-2 diabetes, it's intake of excess (there's that word again) animal protein. I first heard this watching Forks Over Knives, but there have been other studies since linking the two. The more meat, cheese and diary you consume, the more likely you are to get diabetes. Not the warning you heard about for years and years, is it?

This isn't to imply people should eat no animal products, and nothing but candy and drink soda. Again, no one would advocate that. But the entire high-protein, high-fat, ketogenic "diet" made big courtesy of Robert Atkins, basically clumped all carbohydrates as evil in most people's minds. As if eating a salad, or sweet potato, or orange, was the same as eating hard candy and drinking soft drinks. It's all "carbs".

What we really should tax then is animal products. And processed foods, really. Unlike Durianrider, I don't think you need to be a vegan. Though such a diet wouldn't hurt you. I don't eat hardly any meat ever, and not a lot of dairy. I don't even advocate you be a vegetarian to get the best diet. I think Michael Pollan said it very well in In Defense of Food, on a diet he followed, but wasn't even himself perfectly strict on: Eat food (as in actual food, not processed food), not too much, mostly plants.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/823769

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7z6-xnqazk

Great post. Well said.

ray j willings said:
cellardoor said:
ray j willings said:

LaFlorecita said:

Ray, cram down as many carbs as you can, cycle about 2 miles a week, put on a wig and you too can look like Freelee!

I couldn't eat that many bananas plus I don't need a wig I have the girly hair :D

You have to admit though, durian shoves that sugar into his body and he's healthy ,runs a sub 2.50
How comes he is not a diabetic? and the answer you give to that question proves my point about sugar does it not?

And to answer the point that obesity is on the rise in Asian countrys that his because they started opening 7/11 shops and introducing junk food. [do a google] They are now addicted just like the rest of the world,before that they were just fine .

No, I can't run a sub 2.50 marathon and I don't dispute that durianrider is healthy and he eats a lot of sugar. However, I have been trying to make the point that it's processed sugar that is the issue, rather than eating sugar in the packaged deal that is fruit.

Also, durianrider is following the raw til 4 diet, i.e. raw vegan for breakfast and lunch and ordinary vegan for dinner. If the whole world started following that diet I have no doubt that it would have a big positive impact on obesity, even if there would be a small percentage that would still overeat and get obese on the diet. The thing is that you can't just take one element of his diet, plug it into a normal diet and expect it to work. So, you can't eat a Big Mac for breakfast, lunch and dinner and then say it's ok to drink a litre of Coke because durainrider said to carb the frak up.

In terms of Thailand, Thai's have always eaten a lot of white rice and fruit which are high in sugar. However, you do have to bear in mind that the majority of Thai's are working in 30-39 degree heat and 80% humidity with little to no shade for 10 hours a day. They don't do it in a short and T-shirt either, but wear jeans, long-sleeved shirts and and cover their faces to things to protect themselves from the sun. In other words, the average Thai probably sweats enough to fill a bath in the average day. Again, you can't just take one element of Thai life and try to plug it into a sedentary UK/US lifestyle and necessarily expect it to work. But also we are talking about natural sugar again which I have not really been saying is an issue.

ray j willings said:
cellardoor said:
ray j willings said:

LaFlorecita said:

How comes he is not a diabetic YET? and the answer you give to that question proves my point about sugar does it not?

I took the liberty of making your question more pertinent.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

cellardoor said:
ray j willings said:
cellardoor said:
ray j willings said:

LaFlorecita said:

No, I can't run a sub 2.50 marathon and I don't dispute that durianrider is healthy and he eats a lot of sugar. However, I have been trying to make the point that it's processed sugar that is the issue, rather than eating sugar in the packaged deal that is fruit.

Also, durianrider is following the raw til 4 diet, i.e. raw vegan for breakfast and lunch and ordinary vegan for dinner. If the whole world started following that diet I have no doubt that it would have a big positive impact on obesity, even if there would be a small percentage that would still overeat and get obese on the diet. The thing is that you can't just take one element of his diet, plug it into a normal diet and expect it to work. So, you can't eat a Big Mac for breakfast, lunch and dinner and then say it's ok to drink a litre of Coke because durainrider said to carb the frak up.

In terms of Thailand, Thai's have always eaten a lot of white rice and fruit which are high in sugar. However, you do have to bear in mind that the majority of Thai's are working in 30-39 degree heat and 80% humidity with little to no shade for 10 hours a day. They don't do it in a short and T-shirt either, but wear jeans, long-sleeved shirts and and cover their faces to things to protect themselves from the sun. In other words, the average Thai probably sweats enough to fill a bath in the average day. Again, you can't just take one element of Thai life and try to plug it into a sedentary UK/US lifestyle and necessarily expect it to work. But also we are talking about natural sugar again which I have not really been saying is an issue.

"The thing is that "YOU" can't just take one element of his diet, plug it into a normal diet and expect it to work. So, you can't eat a Big Mac for breakfast, lunch and dinner and then say it's ok to drink a litre of Coke because durainrider said to carb the frak up."

I have never said that. please don't make assumption.

All I have said and I used DR to prove my point is that sugar [natural]
is not the issue its made out to be.

Again, "YOU" can't just take one element of Thai life and try to plug it into a sedentary UK/US lifestyle and necessarily expect it to work. But also we are talking about natural sugar again which I have not really been saying is an issue

And once again I never said the above. I clearly pointed out that the Thailands obesity problem is due to the introduction of junk foods into their society, Its made a impact.
So clearly its not sugar [natural] that's the problem but the junk food etc. Which exactly proves my point.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Is "sweets big bags of haribos" (from opening post) natural sugar?

No one is arguing fruits etc are bad.

I'm not arguing that fruits are bad either.
My kids are healthy and slim because they don't eat endless amounts of junk food.
One bag of sweets is not a issue natural or not. Its one bag. I don't make food a issue for my kids. Simple.

ray j willings said:
LaFlorecita said:
Is "sweets big bags of haribos" (from opening post) natural sugar?

No one is arguing fruits etc are bad.

I'm not arguing that fruits are bad either.
My kids are healthy and slim because they don't eat endless amounts of junk food.
One bag of sweets is not a issue natural or not. Its one bag. I don't make food a issue for my kids. Simple.

When I said "you" I probably should have said "one", but I don't really want to talk as if I'm the Queen all the time.

I think we all agree that junk food is the problem, but "junk" is not a nutrient. Junk food contains lots of sugar, salt and fat. Salt is a problem, but that's a discussion for another day. The thing about fat is that we have been reducing our consumption of trans fats and saturated fats while obesity seems to be getting worse. So we're back to sugar, in it's refined form - often HFCS.

I don't know if you've seen the film "King Corn", but basically corn by-products make their way into everything these days. I believe that in the US, heavy subsidies are available to corn farmers and that after animal feed the majority of that corn goes into HFCS and similar. In my opinion it would be reasonable for the UK Government to impose an import duty on HFCS and products containing HFCS such that the subsidy given by the US Government is negated, thereby meaning the HFCS would be entering the market at the true price that it costs to grow corn. I don't really believe in "sin taxes", but I also don't think it's right that stuff that's bad for us is subsidised.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Skinny people can develop type 2 diabetes too. You and your kids may be super skinny but who knows what kind of damage the sugar is doing on the inside.

I certainly agree with you though I’m clueless in medecine.

However what about the risk of cancer, Fleur? I read several articles about the potientally cancerous stem cell reproduction because of calorific content. Cut your calory consumption and you increase your chance of ever avoiding cancer.

