• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Alright. I'm sure we all have had this experience. Riding up the road (or trail) on a hot day and you get that nasty bit of sweat in your eye.You then spend the next however long riding one handed and one eyed until you can figure out how to get your glasses off and get the damned stuff out. All the while, being a danger to yourself and everybody else. QUESTION: How do you stop it from happening in the first place?

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
You been to a parlor and had your eye brows plucked or was you standing in front of a mirrow snipping them to make you more areodynamic.

No you can get sun glasses with a sweat bar across the top they work reasonable well.

sweat hurts like hell in your eyes. you are riding too hard I have trouble with condensation on my forhead

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Old school technique is vaseline above the eyes/eyebrows area. Does work but if you forget and wipe the area with your hand it ends up everywhere.

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
brianf7 said:
You been to a parlor and had your eye brows plucked or was you standing in front of a mirrow snipping them to make you more areodynamic.

No you can get sun glasses with a sweat bar across the top they work reasonable well.

sweat hurts like hell in your eyes. you are riding too hard I have trouble with condensation on my forhead

You can never be too aerodynamic. Any advantage at any cost including ridicule:D. Seriously though, when it gets between 35-40c it's innevitable.
I wonder if that's why some guys wear caps under their helmets, to soak it up.

A

Anonymous

look up Halo Headbands... I've been using these for the last 3 years.

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
SirLes said:
Old school technique is vaseline above the eyes/eyebrows area. Does work but if you forget and wipe the area with your hand it ends up everywhere.

So that's why my best friend does that. I'm not too sweaty and I've never biked for a very long distance so this didn't happen to me yet. Thanks for the tip!

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
+1 on the GUTr. You definitely have to get over the silliness factor but it does work very, very well. If you're careful when putting it on, it's only barely visible beneath the front of the helmet.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
ummm...there are no sweat glands in your eyes, ergo, your eyes do not sweat. ah-hem.

( the stinging may mean you have too much salt in your system or don't sweat enough, I used to sweat like crazy on my indoor rollers and noticed there was no stinging and had no taste-I hydrated a lot too )

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
In fact having looked at the GUTr website I am surprise Pharmstrong doesn't use it... after all they have his lovebuddy McConuaghy promoting it with his picture...

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
ImmaculateKadence said:
I actually maintain a unibrown and tweeze it in a such a way as to irrigate sweat away from eyes and down my cheeks....no seriously.

Finally, Brezhnev's secret is out....

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Archibald said:
GUTr head band - works a treat!
http://www.sweatgutr.com/home.html

Look pretty good, is the back rubbery? I am wondering if it would snag hair and pull it. I also wonder if it was too tight would it give me a headache.

I like the halo but after about 3 years its elasticity is just about done, but I keep using it and it still works. Too cheap to buy a replacement. It's amazing how much these things cost, but since they work, it's an instance of something being worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Has nothing to do with the cost to produce.

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
ravens,

Yes, the back is stretchy. The ends of the rubber section are adjustable in length and you can also interchange different sections of elastic in between (included) to adjust the circumference.

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
2qsbitf.jpg

Il metodo più facile e migliore: Il metodo Andrea Tafi! OK buongiorno ciao!

Lets the breeze in, keeps the sweat out. Perfetto!

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
I just slow down whenever I feel perspiration forming on my brow. It makes my 5km commute take an hour and a half in summer but saves me from the unpleasantness of sweaty eyes and smelly t-shirts...

Seriously, Halo seems to be the goods, or get a pair of Rudy Project SportsMask glasses with an integrated sweat deflector.

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
James Huang said:
+1 on the GUTr. You definitely have to get over the silliness factor but it does work very, very well. If you're careful when putting it on, it's only barely visible beneath the front of the helmet.

My experience with the Sweat GUTr was mixed. The first time I used it I though it did a fantastic job at keeping my eyes dry, but over the next few weeks it got less and less effective. Within a month I just threw it away. It seemed like it just wouldn't seal against my head and the sweat ran behind it and into my eyes. When it works, it is great. Really weird feeling to have that sweat streaking down the side of your head on a ride.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
PainIsYourFriend said:
Alright. I'm sure we all have had this experience. Riding up the road (or trail) on a hot day and you get that nasty bit of sweat in your eye.You then spend the next however long riding one handed and one eyed until you can figure out how to get your glasses off and get the damned stuff out. All the while, being a danger to yourself and everybody else. QUESTION: How do you stop it from happening in the first place?

I just realised what your user name is... you know the real answer, you just HTFU and use the stinging as a reminder to ride faster so you can get to the end of the ride sooner.

Riding with one eye closed, bah, when I was a lad we were lucky to have one eye, and our Pa would wrap that eye in barbed-wire and stick it with a 9-inch nail if we even thought of complaining....

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
badboyberty said:
I just slow down whenever I feel perspiration forming on my brow. It makes my 5km commute take an hour and a half in summer but saves me from the unpleasantness of sweaty eyes and smelly t-shirts...

Seriously, Halo seems to be the goods, or get a pair of Rudy Project SportsMask glasses with an integrated sweat deflector.

and, you have no truck with rudy project, right ?

(I got those, a bit pricey, a bit too delicate to change lenses- but I wouldn't recommend them to keep sweat out of my eyes, I got a shaved head and need to use sunblock at times for protection when a cap is undesirable-and I can't say they protect my eyes from that runoff.

Did you consider that your head is shaped differently than everyone eles's and have a naturally occuring irrigation trough that drains your brow sweat towards the fields hither and yonder as you ride by ( and that is why honeybees are dying ), hmmmm ?

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
Laszlo said:
and, you have no truck with rudy project, right ?

(I got those, a bit pricey, a bit too delicate to change lenses- but I wouldn't recommend them to keep sweat out of my eyes, I got a shaved head and need to use sunblock at times for protection when a cap is undesirable-and I can't say they protect my eyes from that runoff.

Did you consider that your head is shaped differently than everyone eles's and have a naturally occuring irrigation trough that drains your brow sweat towards the fields hither and yonder as you ride by ( and that is why honeybees are dying ), hmmmm ?

I'll admit to be a Rudy stockist. And I'll also admit to being the honey-bee killer. Personally can't remember that many times when I've had too much of an issue with sweat in my eyes while riding, but I've always put that down to my sideburns acting to wick the moisture away.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts