• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sydney: The city that hates bikes

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Interesting that this article comes out after the one about Clover Moore trying to turn Oxford St, into the cycling hub of sydney. Apparently creating a cycling hub will stop aggression and bad behaviour by patrons of clubs and pubs on the said street.

I live near and work in the Sydney city (Park St), and to be honest, while drivers are anti-cyclists, of that there is no doubt. There are cyclists who I see do stoopid shyte day in and day out. All I can do is shake my head and think to myself idiots like you don't help the situation with cars and cyclists.

I've ridden in Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide.
Sydney and Melbourne drivers are ridiculously aggressive and anti-cycling. Both locations I would classify commuting as borderline combat riding.

I'm so glad I moved to London, where it is far far better for cycling despite the weather...