I was a heavy drinker of Ice Tea for years (not proud of). By August 2013 (convinced by a Muslim theologian!) I decided all of a sudden to quit. Not because of health issue. I realized that €1.60 for 1.5l of Ice Tea (in a plastic bottle) was too expensive compared to €0.34 for 1l of sparkling water (in a glass bottle). No I even rarely buy any bottle of water since I realized I could as well drink it from the tap. Why wasting your money on such sh*t? You got to be pretty stupid. Coke is for the rich. But after 3 months of quitting drinking Ice Tea, I lost 10kg! (while never changing anything else in my diet). I wasn’t even that fat (103.5kg for 200cm). I lost another 10kg by the end of 2014 when I decided to cut my meat consumption. And now that we are in the Lent period I’m 81kg. Skinnier than Alessandro Ballan!

As a teen I was very gluttonous (not proud of either, but I guess a tall kid needed more energy than the average people). Yet I always avoided such craps like Haribo sweats and hated junk food. From aged 13 on I decided to quit drinking Coke (only drank 33cl in almost 20 years). Unfortunately I drank a related drink but still nothing is more sugared than Coke. Despite all this, I was already very thin (at age 24 I was just 87kg). So I guess gluttony is not the whole problem either.

Denying the effect of sugar on obesity is being blinkered in my opinion. There’s a strong correlation between the appearance of aspartame and other sweeteners on the market and the sudden rise in obesity rate in the US (in the eighties). In the seventies, the obesity rate in the US fell within the norm. People were not any less gluttonous then than now.

Anyway if there’s such a thing as a sugar tax in my country, I won’t complaint. It’s a bit like the cig tax or soda tax or whatever. If the state needs money to pay the bankers, rather they take your money than mine. We are in a period of survivalism now and I cannot afford the luxury of compassion for people who make such mistakes.

Besides, on a political level, Coca-Cola company is/has been one of the main backers of the Transatlantic Partnership Network, a lobby group at the EU that has promoted the Transatlantic Partnership for over 25 years. So if you drink Coke and then tell me that you oppose the Transatlantic Trade & Investment Partnership, you are a hypocrite!

No Sugar Tonight – The Guess Who

Yes Echoes, sugar and overeating in general have been linked to cancer many times, but I don't know the full mechanisms behind it.
Ray jay, this presumption that as long as you don't eat junk food, you are healthy and will stay slim, is just silly.
From the way you wrote it, it sounded like your kids stuff their faces with haribo and you have no issue with that. "My kids eat sweets big bags of haribos"

When I was 10 I got 1 chupa chups lollipop when I got out of school and that was it :rolleyes:

here are some interesting facts: http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.pt/2015/11/carbohydrate-sugar-and-obesity-in.html

sneak peak:
Carbs%2Bvs.%2Bobesity.jpg

Carbs%2Bvs.%2Bobesity%2B%2528sugar%2529.jpg

people are obese because they consume more calories then they spend. it's very simple.

regarding the links between sugar and cancer, one should be very carefull when looking into these studies. correlation doesn't equal causation (http://tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations)

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Yes Echoes, sugar and overeating in general have been linked to cancer many times, but I don't know the full mechanisms behind it.
Ray jay, this presumption that as long as you don't eat junk food, you are healthy and will stay slim, is just silly.
From the way you wrote it, it sounded like your kids stuff their faces with haribo and you have no issue with that. "My kids eat sweets big bags of haribos"

When I was 10 I got 1 chupa chups lollipop when I got out of school and that was it :rolleyes:

Can you please stop making assumptions. My kids eat sweets, my kids eat junk food sometimes a pizza or a burgar etc its not going to hurt them.
They do not eat to excess and they eat plenty of fruit and veg.
I don't deny my kids food , I don't make food a issue. They eat a well balanced diet.
Obesity Is not something I even think about when it comes to my kids because its not a issue for us.
Its a issue for all those parents who cant stop stuffing their fat faces and the fat faces of their kids.

I guess it is no use arguing with you.

Edit: what I will say, though, is that I've struggled with my weight since puberty, and the only junk food I eat is a small pizza once every month or two. Every time you write that the only people who can get overweight are the ones "stuffing their fat faces with junk food", it f*cking offends me and makes me sad because you could not be more wrong. Clearly you've been watching too many videos of that insensitive douchebag called durianrider.

TRENDING THREADS