• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sunblock

I used to only put sunblock on my face and neck. These days I am a lot more paranoid and also use it on my arms and legs. So how much sunblock do the pros go through in a season? Although some pros do not look like they use much sunblock...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I use SPF 40 or greater year round, but I'm in a sunny climate so its needed. Of course I always go through a day or two where I forget especially when the change over from cold-ish to hot come by and I'm caught without it and get a sunburn :(.

Concentrate it on the face/head (some dome showing through :D) and arms. The legs only in the summer.

I do hate the new style higher than normal socks as it moves the sock tan line too far up and makes it too noticeble, oh well...

Oh, the Pro's, I'm sure they go through it by the bucket full or should. Well I'm sure some do not and will pay the price later :confused:

I currently use four different kinds. Usually clear zinc Ocean Potion for my face. Bullfrog Gel for my arms. Cheap cream for my legs. And some hellaciouisly high SPF Bullfrog Superblock for my neck.

Looking at photos of some pros after they retire, some of them should have used a lot more during their career. They look ten years older than they should.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I currently use four different kinds. Usually clear zinc Ocean Potion for my face. Bullfrog Gel for my arms. Cheap cream for my legs. And some hellaciouisly high SPF Bullfrog Superblock for my neck.

Looking at photos of some pros after they retire, some of them should have used a lot more during their career. They look ten years older than they should.

Your variety sounds alot like mine, but I'll have to try the Clear Zinc Ocean Potion. I've neglected the neck now that you mention it but I rarely see it so don't know how its doing :confused:, well not burned from the feel of it!

I have noticed that with the new style jersey's which are super thin for quick moisture removal, I now have a bib short faint tan underneath... now I gotta sun block skin that's under the clothing! :eek: Arg... it never ends!

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm, winter coming here in Melbourne, Australia - would love some sun right now.

I usually find my neck gets burnt worse than anywhere so I smother that with my best sunblock.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Neck, ears, face, but not the forehead (stings the eyes when it runs down with sweat). Needs to be sweat proof, SPF30 or greater (greater cannot be advertised in Australia), and cover both UVA and UVB rays. I use the same sunblock on my arms and occasionally my legs. I was caught out this weekend in 19C weather because I forgot to put sunblock on my arms. Another thing, because the vents on my helmet are huge and, unfortunately, I am getting thinner on top, I also wear a skull cap to protect the noggin.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Maybe some of the fairer skinned riders from Northern Europe and Australia use it? But I think it's a cultural thing, especially since most block in the past was useless, when sweating it would simply run away.

I haven't met a full time rider who uses it. A pro starts the season with tan lines already and the length of the season means they build up gradual tan and so more protection. As the season wears on, they even get a tanned chest and back as the jersey lets through a bit of light.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Stani Kléber said:
Maybe some of the fairer skinned riders from Northern Europe and Australia use it? But I think it's a cultural thing, especially since most block in the past was useless, when sweating it would simply run away.

I haven't met a full time rider who uses it. A pro starts the season with tan lines already and the length of the season means they build up gradual tan and so more protection. As the season wears on, they even get a tanned chest and back as the jersey lets through a bit of light.

A tan does no protect you from skin cancer, it is essential, especially in places like Aus that you wear sunblock. There are many sport styles now that are resistant to sweating off.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
If I don't wear it I get sunburnt as simple as that. I wear it all year round, although when it starts to get colder I can wear arm warmers and problem solved with my arms.

TRENDING THREADS