• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sunguard-Specialized with Contador/Cancellera

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Reading all the various reports and what Riis said several weeks ago its looks like thats whats going to happen. Specialized stepped up and guaranteed Riis whatever it takes to bring Contador over. Sunguard said great we'll co-sponsor (confoirmed co-sponsor several weeks ago).

Specialized only whats the deal to be official when they can get maximum exposure by announcing Contador signature.

Sounds like Riis went from having nothing several months ago to one of the best teams around.

Jul 17, 2010
www.traininspain.net
Acording to the reports here in Spain, part of the deal is that Contador is taking with him 4-5 Spanish riders including Navarro which makes sense. Astana can go back to being a primarily national team and Contador keeps his trusted domestiques.

AWESOME!!!

Will Specialized now drop Astana?

If they do, I wonder how much the feedback they rec'd through FB influenced them. Every time the posted something to their fan page, they'd receive a flurry of negative posts from people who just didn't like the Astana arrangement.

Interesting!

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Cerberus said:
He's under contract for 2010, he'd have to be bought free.

That wouldn't be a cheap buy, either. It would make for a truly entertaining team although Cancellera would need some hard classics men to back him up.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
That wouldn't be a cheap buy, either. It would make for a truly entertaining team although Cancellera would need some hard classics men to back him up.

One thing I wonder though is what kind of team budget would it take to afford Cancellara, Contador, Contadors selected helpers, a suitable support team for Cancellara and assorted rif-raf to round up the team? It seem to me that Riis new sponsors is either putting in a huge amount of money, or perhaps Riis would be willing to let BMC buy Cancellara to be able to afford Contador. You have to remember that Schleck was under an old contract written before he was such a big star he "only" got 7 million (ETA: 7 million DKR=1,2Million $ or just short of 1 million €) in 2010 as did his brother. Contador is far more expensive than that.

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
Cerberus said:
One thing I wonder though is what kind of team budget would it take to afford Cancellara, Contador, Contadors selected helpers, a suitable support team for Cancellara and assorted rif-raf to round up the team? It seem to me that Riis new sponsors is either putting in a huge amount of money, or perhaps Riis would be willing to let BMC buy Cancellara to be able to afford Contador. You have to remember that Schleck was under an old contract written before he was such a big star he "only" got 7 million in 2010 as did his brother. Contador is far more expensive than that.

just curious, where did you get the 7 mill figure from, that seemed super high to me, i dont think contador made that at astana

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
1 condition !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alberto Contador in 2011 is expected to defend the colors of the formation of Bjarne Riis, Sungard-Specialized. Since his career, the triple winner of the Tour de France will be confirmed 'only'if the team will be managed by Manolo Saiz in co. with Bjarne Riis.

Source: AS

If that isn't the case the combi will be Manolo Saiz - Yvon Sanquer

Or in the worst cenario, if you can call that Manolo Saiz - Johan Bruyneel

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
lagartija said:
just curious, where did you get the 7 mill figure from, that seemed super high to me, i dont think contador made that at astana

Sorry, I'm an idiot. It's 7 million Danish crows, that's a little less than 1 million Euro or 1,2 million US dollars. I suspect that takes care of most of your skepticism, but my source is this article.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
lagartija said:

I think it's from danish TV2 and in DKR so it's approx 1 million euro. It didn't say where they'd got the numbers so....

Oldman said:

Well, that depends what classics riders they will actually lose. The only riders that have been mentioned to be leaving is Matti Breschel and perhaps O'Grady. Those two would probably have to be replaced but other than that the other riders that took part in Cancellaras winning races are still there as far as we know. Breschel is perhaps the strongest rider they're losing but I don't know how much work he was actually doing for Cancellara. He probably had mostly a protected role himself so the actual loss to Cancellara might be replaceable with someone who is not there to try and win himself.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
Well, that depends what classics riders they will actually lose. The only riders that have been mentioned to be leaving is Matti Breschel and perhaps O'Grady. Those two would probably have to be replaced but other than that the other riders that took part in Cancellaras winning races are still there as far as we know. Breschel is perhaps the strongest rider they're losing but I don't know how much work he was actually doing for Cancellara. He probably had mostly a protected role himself so the actual loss to Cancellara might be replaceable with someone who is not there to try and win himself.

In Dwaars Door Vlanderen Cancellara worked for Breschel. In Ronde Breschel split the field over the early climbs forcing Boonen to mark him, but had a defect before the finale. In Roubaix he had an injury. He probably could have been a big (if unneeded) help, but as the situation was he didn't actually help that much before bad luck or injuries put him out of the race.

DAOTEC said:
Alberto Contador in 2011 is expected to defend the colors of the formation of Bjarne Riis, Sungard-Specialized. Since his career, the triple winner of the Tour de France will be confirmed 'only'if the team will be managed by Manolo Saiz in co. with Bjarne Riis.

If I am reading your post correctly, AC is purportedly tying his joining any team with bringing back Saiz? I hope this is one rumor that turns out not to be true.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
If I am reading your post correctly, AC is purportedly tying his joining any team with bringing back Saiz? I hope this is one rumor that turns out not to be true.

No no.. wait... this is not true Publicus... I've been checking As and Marca but they haven't said anything like that... This guy is joking or trying to troll a little bit...

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
Cerberus said:
Sorry, I'm an idiot. It's 7 million Danish crows, that's a little less than 1 million Euro or 1,2 million US dollars. I suspect that takes care of most of your skepticism, but my source is this article.

all good , i honestly just didnt know, i guess in the present market 1 mill euro for andy seems fair...........:)

May 14, 2010
Visit site
DAOTEC said:

This is the same post you made in another thread. Nice try, Manolo fan (Manolo?). Personally, if Contador wants to consult with Saiz I don't have a problem with it, but he should keep it private and behind closed doors. Anything else would be truly indecent.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Cerberus said:
One thing I wonder though is what kind of team budget would it take to afford Cancellara, Contador, Contadors selected helpers, a suitable support team for Cancellara and assorted rif-raf to round up the team? It seem to me that Riis new sponsors is either putting in a huge amount of money, or perhaps Riis would be willing to let BMC buy Cancellara to be able to afford Contador. You have to remember that Schleck was under an old contract written before he was such a big star he "only" got 7 million in 2010 as did his brother. Contador is far more expensive than that.

Nobody is on 7 million. Rupees, pesos, hell yes but not pounds, US dollars and not Euros. That is an entire team budget. Katusha apparently has the biggest budget of US $20 million. Saxo don't have anywhere near that. Use some common sense in future. A contract over it's duration may amount to $7 million but per annum you can count that out. No pro cyclist is worth that much. Maybe a super doped up hybrid of Merckxx and Contador but that is for the science boffins to create.

TRENDING THREADS