• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Summary Reactions Armstrong Ban

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 23, 2010
Visit site
http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswe...singer-still-believes-in-lance-armstrong.html

This is one of the more visible pieces of the Armstrong propaganda machine. How they persuaded Newsweek to put this on their September 3 issue cover is an interesting question. This looks even dumber than Phil Liggett's video where he's going out on a lim for his buddy - and damaging his own reputation in the process. Here a respected publication is willing to risk alienating their own customers (and paid subscribers) by giving cover space for an Armstrong mouthpiece.

Just sent the following note to the Editor of Newsweek magazine:

+++++++++

Dear editor,

I have been a paid subscriber to Newsweek for more than 6 years. I used to like your balanced writing into world and domestic affairs – great background reading.

After reading the September 3 issue cover story about Lance Armstrong, I’m writing to you to request that you cancel my subscription and stop delivery to me immediately. Yes, I have half-a-year left on my paid subscription, but I no longer wish to read such grossly biased stories – or even see the magazine.

By allowing your magazine to be a mouthpiece for a corrupt doper whose 7 Tour de France victories were just taken away for cheating by the official anti-doping agency for the USA, you’ve allowed your publication to become part of the same conspiracy that USADA is accusing Armstrong of. There probably was some sort of background influence-pedaling, or ad purchasing on the background that persuaded you to publish such a rubbish piece of one-sided journalism?

But It has been printed and your magazine has been tainted permanently. I no longer wish to have any part of it. Please confirm that delivery of your magazine will be stopped.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
hiero2 said:
Imo Assange is an idiot, a jerk, and a complete doofus. AFAIC, 99% of what wikileaks has leaked has been absolutely worthless, and has done more to hurt the cause of transparency than help it. HOWEVER, having said that, there are times I wished it DID work, and this is one of them.

Yeah, 99%of it is worthless. That's why Assange is holed up in an Ecuadorian embassy despite having never been charged with a crime. :rolleyes:

Back to Armstrong: make no mistake, much of what passes for journalism is really marketing in one form or another. All those companies lined up behind Armstrong? Their marketing machines and connections, many of them, run deep. And they're at his disposal.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Kessiakoff:
*Haven't really decided what to think [unclear if this is about the titles or actual guilt]
*Effective deterrent to doping - good that deeds will not go unpunished in the long run
*Will take time for cyclists to open up - Larsson is a "new generation" [of cyclists] and it is great that he states his opinions openly

Kessiakoff on Eurosport

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Nicolas Roche

hiero2 said:
I've put a message to the Irish Independent to verify that this did appear in that Saturday print edition. We will see what they respond with. I've asked for a copy of the article.

pmcg76 said:
A section from Nicolas Roches' Irish Independent column on Saturday last.

"I'm no expert but there seems to be more and more stuff coming out now, from former team-mates' confessions to accusations of the UCI taking cheques and covering up stuff for years. Maybe I'm being naive but I really hope thats not true.

Hopefully the commitment USADA have shown in chasing the sports biggest star and eventually bringing him down will discourage riders of my generation from even contemplating doping and I hope they will continue to chase the people I am racing against now.

If the outcome discourages others from doping, its a good thing."

I have to give kudos to Roche, this is what I would have expected from most pros. No need to put the boot into Armstrong but at least recognise the process and the the possible plus side of this investigation and the hope that anti-doping authorities will continue to be vigilant in their war against the cheats.

We now have a source. Independent's reply: "Independent.ie wrote: "Hi, technical issues meant this didn't go online at the time. You can now find it here: "http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/nicolas-roche-if-this-outcome-discourages-other-riders-from-doping-then-its-a-good-thing-3209660.html

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
hiero2 said:
Nicolas Roche

We now have a source. Independent's reply: "Independent.ie wrote: "Hi, technical issues meant this didn't go online at the time. You can now find it here: "http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/nicolas-roche-if-this-outcome-discourages-other-riders-from-doping-then-its-a-good-thing-3209660.html

Love your work.

I realise I am one of the cynics, but I find the wording telling:
If this outcome discourages other riders from doping then it's a good thing.

ie it's not a fait accompli. It will be a battle victory, but the war is far from over.

