• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Switch from Shimano to SRAM - gears skipping

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I just put a 9 spd Sram chain and cassette on my 9 speed cinelli road bike. Previously I had Shimano DA chain and cassette but I like Sram better.

On the second ride ( a race) the chain was slipping around the cassette a lot and I could only get reliable traction on the 14.

I thought the derailleur might be a little loose but this isn't the problem/

Any ideas? I don't fancy riding any more races with just one gear to work with!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Mongol_Waaijer said:
I just put a 9 spd Sram chain and cassette on my 9 speed cinelli road bike. Previously I had Shimano DA chain and cassette but I like Sram better.

On the second ride ( a race) the chain was slipping around the cassette a lot and I could only get reliable traction on the 14.

I thought the derailleur might be a little loose but this isn't the problem/

Any ideas? I don't fancy riding any more races with just one gear to work with!

I would say a rear der adjust. Could be the first cog and subsequently, the rest may be a little different orientation to the RD than the shimano cogset.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Mongol_Waaijer said:
How do i do that?

this is my first year "sans mechanique" for some time....

having to learn it all either over again or for first time.

Shift to smallest cog. Unhook the rear der inner wire. Use the limit screw to ensure the pulley/chain is lined up with smallest cog. Screw barrel adjuster all the way in. Attach inner wire to rd(under plate, not thru it). Shift once, turn barrel adjuster so that chain/pulley aligned with second cog, shift again and up the cogset. When on highest/biggest, make sure limit screw in such that rear der won't travel past the cogset(Push on the rear der body with you thumb while pedaling. Shouldn't touch the spokes. If this doesn't make sense, go see a bike shop and pay the $5 or so to have them do it.