• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Superstitions in cycling

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
williamp78 said:
Pigeon is pretty tasty btw
Here's a pigeon joke, for all the lovers.

Two pensioners are talking to each other in a park:
- Have you brought bread for the pigeons?
- No. I eat them without bread.

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
serfla said:
Here's a pigeon joke, for all the lovers.

Two pensioners are talking to each other in a park:
- Have you brought bread for the pigeons?
- No. I eat them without bread.

I wonder if we can morph this thread into a pigeon humour thread!?

An old couple is on a walk, when a pigeon flies by and deposits a poopy little present on the woman's head.
"Yuck!" yells the woman. "Get some toilet paper."
"What for?" replies the man. "He must be half-a-mile away by now."

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
iZnoGouD said:
Superstition are for weakminded people, if you weak minded you're no cyclist

Back on topic; I too hate superstitions. What I do like however is routine; and I'm guessing that most cyclists aren't actually superstitious but if their routine is changed or hampered then they can be negatively affected by that. As such it may seem that their adherence to a routine can come across as supersition

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Swarley said:
I also know that some riders don't shave their legs on the morning of a race, and don't shave their beards before a ITT.

The first has some kind of logic... They don't have time to do so on the morning of the race and probably they can't bare the itching afterwards during the race.. :D:D

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I heard a very common superstition among southern european riders was to wake up once every hour the night before the race, to stretch the legs and walk around.

Didn't that superstition stop in 2006?

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I heard a very common superstition among southern european riders was to wake up once every hour the night before the race, to stretch the legs and walk around.

Or if it's 1996, check the ol' HR monitor.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Superstitions are only used to psych out opponents or to make an opponent do something dumb to think its helping them.

I personally always sleep with a scale model of a Pyramid under my bed, keeps me safe from all bad things, has worked so far. (Lets see who knows where that one is from :D )