Lots of work left to do.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Oleg Tinkov: Hamilton is a drunk

http://www.sporten.dk/cykling/riis-sponsor-hamilton-er-alkoholiker

Storsponsor Oleg Tinkov støtter Bjarne Riis og raser mod Hamiltons anklager.

Imens Bjarne Riis er fuldstændig tavs omkring Tyler Hamiltons anklager, så er sponsoren Oleg Tinkov helt anderledes åben.

Han er faktisk rasende overfor beskyldningerne. Ejeren af Tinkoff Bank, som før Tour de France valgte at blive storsponsor for Bjarne Riis’ cykelhold, har allerede udtryk sin fulde støtte til Riis efter de første anklager om organiseret doping på Team CSC fandt vej til pressen. Fredag var Oleg Tinkov på besøg i Spanien, hvor han sad i Bjarne Riis’ bil under hele 19. etape.

Efter etapen mødte sporten.dk ham ved holdets hotel i La Lastrilla. Her bad vi om en reaktion på Hamiltons anklager mod Bjarne Riis. Oleg lod hurtigt forstå, at han står ved sin støtte til Riis, og så har han ellers intet til overs for Hamilton.

Læs også: Hamburger: Forsvar dig, Riis!

- Hvorfor vil du læse den bog? Hvad får dig til at læse det her? For mig er det dumt, at I overhovedet gider at læse, at en eller anden idiot skriver noget bull****. Hvorfor læser I det?, spurgte Oleg Tinkov uden at efterlade tvivl om, hvad han mener om Tyler Hamilton og hans bog.

Oleg Tinkov er selv involveret i Tyler Hamiltons anklager, da Hamilton i et interview efter sin udgivelse af ’The Secret Race’ retter hårde anklager mod Oleg Tinkov, som var holdejer for Tinkoff Credit Systems, hvor Hamilton kørte i 2007. Oleg Tinkov skulle helt åbent have accepteret doping til sine ryttere, da han foran hele holdet sagde følgende:

- Jeg er ligeglad med, hvad I gør, bare I ikke bliver taget, skulle Tinkov have sagt ifølge Hamilton. Oleg Tinkov kan da også godt huske Hamilton fra deres fælles tid i 2007, hvor Hamilton var kommet tilbage efter dopingkarantæne.

- Jeg kan godt huske den her fyr, for han var på mit hold i kort tid. Han er lidt underlig. Jeg kan forstå, at han har problemer med alkoholisme. Jeg er ligeglad med, hvad han skriver om Bjarne. Han er en skør mand, som vil tjene penge på at skrive den her bog, og jeg gider ikke engang læse den, sagde Tinkov foran holdets hotel. På spørgsmålet om beskyldningerne i bogen vil få nogen indflydelse for holdet eller ham selv, er svaret lige så klart.

- For mig? Nej. Hvis nogen går hen og skriver noget på en mur et eller andet sted, så ville jeg heller ikke interessere mig for det. Hvorfor skulle jeg interessere mig? Hvem er Hamilton? Han er en eller anden ex-ex-rytter, som skriver et eller andet for at sælge en bog. Det får ingen indflydelse, svarede storsponseren. - Min kommentar er, at hvis man læser den her bog, så værdsætter man ikke sin tid, ****tede Tinkov inden han gik ind mod hotellet.

I translated, no copyright infringement intended, I just don't trust google translate.

Major sponsor Oleg Tinkov supports Bjarne Riis and rages against the accusations of Hamilton.

While Bjarne Riis is completely silent regarding Tyler Hamilton's accusations, the sponsor Oleg Tinkov is quite open.

Actually he is outraged over the accusations. The owner of Tinkoff Bank, which chose to be a major sponsor of Bjarne Riis' cycling team before the Tour de France, has already expressed his full support to Riis after the first accusations of organized doping on Team CSC found their way to the press. Friday Oleg Tinkov was visiting Spain, where he sat in Bjarne Riis' car during the whole of stage 19.

After the stage sporten.dk met him at the team hotel in La Lastrilla. Here we asked him for a reaction on Hamilton's accusations against Bjarne Riis. Oleg immediately let it be known that he stands by his support of Riis and that he has no time for Hamilton.

