• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sylvain Georges positive for Heptaminol

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Jancouver said:
What the heck is Heptaminol?

Heptaminol is an amino alcohol which is classified as a vasodilator. It is sometimes used in the treatment of high blood pressure, particularly orthostatic hypotension.

It is classified as a doping substance. In 2008, the cyclist Dmitriy Fofonov was tested positive at the Tour de France.

In 2010 June the swimmer Frédérick Bousquet was tested positive for the substance, allegedly for buying a medicine from the pharmacy

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Jancouver said:
What the heck is Heptaminol?

It something athletes take as they think it will increase their performance. I don't think it does much for performance, but I don't know of any data to back that claim up. (Nor do I know of any data to back up the thesis that it aids performance.)

It's probably used in combination with something else.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Rousel said:
aides also with breathing.....

It counters bronchospasm, muscle spasms of muscles in the walls of the bronchioli (imagine tubes transporting air from the mouth/nose to the air sacks in the lungs). I don't think it aides breathing if you don't have bronchospasms.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Heptaminol is an amino alcohol which is classified as a vasodilator. It is sometimes used in the treatment of low blood pressure, particularly orthostatic hypotension.

It is classified as a doping substance. In 2008, the cyclist Dmitriy Fofonov was tested positive at the Tour de France.

In 2010 June the swimmer Frédérick Bousquet was tested positive for the substance, allegedly for buying a medicine from the pharmacy

Vasodilators are used for the treatment of high blood pressure.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
IndianCyclist said:
What happens now to MPCC:confused:????

No doubt par for the course and what has gone before, the omerta will rule and ag2r will face no sanctions nor miss any races, neither will Lampre.

MPCC is pr nothing else.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Georges claims never having heard of Heptaminol... :eek:

Even I, as non pro rider, IMMEDIATELY though of Valentin of Fofonov. IIRC, Valentin was only banned for six months afterwards. I think that will be Ag2R´s defending strategy: a "real" doping case (Houanard) plus a "minor" case (Georges), so they´ll try to not suspend their schedule.

TRENDING THREADS