• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Suggestions on new bibs?

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
It's time for me to replace my old generic bibs. They've lasted several years but are really showing their age, and besides some seams I've repaired myself the chamois's are getting worn out. Everyone always says, "get good shorts, you won't regret it", but which are the "good" shorts? I want quality but I need to replace several older pairs so getting the super expensive ones isn't the best option. I've had one pair with a gel chamois and have to say I'm not a fan of them and will stay away from them in the future. So does anyone have any suggestions on which brands/models to try out and which ones to avoid?

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
i've always been a fan of pearl izumi. some of the top end stuff is v expensive, but i've always found the lower end kit well-cut and very comfortable too

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
Second vote for Sugoi. I own a few pairs from two models, the standard Evolutions aren't too expensive and last a long time, and the high-end RS's which are amazing in hot weather but seem a little fragile (road use only). But in either style the chamois are to die for and the quality is awesome. Just remember every company seems to have their own take on size Sugoi seem to size bigger in the waist than Santini but have quite short legs.

The Cinettica range are looking pretty kickarse for 2010, should be in shops in the next couple of months.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Assos if budget is not an issue but since it is I'd suggest;

Santini - My Liquigas kit is still immaculate after 5 years.

Id personally stay clear of Nalini, Vermarc and Craft. I've found Nalini to be the worst of all the lycra I've tried. It's bare in the chamois section and the single elastic on the leggings loses its elasticity after a few stretches. Other brands seem to have a double or panel patterned elastic which has much better longevity. Vermarc and Craft have prematurely unstitched for various reasons. I wouldnt recommend their build quality.

I'd definitely have a look at Castelli and Pearl as suggested by others. The CSC and Garmin kits look great in the flesh. A mate turned up with the full team Cervelo kit the other day and looked stunning.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I know you are not looking for expensive bibs, but this is one area where I do not like to compromise because the comfort of a good pair of bibs just makes the ride so much more enjoyable. For expensive bibs, my favourites are Assos, Giordana and 2XU. I haven't researched less expensive options, but one thing I do not like about the Pearl Izumi gear is that the chamois tends to be quite thick and I personally find this uncomfortable, something akin to the gel chamois that you didn't like.

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
I would have to say Pearl Izumi as well. I raced for 20+ years... I've rode with most, and I have to say the PI's are the most comfortable, they don't ride up or bunch up... and their durablility is great. I have two that I rotate through and they are 5+ years old... and no sign of wear... I ride a couple of times a week.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Mogoose said:
I would have to say Pearl Izumi as well. I raced for 20+ years... I've rode with most, and I have to say the PI's are the most comfortable, they don't ride up or bunch up... and their durablility is great. I have two that I rotate through and they are 5+ years old... and no sign of wear... I ride a couple of times a week.

better get myself a set on my next purchase.

i have some buget shorts that i use for commuting, they do they job for my 25km ride, but are hopeless on anything longer. i've also got a couple of pairs of nalini's that i use for 100km+ rides

I have used Pearl Izumi and also tried Specialized. The PI Slice is about $125 and seems to fit the same as the Pro at $155. Been using both all summer and they have stood up well riding 4 times a week. I do not own any specialized, but they have a couple bibs that are priced similarly to the PI and come with either thick or thin chamois depending on the model.

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
hallo!i am new in this forum and generally new in the world of bikes!i want to buy a good one so as to go to the mountain for races and not only for that.can anyone tell me what should i buy?i could really use any help here!:confused:thanks!

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
I got a pair of Nalini off Pro Bike Kit a while back for about $35 USD. They are pretty nice, I like them better than the Pearl Izumi shorts that I had been wearing, but I can't say anything about longevity. They do make my back a bit hot riding in the tropics.

A

Anonymous

Support Small Business

I've been wearing Boure bibs for the last 10k miles and they work for me. 100% satisfaction guaranteed, made by a small Colorado company, owned and run by real people, good quality, good prices. Check it out.
http://www.boure.com/index.html

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
Performance

Maybe I'm a freak but I really like my Performance Ultras (and Elites). I have had shorts by other manufacturers and I like these as well as any. I would really hate to crash in some high-end Assos bibs the first time out! :D Chamois cream helps too. Performance's is pretty good. Hammer's is good too.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
My vote also goes with Assos. A friend ones told me, when I was thinking about buying a 2 different backpacks, "You most likely wont miss that $100 (the difference between the two bags) but you might really regret not getting the better pack. Assos are the bibs I go to every time.

My suggestion is buy one of the cheaper ones and buy a set of Assos for your self for a Christmas present, treat yourself.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone had any experience with the Cannondale line of cycling apparel, and specifically their bib shorts? They seem fairly reasonably priced and if the quality of the clothing approaches the quality of their bikes, I'd be interested in trying them. Has anyone worn them?

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Steampunk said:
Has anyone had any experience with the Cannondale line of cycling apparel, and specifically their bib shorts? They seem fairly reasonably priced and if the quality of the clothing approaches the quality of their bikes, I'd be interested in trying them. Has anyone worn them?

My wife has 2 pair of their shorts, one from 2008 that she loves (nice fit, good seat, etc) and one from this year that she hates (same size, but missing leg grippers, so they ride up on her). I would say look at them before you buy. Cannondale did once make the best gloves ever made (heavy leather with hand crocheted backs) I still have a 20 year old pair that I reserve for very long rides. I'd probably pay $100 to be able to get a new pair of those.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
TheDude said:
My wife has 2 pair of their shorts, one from 2008 that she loves (nice fit, good seat, etc) and one from this year that she hates (same size, but missing leg grippers, so they ride up on her). I would say look at them before you buy. Cannondale did once make the best gloves ever made (heavy leather with hand crocheted backs) I still have a 20 year old pair that I reserve for very long rides. I'd probably pay $100 to be able to get a new pair of those.

Thanks for the feedback. I wonder if the missing leg grippers are consistent with all the Cannondale shorts or just the lower end ones. They do seem to have a range of prices without many discernible differences. I also wonder if the newer gloves hold up as well as the old ones.