-Why do you want to read that book? What makes you read this? To me it is stupid that you even bother to read or that some idiot writes some bull****. Why do you read it?, Oleg Tinkov asked leaving no doubt about his opinion on Tyler Hamilton and his book.

Oleg Tinkov is involved in Tyler Hamiltons accusations himself since Hamilton in an intervies after publishing 'The Secret Race' aims severe accusations against Oleg Tinkov who was the team owner of Tinkoff Credit Systems on which Hamilton raced in 2007. Allegedly Oleg Tinkov openly accepted his riders doping as he in front of the whole team said the following:

-I don't care what you do as long as you don't get caught, Tinkov is to have said according to Hamilton. Oleg Tinkov indeed remembers Hamilton from their time together in 2007 when Hamilton had come back from a doping ban.

-I remember this here guy because he was on my team for a short while. He is a bit strange. I understand that he has problems with alcoholism. I don't care what he writes about Bjarne. He is a crazy man who wants to make money on writing this here book and I won't even bother to read it, Tinkov said in front of the team hotel. Asked if the accusations in the book will have any influence on the team or himself the answer is equally clear.

-On me? No. If somebody goes and writes something on a wall somewhere I wouldn't concern myself with that either. Why would I concern myself? Who is Hamilton? He is some ex-ex-rider who writes something to sell a book. It won't affect anything, the major sponsor said. -My comment is that if you read this book you don't value your time, Tinkov finished before he walked against the hotel.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
tinkoff's reaction is of course very predictable. a businessman is protecting his investment.

but there is another side to him not very well known. he is cold to bruyneel (a rumour i heard he called bru an 'old guard' ds implying doping) whilst adoring armstrong and injecting life in another 'old guard' ds riis.

tinkoff is a hypocrite of the highest order.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Steffen Kjaergaard needs shooting (edit: and adding to the opening post list with the biggest fùck off minuses known to mankind)

"I have never had a reason to think was using PEDs. And I actually don't think I see it any differently now" :mad:

this after Armstrong gave in.

Fúck's sake.

This is the head of the Norwegian cycling union's national teams we're talking about. The one supposed to be advising Hushovd (surely doped) and Boasson Hagen (fùck knows but he is so quiet about everything and anything it's well dodgy)

another gem from Kjaergaard is this line

"I only know the case through Norwegian media" :rolleyes:

That statement is just crazy. :eek: :eek:
So your former teammate and team leader is under heavy suspicion, which also puts a doubt over your own head in the minds of people and you just don't really bother following the case much?

Not to mention the fact that as I prev said, he's the national team's DS, and yet the sport of cycling doesn't interest him more than reading Norwegian newspapers for updates?

An embarrassment of the highest order for Norwegian cycling and he puts every good and half decent Norwegian cyclist under suspicion. A class A muppet.

Link (any sane person should be using Chrome so the translation should pop up on its own):

http://www.tv2.no/sport/sykkel/stef...ortsatt-ikke-armstrong-var-dopet-3859294.html

workingclasshero said:
Steffen Kjaergaard needs shooting (edit: and adding to the opening post list with the biggest fùck off minuses known to mankind)

"I have never had a reason to think was using PEDs. And I actually don't think I see it any differently now" :mad:

Fúck's sake.

This is the head of the Norwegian cycling union's national teams we're talking about. The one supposed to be advising Hushovd (surely doped) and Boasson Hagen (fùck knows but he is so quiet about everything and anything it's well dodgy)

"I only know the case through Norwegian media" :rolleyes:

That statement is just crazy. :eek: :eek:
So your former teammate and team leader is under heavy suspicion, which also puts a doubt over your own head in the minds of people and you just don't really bother following the case much?

Not to mention the fact that as I prev said, he's the national team's DS, and yet the sport of cycling doesn't interest him more than reading Norwegian newspapers for updates?

An embarrassment of the highest order for Norwegian cycling and he puts every good and half decent Norwegian cyclist under suspicion. A class A muppet.

Link (any sane person should be using Chrome so the translation should pop up on its own):

http://www.tv2.no/sport/sykkel/stef...ortsatt-ikke-armstrong-var-dopet-3859294.html

Hushovd was given an offer by US Postal after he won the U23 TT, but rejected them because he thought they were dirty, went to C-A instead.

Who knows what he decided after but he started clean I guess.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
mb2612 said:
Hushovd was given an offer by US Postal after he won the U23 TT, but rejected them because he thought they were dirty, went to C-A instead.

Who knows what he decided after but he started clean I guess.

bring on el quotos please mate

edit: that's spanish for "do you have a link to the quotes please?"

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
i'm rather confused, it seems my post has been deleted. I've got it to hand here though now with asterisks. Someone also replied to my post to which i then replied again but I can't remember what it said. It is gone as well now.

Anyway, my post on Steffen Kjaergaard, former US Postal cyclist, raced two tours with Lance:

Steffen Kjaergaard needs shooting (edit: and adding to the opening post list with the biggest f*** off minuses known to mankind)

"I have never had a reason to think Lance was using PEDs. And I actually don't think I see it any differently now"

F***'s sake.

This is the head of the Norwegian cycling union's national teams we're talking about. The one supposed to be advising Hushovd (surely doped) and Boasson Hagen (f*** knows but he is so quiet about everything and anything it's well dodgy)

"I only know the case through Norwegian media"

That statement is just crazy.

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
workingclasshero said:
i'm rather confused, it seems my post has been deleted.

No, I am not a mod, but can guess.

You used foreign characters to deliberately get around CN's swear word filter. I found it slightly offensive moreso because most people here let the ****s rule - and your post seemed to imply you are above all that.

The info is great. The delivery needs work ;-)

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
the big ring said:
No, I am not a mod, but can guess.

You used foreign characters to deliberately get around CN's swear word filter. I found it slightly offensive moreso because most people here let the ****s rule - and your post seemed to imply you are above all that.

The info is great. The delivery needs work ;-)

well I put it back up with the ***** in, I just felt (still do tbh) my language worked better with spelling words out properly. What's the difference, it's not like it's too ****** difficult to ******* understand what the **** **** **** **** I am well ****** trying to ************ say you **** ****** ***** ***********.

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
workingclasshero said:
well I put it back up with the ***** in, I just felt (still do tbh) my language worked better with spelling words out properly. What's the difference, it's not like it's too ****** difficult to ******* understand what the **** **** **** **** I am well ****** trying to ************ say you **** ****** ***** ***********.

Yes yes but just like Lance signed an agreement with USADA subject to their rules, you also made an agreement with CN, where you agreed to not circumvent their swear word filter.

By rights you should be banninated. Deleting your post is most lenient. :D

ETA: USually (Susan) modifies the post to remove the swear words. But I am guessing the liberal sprinkling you had, made this too onerous and she or someone with a similar power blew it away instead.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
the big ring said:
Yes yes but just like Lance signed an agreement with USADA subject to their rules, you also made an agreement with CN, where you agreed to not circumvent their swear word filter.

By rights you should be banninated. Deleting your post is most lenient. :D

oh I guess I didn't read the small print :cool:

I have been known to be banned in the past for colourful language even though back then it didn't even contain any swear words so the filter didn't pick up any of it :(

anyhoo, I've now ****** righted my wrong *** by **** putting the ********** stars in all over the place. ********** *** **** *** ****************

oh and people of CN, despite a couple of off topic posts exchanged with the big ring, please read my post on Kjaergaard, he really is a tool.

Tubeless said:
This is one of the more visible pieces of the Armstrong propaganda machine. How they persuaded Newsweek to put this on their September 3 issue cover is an interesting question. This looks even dumber than Phil Liggett's video where he's going out on a lim for his buddy - and damaging his own reputation in the process. Here a respected publication is willing to risk alienating their own customers (and paid subscribers) by giving cover space for an Armstrong mouthpiece.
I wonder what does Newsweek think about now by allowing this ignorant writer, Buzz Bissinger to do that piece?v:rolleyes:

Buzz Bissinger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCVaZpQZiSY

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswe...singer-still-believes-in-lance-armstrong.html (watch video)
"He's going to be stripped of his 7 medals" :D

@buzzbissinger (oct.10)
"I am done for today. Too many fcking morons out there who don't know sht. Boring...."

TRENDING THREADS